• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

G650GS down shifting

Dan D
Has anyone had a problem with down shifting on a 2010 g650gs going from 2nd gear to 1st it goes into neutral not first only 7000 miles on the clock ?

Still in warrantee?

If it is I'd get it into a dealer asap. I've ridden hundreds of motorcycles and never had that problem. More often it will go right down to first and neutral will be hard to find, especially if the clutch is dragging a bit or the primary oil is cold. I suspect a bent shift fork. Will it go into first from neutral? Starting off? Is it a never or always sort of thing or does it sometimes shift ok? I trust you have looked for the obvious things such as an obstructed or bent shift lever? Let us know what you find.

If it is I'd get it into a dealer asap. I've ridden hundreds of motorcycles and never had that problem. More often it will go right down to first and neutral will be hard to find, especially if the clutch is dragging a bit or the primary oil is cold. I suspect a bent shift fork. Will it go into first from neutral? Starting off? Is it a never or always sort of thing or does it sometimes shift ok? I trust you have looked for the obvious things such as an obstructed or bent shift lever? Let us know what you find.

It will go into first after neutral and then change into second no problem but when I come to a stop light change to first it is in neutral not first this happens 6 out of 10 times dealer said there is nothing wrong when they test rode the bike .

I have a 2012 G650GS and have never had a problem. Is the bike still under warrenty???
I have exact same bike & shifts like most BMW'si.e., clunky w/balky neutral search @ times but otherwise no problemo. Maybe was too cold for the machine to be out playing?:laugh

take your ? to ADV "g650GS thread in Thumpers & to F650 forum for far more looks.

neutral in parking lots

Dear Abby,

G650GS Sertao... rode hard... I can find neutral between 2nd and 3rd in middle of a river crossing but not in McD parking lot.

Am I shiftless?

KurtzinPA:scratch

Shifting issues

My G650GS has had shifting issues on occasion. There seems to be many neutrals hidden in the gear box. At times It will not stay in first gear, it slides back to neutral. Maybe because it is a long throw shift lever?

Back