• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Front Fork Brace

rapz

I'm switching out my ATE brakes to the Bosch brakes on my '79 RT and I don't really know the year of the newer lowers but they are different than the ATE lowers. I don't know the year on the Bosch lowers, but would like to know what fork brace might fit. Is there a generic size brace for the lowers? I figure it has to be an early 80's set of lowers, but can't be sure. Appreciate any recommendations.

The switch to Brembo front brakes and handlebar mounted master cylinder occurred for 1981 model year. You can source parts from '81-'84 models only, as it changed again for 1985 and isn't backwards compatible from then on. Look for fork brace compatible with '81-'84 models.

You may discover that the holes for the fender mount may not line up correctly on your '79 fender.

Yes, sorry, it is Brembo Brakes. Thanks for the information. I'll look for the '81 to '84 compatible fork brace.

You may discover that the holes for the fender mount may not line up correctly on your '79 fender.

Once I get the bike on the highway to evaluate the switch and if I stay with the Brembo setup then I'll get a body guy to retro fit the fender unless I can find one. I hate to change it and may leave it. I'm still debating with myself to leave it "as is" with that tall narrow fairing and lowers or just make a cafe racer out of it.

Fender braces for Brembo brake fronts are fairly common

You may find some OEM braces in the flea market right here or that IBMW may have the one you need if you stick with Brembo's. While your at it you may think about getting some stainless brakelines as well.

You may find some OEM braces in the flea market right here or that IBMW may have the one you need if you stick with Brembo's. While your at it you may think about getting some stainless brakelines as well.

I haven't changed out the 'under the tank' master cylinder to the one on the handle bars. I know that isn't as much pressure as I need, but I wanted to hold off on that switch until I make the final decision on the Brembo calipers.

Go to the handlebar mounted master; I'm doing that with my ATE's this winter. The under-tank setup is ridiculous! (They did it why? Because earlier drum-braked models had clean bars??)
I just upgraded my Yamaha FJ1200 to R-1 brakes, what an improvement! Brake upgrades are something I think everyone should work at, because modern traffic doesn't care what your original brakes could do.

Back