• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Only took 46 years, but now it a classic

miairhead

OMAHA, Neb. ? Donald DeVault wonders what kind of memories his Triumph motorcycle helped make in the 46 years since it was stolen.

The 73-year-old Omaha man learned last week that California authorities had recovered his 1953 Triumph Tiger 100 at the Port of Los Angeles. The bike was about to be shipped to Japan when customs agents who checked the vehicle identification number discovered it had been reported stolen in February 1967.
DeVault says he's talked about the motorcycle over the years. He recalls Marlon Brando riding a similar bike in the movie "The Wild One."

Once he gets it back, DeVault plans to have someone restore the bike's name and paint "46 Years Later" on the gas tank.

The bike was valued at $300 in 1967. Today, it's worth about $9,00

Interesting. I hope somebody tries to export my stolen in 1970 Ducati 250 soon?:dance
More than likely it has been on ebay as parts or having been restored. If you post the number with a Ducati club & the MC shows up, do I still have legal ownership? Just a curious question, no hope it happens involved.
In contrast to the Triumph story-My fairly large gun collection(FWIW,I don't have one like that now) was stolen in 1969 & each serial number was entered into NCIS system. I find it interesting that the guy gets his MC back but not a single one of many stolen firearms is usually recovered in spite of a system to do so & a nation full of gun worry warts & federal laws that have many gun purchases recorded into federal information system? As a side note, on the same day my guns were stolen, a "local" & world famous psychiatrist had his stamp collection stolen. It was front page news and all the stops were pulled out to find his stamps. I know this based on inability to get my situation any attention at that time. This story could be much longer as I later learned the sheriff had my guns in his possession & the guy left the state , having stolen public $$$ too. I never got a thing back!
Actually, I'm really surprised the guy got the bike back given governments proven lack of ability to keep track of anything.

Back