• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are these on a 2002 F650GS?

rdhudson

RD'nNH&AZ
Hey all, hey allhey allhey all There seems to be an echo in here. Where is everybody? I just bought a 2002 F650GS with a set of aluminum panniers. What brand are they? I got the picture off Craig's list as I haven't picked up the bike yet. 32,000 miles used on/off road seems to be in good mechanical shape. We'll see. Gotta go update my profile.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 7.54.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 7.54.53 AM.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 7.55.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 7.55.06 AM.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Congrats on the new bike

First thought was Zega-Touratech...but most I have seen have four handles on lids

also maybe a 2002 model by hepco & becker

hepco becker.jpg

Attachments

• ZEGA.jpg
    ZEGA.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 147
Hey all, hey allhey allhey all There seems to be an echo in here. Where is everybody? I just bought a 2002 F650GS with a set of aluminum panniers. What brand are they? I got the picture off Craig's list as I haven't picked up the bike yet. 32,000 miles used on/off road seems to be in good mechanical shape. We'll see. Gotta go update my profile.

Bike is still posted on Craigslist in Phoenix as for sale.

Thanks it is

I am on my way to pick up the bike as soon as I finish coffee. I am guessing Gary will pul the ad down soon. Thanks for the info on the panniers.
BTW I got a HUGE discount and paid only about 2/3 of the asking price as Gary was returning to CA and had resolved not to take the bike back. I hope it was a case of being there at the right time.
Glad to know you are watching this forum.
-Ralph

As a heads up on where the thumper action is alive & kicking: go to ADV- "Thumpers" & several threads therein(G650GS,Sertao & more) with daily posts(yes some are a bit trivial/ conversational MC talk, some very helpful. The other action forum (with daily posts & some readers with lots of experience & a few carry overs from the Chain Gang) is F650 which also serves as the location for all the various thumpers, has it's own classifieds,etc.. When I really want info here I post in gear or anything besides this section as its(as you noticed)poorly attended.

Thanks it is

Got the bike home today, easy purchase and nice guy as a seller.

Thanks for the advice, I did get what I wanted. The Moto Sport Pannier company seems to be gone. I found a link on f650.com to mspanniers.com and it is a dead end. What I need can be fabricated, just some fatigued Aluminum and pop rivets which I can do.
The rack is tweaked so I am going to try to use a jack to CAREFULLY bend it back into shape. I started to make a list of needs and it is surprisingly short.....

Two grips to repair the rubber on the heated grips (good repair info on ADV rider and F650.com), about a dozen misc short bolts (thumpers vibrate?) and a right side hand protector and roundel. Adds up to $75, the bolts will be sourced locally. The bike also needs the annual maintenance done which I will do to learn about these bikes.

I need to know what Krylon or which car touch-up is a reasonable match for the BMW yellow as I have just a few small chips. Perhaps I'll split for the dealer's paint.

Ralph

... a few carry overs from the Chain Gang) is F650..

Umm... F650.com IS the Chain Gang :confused:

Good find Ralph. Congrats on the new purchase. As far as the yellow paint, be aware that the 2001 - 2003 and 2004 - 2005 yellows are different. My 2005 is Yellow2. Here's a good comparison - 2001 on the left and 2005 on the right.

DSCN4123-M.jpg

Last edited:
Paint

Yea the paint on the 2002 is really a cross between yellow and orange. I took the center tank tupperware stripe in to the hardware store and compared it to all the colors. Machine and Implement Caterpillar Yellow Gloss at ACE Hardware #17137 is real close. Good enough to cover the scratches that are through the paint. BTW MAXBMW does not show the origional touch up as available. It goes on more yellow but dries to a bit lighter orange. Good at 6 feet!

Good to see you here in addition to the ADV site.

As a heads up on where the thumper action is alive & kicking: go to ADV- "Thumpers" & several threads therein(G650GS,Sertao & more) with daily posts(yes some are a bit trivial/ conversational MC talk, some very helpful. The other action forum (with daily posts & some readers with lots of experience & a few carry overs from the Chain Gang) is F650 which also serves as the location for all the various thumpers, has it's own classifieds,etc.. When I really want info here I post in gear or anything besides this section as its(as you noticed)poorly attended.

This site can be active?

I for one was wondering if this site had viewers. The number of current viewers is always low. Until more of us use this site, both the suggested ones are better resources. There is no reason for this one not to be more active. I hope you don't mind that I posted to the others on the same issue. I have seen some $marta$$ and not so helpful responses on other sites. It often makes me laugh. Someone usually gets the question answered which seems important. All three sites have their strengths. I'm new on ADV but respect the amount of info on it. Glad to know there are folks from over there that watch here.

F650AZ.jpg
I have the panniers repainted (hammer tone with tan bed liner inside) and straightened the racks and added some reflection and corner bumpers. The bike has cleaned up well and loves to out amongst the Saguaro.

Last edited:
Back