• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW ON December 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm cutting both Mike & Vince some slack here. Mike makes frequent & lucid comments in the Forum. Vince seems to try for a better ON over time. It's not my perfect MC mag so I "cruise through" the parts of no interest.
My larger complaint away from content aspects that I don't find interesting (pics of people at rally as an e.g.) is the "too artsy" attempts at "colorizing" pages of script. Makes for difficult reading. "Artsy" I get as I am trained in & do art but legibility certainly trumps colored backgrounds on pages. This is also seen in for profit mags too & obnoxious.
What kind of articles is ON looking for these days? Perhaps I'm missing the spot where you see that info as seems to be rarely mentioned in ON?

I've had conversations with the ON staff on this very issue. It is "trendy" in publishing to print text on photos. It is almost always hard to read. My best friend was a magazine Art Director for his whole career and, when I asked him, said it was just bad design and it would fade away soon.

To the credit of the Media Team, after my conversations they did refrain from printing text on photos. Some of the text on colored backgrounds is more readable than others.

What kind of articles are they looking for? The kind of articles you would love to read. Reading your posts it is obvious that you are a skilled writer and have tales to tell and photos to go with. Looking forward to your first article.

I take offense to your linking our loyalty and forgiveness ( your words) to how a political party operates. We know political parties blindly stick together even when their positions have been silly or even proven wrong. We support the ON staff because we appreciate the work they do for us.

I do, however, appreciate that you've called us loyal and forgiving. Two qualities one can only be proud to be recognized for.

Amen Brother, Amen!

EXCELLENT!

Last time I was in a Staples store I noticed that pencils still came with erasers attached to the end, and they even have ink pens that the ink is erasable! Imagine that! I guess people still make mistakes in 2013.

And there are delete/edit buttons as well. Already is a spell/grammar check...how about are you sure you want to send this? button:laugh

My dear old mom was a teacher/professor/writer and always red penciled my writings as I know she did while teaching...sure miss my mom!

As a volunteer here on the forum...I try my best to self edit:whistle....sometimes I get/need some help whether I need it or not

I'm not paid to say this or drink blue Kool-Aid, however, I do cut some slack to club style communications,which this magazine is all about...Now to the editors of say, the Webster's encyclopedias, or Scientific American ...well, maybe a higher expectation:type

I think there should be an UNSEND button.
For that foot-in-mouth moment, you know you've been there. I have.

Not kissing butt, this is OUR publication let the cards fall where they may.
It is appreciated.

I think there should be an UNSEND button.
For that foot-in-mouth moment, you know you've been there. I have.

Not kissing butt, this is OUR publication let the cards fall where they may.
It is appreciated.

Well there is!

It takes the form of "Edit Post", "Delete"

Wow, you guys make it really hard to let go and move on.

So, let me get this straight: This is our magazine. There is a substantial bungle in one issue - not just a spelling error, but in the event section, which some may use to make plans, a whole event that takes place in North Carolina is being deleted and replaced by a duplicate description of another event - the person who is responsible for this is being paid for it, not a volunteer, one of us points that out and voices his dissatisfaction with this. Now the majority in the community considers this "bad form" and prefers this would not have been mentioned??
Is this it?:scratch

If so, let me ask you, at what point is it O.K. to voice your concerns that the magazine goes "down the tubes" ?

And this doesn't have anyhting to do with being pc???

Mike, There are two differences between us on how this situation should be perceived and addressed. Firstly, I do not think the error you pointed out is as significant as you do; no lives were lost nor children endangered. Secondly, I can see no increase in the chances of the error being corrected, and not repeated, by using your method of public denouncement as opposed to making a phone call or sending an email to the staff of the ON. Just my opinion, but your approach has created a great deal of traffic, yet you still do not know if the appropriate person is aware of the error. None of this is worth whipping -up any ire.

How do you know that I have not send an e-mail or letter to the ON??

I always thought this here was the MOA member forum and as such a platform to discuss issues that concern membership. It should be proper and totally acceptable for a member to express his/her opinion about issues that concern membership, including the publication that is part of membership benefits.

I read posts that bash BMW for their policies and interaction with owners and nobody stands up and demonizes the poster, although these things have less of a place here than talking about poor magazine layout and editing.

I wish all of you ongoing and unlimited happiness with the ON and that none of you will ever find a reason to sit back and think: What the heck am I looking at?

I really want to move on from here. I will not delete the original post unless the moderators ask me to, because I think it has its value to put on record that there is one MOA member who is not quite satisfied with how the magazine is managed. But I will no longer participate in this particular discussion.

How do you know that I have not send an e-mail or letter to the ON??

I always thought this here was the MOA member forum and as such a platform to discuss issues that concern membership. It should be proper and totally acceptable for a member to express his/her opinion about issues that concern membership, including the publication that is part of membership benefits.

I read posts that bash BMW for their policies and interaction with owners and nobody stands up and demonizes the poster, although these things have less of a place here than talking about poor magazine layout and editing.

I wish all of you ongoing and unlimited happiness with the ON and that none of you will ever find a reason to sit back and think: What the heck am I looking at?

I really want to move on from here. I will not delete the original post unless the moderators ask me to, because I think it has its value to put on record that there is one MOA member who is not quite satisfied with how the magazine is managed. But I will no longer participate in this particular discussion.

Wow. Seriously? People express opinions that differ from yours and you react by taking your ball and going home, so to speak? :scratch

Wow. Seriously? People express opinions that differ from yours and you react by taking your ball and going home, so to speak? :scratch

WOW! You guy are trying so hard to turn the tables on Mike because you don't like his point, or marginally agree, or simply don't like his negativity. You beat on him hoping that he will shut up so you can seemingly eliminate the problem by eliminating the "whistle blower." And you REALLY get torqued when he is not intimidated and defends himself. How dare he?

Get a life. These sorts of opinions (like Mike's) are what forums are to be about. I know Mike has tough skin, and is a great guy, so none of you can intimidate him. Mike has an opinion and he has a right to express it, and defend it.

I guess we are too much into the politically correct, "touchy-feely" era, and just don't like to think negative thoughts anymore. We all, I guess, want too much to feel good. Don't bother me with negativity.

I recently got blasted in a round-about way by someone in the mag. Hey I can take it.

MODS..........how long must I put up with this tag-teaming from these two guys. This is a prime example. Of all of the people they could come back at with their rudeness and harrassment, they once again pick me for whatever their twisted reason.

The above reply rant is in the previous response is an example of how these two twist what is said into what THEY want to read and see that is written to meet THEIR needs. NOT what is real. I truly DO NOT understand why I have to put up with this. HELP........GOD BLESS.........Dennis

This comment is flat out ridiculous and an example for people read what they want to read, not what is written. I said I am quitting THIS HERE particular thread, not the forum. What do you want me to do? The collective participants clobber me for putting this thread up and you complain that I quit it?

Well, seeing we have moved into something completely unproductive, with the end result being bad feelings among members. Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back