Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rear wheel bearing failure

Quote Originally Posted by barmar View Post
    Hello ,
    What specifically did you use for bearing replacement : Timkins? Do you have Brand and part numbers for the seals and bearings?
    Thanks ,
    Mark
    Welcome to the forum!
    I did mine on the F800GS a while back, here is the link here-
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....gs-on-a-F800GS
    The bearings are easily crossed for a local purchase.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Receipt says 5 sealed bearings, 62042RS, sized 30x47x7, and one (for the front) at 25x47x7, and 4 seals (3 at 30x57x7, one at 25x47x7).
    Seals happened to be Timkin, the bearings were ZVL, a Slovakian made bearing. I had been told to use eastern Euro bearings, NOT Chinese!
    total price for 5 bearings and 4 seals was $60.

OEM original front bearings are still good at 35K.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Here's what I used in the rear

Added a bit more grease as most are shipped with very little.

The front bearings seem to last far longer than the rear...less weight, stress and general abuse I assume.

And stick to Japanese or European made. Most good bearing shops will have what you need!

Welcome to the forum! Kinda scary how little grease is in a sealed bearing. I haven't done the fronts yet but a wheel-on check seems good. I bought all 5 bearings and seals + 1 extra of each for around $100.00
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Kinda scary how little grease is in a sealed bearing. I haven't done the fronts yet but a wheel-on check seems good. I bought all 5 bearings and seals + 1 extra of each for around $100.00
    OM
    Thanks! Finally decided to join here...

Just got the Anonymous book, I had no idea it was the resource that it is

I was surprized as well at the lack of grease. I ended up getting the bearings for about $15 each. Have yet to touch the fronts other than to check. I end up checking the rear set at least twice a year and every time I take the rear tire off.

Riding for the SON
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    OM
    They do don't need much grease. To much grease and they will run hotter. Adding grease give more chance of contamination. What you add may not be compatible with what is already in the bearing.