Thread: 2009 f800gs

2009 f800gs

We are about to go look at a 2009 F800GS that would augment, not replace Annie's F650GS. The bike reportedly has 4700 miles and is heavily accessorized.

Before I go look at the 800 I'd like to know if there are any quirks peculiar to the 09 and if there are any recalls to check on ( I believe they were recalled to replace the chains).
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    ( I believe they were recalled to replace the chains).
    There was a chain recall on my '08 no big deal.
    I sent you a PM a few days ago, I was wondering if you received it.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Gary, got the PM. The issue is with my wife's access to the forum. We use Mac almost exclusively. I haven 't looked into trying to fix it yet.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I picked up a used 09 as an add on bike. I've been real pleased with it. Tough as nails, handles well on gravel in off road and does a passable job on the freeway. With boxes on the back my mileage is no better than my RT however. Good luck - I think you will like it.
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

Dealer can check for recalls from the VIN- coolant hose, axle, chain (and sprockets for free). non-recall issues are disintegrating wheel bearings, which are an easy fix if you get them before they blowup- I check mine at every tire change, and replaced the rear bearings & seals at ~25K miles.
    bike currently has 32K on it.. great bike, really love it.
    check advrider for more thorough discussions. some have noted bending/breaking upper shock bolts, but that seems most common amongst those who are more aggressive off-road..
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Great Bike

I have over 70000km on the bike, other then the chain recall here are a few of the issues I had so far. The bike never let me down on the side of the road!

1. Fan motor, replace under warranty, spin the fan once in awhile it will prevent a bad motor, after riding thru rain
    2. Wheel bearing rusting up, checked every tire changed and replaced, 2 so far. PS I re-grease them each year.
    3. Battery, replace under warranty
    4. Headlight bulb

Other issues were created be me having a bad day, but the bike is still good to go. Got a rock on the headlight lens, 450$ late and a guard no more issues. 3 sets of chains and sprockets and tires (almost 20000km per year.

hope it helps

Garry