• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake Light Problem

tlcoulter

The brake light on my '78 R80 no longer works with the front brake. It lights fine with the rear brake, but not the front. I cleaned the contacts on the switch, but that did not help. What should I check next?

The brake light on my '78 R80 no longer works with the front brake. It lights fine with the rear brake, but not the front. I cleaned the contacts on the switch, but that did not help. What should I check next?

Trace the wires from that switch to where they connect to the main harness. Then disconnect them at this location and use a continuity testeror multi meter set on the Ohm setting to directly test the switch. Lever not pulled should read open or infinite ohms and lever pulled should read continuity or a very few ohms. If not the switch is bad.

If your switch is the same as mine, sticking out of the back of the master cylinder, short a screwdriver across the terminals and see if the brake light comes on. If so, replace the switch.

If your switch is the same as mine, sticking out of the back of the master cylinder, short a screwdriver across the terminals and see if the brake light comes on. If so, replace the switch.

Well, I don't know whether to say it passed the test or it failed the test, but the brake light did come on when I shorted a screwdriver across the terminals. When I replace the switch do I have to drain the brake fluid?

Well, I don't know whether to say it passed the test or it failed the test, but the brake light did come on when I shorted a screwdriver across the terminals. When I replace the switch do I have to drain the brake fluid?

Make sure first that there is no obstruction (sludge, etc.) preventing the brake pressure from triggering the switch. I would clean it up first, and make sure no obstruction, re-install and test to see if it works. It may still work.

Could save a buck.

Yes, I think you will have to re-fill the master cylinder with fluid and bleed out the line.

Suggest that you thoroughly drain the system and take care not to get any brake fluid on anything. The switch is not expensive but I had to take the master cylinder off in order to get the old one off and the new one on. That hose clamp will not be up to the torque. Brake fluid should be replace every year or so anyway from what I understand.

Back