• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Winter storage tasks, well, one of them

Avgas

Yeah it is slightly off the books, so to speak, but I have never been stopped and had anyone test the fuel in my tank. And I don't do it for the octane- It is just because it is so good for storage. There are no other benefits, real or imagined. If there was still 80/87 avgas around, which had very little to no lead in its final days, I'd use that. I can tell you the bikes run fine on all these, but it is just that one winter tank. I could always drain it back out and put it in the airplane, which by the way, normally burns 87 octane car gas (legally). So let's say I do that, and it's going into the plane in the spring. 100LL is about 5.50 a gallon, for those who were asking. And road taxes are paid on avgas- it's not like heating oil for diesel fuel. But it is an off-road fuel because of the lead. I'd rather have no-lead with the storage lifetime, to tell the truth. At my plane annuals, before I could find no-ethanol gas, and ran 100LL, the plugs always had lead clinkers. With car gas in the plane (legally, with an EAA STC), the plugs are so clean I think someone has already cleaned them. And it's about 2 dollars a gallon cheaper.

For me, I just drained the tank, and removed it, drained out all remaining fuel. Then oiled it up inside all over. Hung it on the hook. Drained out all fuel from carbs & fuel lines.

Will spray all over bike with a light oil similar to WD-40 (LPS #2) today. Then, when I feel like it, and weather isn't too cold, will do my projects - remove tranny and grease splines, and re-grease swingarm bearings. I also want to replace pushrod tube seals - they seep oil. Disconnect battery from ground.

Done, I think.

100 ll

I lived down the road from a small airport in SC and that is all I ran in my /5. It loved the gas, but it was also about $6.00 a gallon.

O.K., then get in your car and drive up here. I have more than enough projects to keep you busy. Some even on BMWs:wave

I don't think you can afford me. My rates are too high! Although, I may stop by - just to make my final plans on that break-in!

I've already figured your dogs are easy - just pet them and give them a snack. I am just trying to figure out how to take care of the fingerprints, and then there is that security camera to disble.....

Still thinking . . .

I sure could use a couple of new (to me) BMW's! Of course, I would have to go over them with a fine-toothed comb because of their current owner's terrible maintenance program. I figure that stealing them would be like "freeing" them from a terrible bondage. I need to pull this off while the owner is completely disabled.

I charge the batteries. I change the oil if they're at the point where a change is required (approx. 3000 miles or so). I fill the tanks full and add the appropriate amount of Stabil. I take them for a short ride around the neighborhood. I park them in my garage, on their centerstands and cover them up with the appropriate motorcycle cover. See you in the spring, girls. I don't want to turn this into an oil thread, but I use Mobil 1 15/50, so I'm not too concerned with acidity, breakdown, etc. I've been doing this same routine for 14 years on the airhead. Come spring, I check the tire pressures, if they turn over, I attempt to start without further charging of the battery. I've never had one fail to start.

This is not a recommendation to ANYONE about how to set up your bikes for storage. This is just what I do, and it seems to work for me. For the record, I usually get them ready for storage the first week of December, and usually bring them out the last week in March, so we're talking about approximately 4 months of down time.

Spray some fogging oil in the cylinders and put steel wool in the mufflers to keep mice out. Drain gas from tank/remove carb bowls, keep batt charged. Seems to work.

Winter Storage

There seems to be a lot of guessing in this thread, and, some downright WRONG information.
Besides gunking and washing and drying (do drying on last ride?), waxing, and an oil change (usually but not necessarily with a filter change, and the things that go along with a filter change, depending on model, and if a cooler, etc...); and a final 10 mile minimum ride........some basics are:
Lubricate the barrels of the cables where they fit the bar levers (always the clutch, the brake only if you have front drum brake).
Lubricate the other areas, such as the swing arm pivots, rear pedal pivot, ETC.
Drain the fuel tank. Remove the petcock(s). There are 5 types of petcocks....some have outlet screens, some have screens in the tank, ETC. Be sure screens are clean. The tall screen in the tank was originally made with NO BONDED metal washer. If yours is like that, replace with the later bonded metal washer type, and discard the cambric gasket-washer used on the original style.
With the petcocks off, FLUSh the tank with common dish detergent and water, and then just water, and do a good job. A garden hose is fine.
Empty as much water as you can, then put tank in an area where air can rise through the petcock holes and dry the tank 100%. You will want the tank cap open, or if a screw type, removed. I do mine over house floor heater register outlet....it takes a day or three.
If the petcock was stiff operating, take it apart and clean and lubricate with faint amount of silicone grease (common autoparts store dielectric grease). Inspect the parts though, might need replacing (usually NOT).
Empty the carburetor bowls, replace carefully to not injure the body cork gasket.
Inspect aftermarket filters and hoses.

Today's rotgut gasoline does not store well, even with something like Stabil in it. Hence my recommendation of cleaning and drying of the tank. This will also prevent bottom moisture, which collects normally in fuel tanks, from rotting the bottom out.

If the oil change (and filter if scheduled) is done as I said, above, there is NO REASON to change the oil again, in the spring.

You can store the bike on or off the tires. Normal pressures or even a bit more. If the bike has NYLON carcasses, I suggest raising the wheels off the floor.

DO NOT use aviation gasoline in an Airhead except for a cup per tank...for valve/seats protection, early models. BTW...the INcrease in octane on aviation gasoline comes from TWO areas, one is a goodly dose of tetraethyl lead, and the other is that av-gas is vastly purer than road pump gas. Av-gas WILL store for many years. A small amount (illegal) in the normal fuel load will protect the old valves and seats of the pre-1981 bikes. There is a full article on it on my website.

Aviation gasoline burns badly in Airheads if used in concentrations over around 25 or 30%. DO NOT fill the tank with av-gas. Not only is it hard starting (poor volatility due to Reid Vapor Pressure specification) but it will carbon up the head and piston, and probably even the rings. Under some circumstances this is reversed and the engine will run quite hot in the combustion chamber.

Do NOT cover the bike if it is outdoors, where the wind can cause the covering to flap about. If it has to be outdoors, be sure the covering is well-affixed.

End of summer is a good time to consider other chores, such as the annual rite of changing the brake fluid.

ETC.

snowbum

There seems to be a lot of guessing in this thread, and, some downright WRONG information...

If the oil change (and filter if scheduled) is done as I said, above, there is NO REASON to change the oil again, in the spring...

Do NOT cover the bike if it is outdoors, where the wind can cause the covering to flap about. If it has to be outdoors, be sure the covering is well-affixed....
snowbum

Thanks so much! I'll skip the spring oil change and make sure the Bike Barn is well anchored.

O.K., so now that all the guessing has been ended and the wrongs have been corrected, we are done with this thread:thumb At least I am:dance

Back