• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My Update From Lima

Thought I would post a few remarks for those poor souls who couldn't make it.

Weather - VERY hot in the sun but not too bad in the shade. It feels like it's 20 degrees hotter in the sun. Severe weather moved in Thursday night with people at our hotel thinking it was a tornado and scrambling to put their expensive bikes as close to the building as possible.

The Crowd- Huge. As of 5:00 on Friday, Registration reported 7100 in attendence. Peole are scrambling for shade. MOA installed a misting station that is in high demand. The hotel parking lots are full of Beemers - the town is overrun with motorcycles.

Airforce Museum. Spend today (Friday) at the Airforce Museum and I'm really happy we were able to take this in. SPECTACULAR! WOW. You'll never see a nicer selection of rare and cool planes. This is a must see involving 3 large hangers (airconditioned!)

That's about it....if you are reading this from work or home we'll hoist one in your honor!

As long as you can keep safe. I too will hoist one for you guys. Granted I'd rather have a rally beer then one at home.

Have fun!

The good and the bad

I arrived a little after noon on Thursday and found the campgrounds were filling up rapidly. All of the shaded spots were gone and there seemed to be little level ground left - a surprise since I had the impression that there would be abundant good camping space.
It was insanely hot. Some friends and I took refuge at the Texas Roadhouse for an early dinner and lingered there for a couple of hours to rehydrate on iced tea and enjoy the air conditioning.
We got back to the campgrounds minutes before the storm front roared through. Our tents and bikes were spared, but I know of one case where a tarp sunshade went airborne and one of the aluminum poles speared through the side of a tent and an airmattress inside. Fortunately, the tent owner was over at Wal-Mart at the time - otherwise she might have been injured or perhaps even killed. Anyone using these things should give a thought to what can happen in a big blow and either strike them when they leave their site or make sure someone nearby knows to take them down if the weather turns violent.
Yesterday started reasonably cool, but the heat was oppressive by noon and I finally threw in the sweat-soaked towel about 4 p.m., packed my stuff and rode home to Indiana.
It's hard to fault the rally organizers. Under normal weather conditions, it was a completely acceptable site, albeit a little short on camping space given the turnout. But when it gets hot enough for the National Weather Service to issue a heat advisory and there are no air conditioned buildings on the grounds (at least I didn't find any), it stops being fun.
On the plus side - kudos to the Beer Garden people for giving out free O'Doul's to folks who like the taste of beer, but don't want to ride buzzed and a hats off to all of the volunteers who pitched in to help make things run more smoothly.
This was my 15th 'MOA rally since Laguna Seca in 1986. The only one I can remember that compared with this one in terms of oppressive heat was Madison, IN in '87. Yeah, it was hot at Spokane last year, but the humidity was low and there was air conditioning available.
You know it's hot when people leaving the showers are getting asked, "Is there any cold water left?"
I'm looking forward to Burlington, Vt., next year and more reasonable temperatures.
And then Fairbanks in '07.

Redmond and Charleston featured air conditioned arenas.

Yes, I agree with all the above. I had planned on staying until Sunday bit tossed in the towel when I could not get a shower. Three days of sweat can make you miserable. All in all it was a good time. My 05 LT got knocked down (UGHHHH) during the storm. There was plenty of camping spots available as we found out leaving this morning. However the "close to the action" camping area was packed like nothing I have ever experienced. The rally staff did an exceptional job!!
Jim

The camping thing

I had already decided to go to the loud camping are before leaving home. I arrived around 4:30 local time thursday and there were acres of unused camping and I didn't get the last piece of shade. I think that every one was so worried about the rowdy camp side that the event inverted itself and the place designated as loud ended up being the quiet area and vice-versa.

On a different topic, a question for indy GT. I saw a very bad accident going thru Indy last saturday returning from mid-Ohio. (THAT WAS MISERABLE!) In the crash, a motorist spun out in the rain and hit a bike that had stopped under the overpass. Was it a fatality? There were sevral cars stopped when I went by, but no cops or paramedics.

woodnsteel said:
On a different topic, a question for indy GT. I saw a very bad accident going thru Indy last saturday returning from mid-Ohio. (THAT WAS MISERABLE!) In the crash, a motorist spun out in the rain and hit a bike that had stopped under the overpass. Was it a fatality? There were sevral cars stopped when I went by, but no cops or paramedics.

It was apparently not a fatality. I checked the Associated Press and The Indianapolis Star online archives and found no mention of it. They only report fatalities.

--tossed in the towel when I could not get a shower--
There are truck stop showers all along I75.

Showers where a HUGE problem, I even thought waiting until 12:00AM but there were lines out the doors with little or no hot water :-(

Very good rally except for the "LOUD" camping area. We found some really nice people on the North side of the park. And I understand what "LOUD" means...but there was a fairly large group of BUTT Holes with such bad behavior until 2:30 AM Friday and Sat night. Someone fetched the Police because of their child like behavior. (For a minute I thought I was at a Harley Rally, without the breasts) Blowing some seashell horn, screaming at the top of their lungs, urinating on tents and two drunken broads stole a golf cart and we were sure they would drive over someone while in their tent driving while heavily intoxicated. I have never in my 41 years seen such immature behavior and hope this never is repeated. A few people left as a result of their turn off and said they never expected this at their (First) BMW rally. :cry

Maybe the rally organizers can use some sort of aptitude test in the future to see whether or not people of this caliber should even be allowed. Teenagers even know when to draw the line.

Friends and fellow riders where great company and very friendly otherwise. Air Force museum was truly amazing! And the vendors where great.including the food and that Home Made Ice cream? Man..I start my diet tomorrow ;-)

See you all next year! :thumb
Tomas

tominator said:
Very good rally except for the "LOUD" camping area. We found some really nice people on the North side of the park. And I understand what "LOUD" means...but there was a fairly large group of BUTT Holes with such bad behavior until 2:30 AM Friday and Sat night. Someone fetched the Police because of their child like behavior. (For a minute I thought I was at a Harley Rally, without the breasts) Blowing some seashell horn, screaming at the top of their lungs, urinating on tents and two drunken broads stole a golf cart and we were sure they would drive over someone while in their tent driving while heavily intoxicated. I have never in my 41 years seen such immature behavior and hope this never is repeated. A few people left as a result of their turn off and said they never expected this at their (First) BMW rally. :cry

Maybe the rally organizers can use some sort of aptitude test in the future to see whether or not people of this caliber should even be allowed. Teenagers even know when to draw the line.

Friends and fellow riders where great company and very friendly otherwise. Air Force museum was truly amazing! And the vendors where great.including the food and that Home Made Ice cream? Man..I start my diet tomorrow ;-)

Tomas
An aptitude test is in order. obviously you couldn't read the signs that indicated you were in the "loudest camping area."

Unregistered said:
An aptitude test is in order. obviously you couldn't read the signs that indicated you were in the "loudest camping area."

Obviously you would not pass the vision portion of the test, the "quite" camping area was full Thursday unless you enjoy sleeping on asphalt.

woodnsteel said:
I saw a very bad accident going thru Indy last saturday returning from mid-Ohio. (THAT WAS MISERABLE!) In the crash, a motorist spun out in the rain and hit a bike that had stopped under the overpass. Was it a fatality? There were sevral cars stopped when I went by, but no cops or paramedics.

i saw a very bad high-side AT mid ohio on saturday, it was amazing, the guy rolled and spun out, got right back up and jumped on his bike,

if only the roads were so forgiving..........................

woodnsteel, great to meet you, thanks for the B33RZ!!!!!!!!!!

To Mr. Tactinator

tominator said:
Showers where a HUGE problem, I even thought waiting until 12:00AM but there were lines out the doors with little or no hot water :-(

Tomas

I understand showers were a slight issue - but there were trailers there also that people could use - I also understand that there were lines but I think the MOA and the fairground people did their best to try to accommodate as many as possible. - From what I was told - the lines did move along - I don't know for sure but was told by a few guys that their wait wasn't all that bad.

As for the loud camping - I was there on one of those nights with my friend Dorian - 41 years old and you were probably the most immature - What kind of man (boy) walks up to a 5' girl and starts cussing and yelling at her. Obviously you don't understand the term "Loud Camping" if there was a "Large" group of people there that were having fun - then it sounds like you were the one with the problem. I do admit that we were talking a bit loud and I apologize to those of you that we did disturb. BUTT - For you - THANK GOODNESS!!! They don't give aptitude tests because with all of the intelligent crap you were spooing towards that girl and our friends - you would have failed for sure!!!! Even teenagers talk more intelligently than you did!!! If you wanted sleep there were plenty of other places that you could have camped. I personally was camping next to the pond and as late as Saturday - there were still people setting up tents next to us - so I know there were other places you could have gone to sleep!!! I will not comment on the golf cart thing, the tent thing or the horn thing - as I did not witness anything like that - Probably left before that but You were not perfect either and could have handled yourself a little more maturely - From what I saw - you came out like a raging lunitic and all you did was escalate the situation!!! Maybe try using a little TACT next time!!!

I had a GREAT time at the Rally - and I think a huge Thank You should go to all of those that volunteered their time and to the rally organizers - they did a great job!!!

I don't intend for this thread to keep going so no matter what else is said - this is the only thing that I have to say about the situation - and I hope people don't just focus on the negatives - Everyone had a GREAT time it sounds like and yes there were some mistakes made but we all learn from them and hopefully - next year - it will be even better!!! Again - I do apologize to those that we did disturb - it was not intentional - it was just a going away party that got a little out of hand.

Guess your missing the point.....I'm into having fun but not acting retarded and puking everywhere....that was the behaviour sat night. Someone called the cops it go so out of hand (2:30AM). I'm sorry but after meeting such nice people, unloading my bike, setting up my tent, it would have been easier to punch someone out than move all my gear :brow Needless to say, I was very supprised at this bizzare adult behaviour...thats all....End of thread.

Next time if there is no more "Non LOUD" camping areas, better I just grab a hotel room. That way I can bitch at the front desk if people make noise in the hall! :drink

T.

tominator said:
Next time if there is no more "Non LOUD" camping areas, better I just grab a hotel room. That way I can bitch at the front desk if people make noise in the hall! :drink

T.

I'm thinking more and more people are choosing the Quiet area just cuz the Loud area is getting out of hand. I usually chose Quiet only cuz I don't like screaming or music in the middle of the night. Other than that I can sleep thru anything. Maybe a large Regular and small Really-Loud in addition to the small Quiet might fix the problem. Just keep those Loud folks over by the beer tent.

quite camping, an oxymoron?

Greetings,

I have always thought that trying to keep one area designated as loud and another as quiet is impractical, especially at a large event when everyone ends up "peg to peg". I think that designating an area as loud can encourage some to be as loud as they can, or that anything goes.

My home club, the Yankee Beemers, have a reputation for being a bit rambunctious. Not puke behind the tent kind but stay up late jawing and drinking beer. We used to rope off "our" area but this gets obnoxious. The spirit behind the MOA rally is supposed to be one of camaraderie. What we do now is find a spot near shade, set up our club gear and have at it. We don't tell anyone where they can or can not camp (been there done that, it's lame) but when we see someone new setting up nearby we do introduce ourselves and welcome them to the neighborhood. We tell them that we can be loud late and we hope to avoid problems before they become problems. We also invite them to be loud with us. If they have children with them we strongly suggest that this is not a kid friendly environment. This year everyone we approached said that is what ear plugs are for and we had no problems. It has been a long time since anyone nearby complained, perhaps we are getting soft. ;)

What I think is a better solution is to have an area designated as family camping. This would accomplish a few goals.

First, it would identify an area where families could camp with other families. This would be great for the kids as they might enjoy the rally more if they were camping with other kids.

Second, it would identify an area where folks would be expected to behave with some decorum. Kids go to bed early so it should be quiet. Ideally this area would be large enough so anyone who wanted quiet without children could find a spot.

Best,

I really like the idea of family camping area; as I am hoping to bring my kid with me next year.

As for other camping choices, the marking should read: Loud and louder. For quiet, you'd need a remote site.

Bring on the quiet and shade of Vermont! Start planning now!

Rob, I was pitched about 2-3 tents from the Yankee Beemers, and you guys weren't loud at all. Someone did stop by, and let me know to come talk to you guys too, if you were too loud. Something like "come have a beer with us if we're too loud" I think was the statement, but the point came across. Friendly group, too bad you guys are so far away during the year. ;)

A family area is a good idea, though.

Even though I don't like "kids"...

I like the kid friendly area. I was camped close to a family and I did curtail some of my usual deabuchery so as to not be a bad influence on the kids. I also was trying to watch my language. I think that people bringing kids and kids being able to have fun should be encouraged.

Bradfordben...

What do you use to attach those ears to your helmet

Back