• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hex Head vs Cam Head

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
What are the advantages of the Cam Head over the Hex Head ? I have a 2005 RT and I'm thinking of trading for a 90th edition RT (love the all black). And I'm thinking of maybe waiting a few years on the Wet Head.

Less dashboard reflection
Has dashboard control for headlight adjustment
No whizzy brakes
No fuel strip (2011)
Reinforced fuel pump inlet
Steel rear wheel hub
Power is more usable
Will probably have chrome exhaust
FD has drain plug
ASC retrofittable if not factory
Mirrors don't knock off
Better factory GPS mount

Less dashboard reflection
Has dashboard control for headlight adjustment
No whizzy brakes
No fuel strip (2011)
Reinforced fuel pump inlet
Steel rear wheel hub
Power is more usable
Will probably have chrome exhaust
FD has drain plug
ASC retrofittable if not factory
Mirrors don't knock off
Better factory GPS mount

I've owed both. Whizzy brakes went away after '06. 5 extra hp was nice/more useable? ASC could be retro fitted to my '09. Mirrors look the same to me. '09 hex head had a fd drain plug.

Mirrors are different and there's a new tool in the toolkit for taking them off.

Camhead has tune-on-the-fly exhaust system that maximizes torque for given rpm.

• Hexhead = easier to adjust the valves, no shim kit needed. Oil filler on the correct side for the engine (same side as the sight window)
  • Camhead = valves need adjusting less frequently, probably. Oil filler on starboard side, oil window on port side - what WERE they thinking about when they did that?

Dunno about all the other things. If Kent sez so, it's probably so..

I'm in the same boat. I have my nice '06 which I love, but I have been eyeing the 90th and hoping they start putting some on sale once the new wetheads start shipping. It's a tough wait.

It seems like the Camheads have most of the problems fixed from previous 1200 models. I'm curious if the drive shaft is more robust as well (having just helped my buddy get his u-joints replaced after failure at 35k on his '07 RT).

I test drove a hex head back to back with a cam head. I bought the cam head mostly because I felt it came away from stops better as if there is more torque available just off idle. The tri color paint job didn't hurt either.

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

As regards filling motor with oil, perhaps the change to the right side makes it all easier when on sidestand ... when the sight glass isn't so good anyway. This may be more useful for GS than RT ... or not. Took a lot of years to come up with this "improvement.."

And, camheads have two screws holding valve cover on vs four for hexhead--woo hoo.

As regards filling motor with oil, perhaps the change to the right side makes it all easier when on sidestand ... when the sight glass isn't so good anyway. This may be more useful for GS than RT ... or not. Took a lot of years to come up with this "improvement.."
That they did away with on the wethead- filler is again on the port side. Since you have no idea how much oil is in the bike (except way too little) - checking it on the sidestand really isn't the way to go.
And, camheads have two screws holding valve cover on vs four for hexhead--woo hoo.

I test drove a hex head back to back with a cam head. I bought the cam head mostly because I felt it came away from stops better as if there is more torque available just off idle.

I went from the R1150RT to the hex head. One of the only down sides was that the hex head clearly had less low-end torque. I believe that was one of the problems that the cam head was created to fix.

Back