• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Odometer and trip distances different on 1991 K75RT

WalterK75

I just got back from a ride and noticed the difference between the odometer and trip distances recorded. I rode 88.00 kms and the odometer should have read 120,822 kms, but it read 120,924 kms! Off by 102 kms. First time I've ever seen this one. I don't mind putting on kms, but at least I should be actually riding them.

I'm assuming the mechanism just clicked over improperly and it's a one time thing. Fingers crossed.

Any other ideas about this?

There have been problems with the little plastic gears that operate the odometer on K bike instrument clusters.. they loose teeth. Usually that results in a non-working odometer, but I would guess if the lost tooth ended up in the wrong way, it could result in the odometer registering more miles than it should have. The odometer is driven by a small stepper motor in the cluster through a small gear-chain.

There was someone somewhere who made replacement gears, and there was a writeup on replacing them, but I can't really recall where.. you might take a looksee on the IBMWR K-tech pages. If it was documented - that's likely where you'll find it. www.ibmwr.org

I just got back from a ride and noticed the difference between the odometer and trip distances recorded. I rode 88.00 kms and the odometer should have read 120,822 kms, but it read 120,924 kms! Off by 102 kms. First time I've ever seen this one. I don't mind putting on kms, but at least I should be actually riding them.

I'm assuming the mechanism just clicked over improperly and it's a one time thing. Fingers crossed.

Any other ideas about this?

Perhaps the odometer measures the back wheel, and the trip meter measures the front wheel?

JUST Kidding !! :wave

I was just trying to add a little levity!

Back