• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K100 1986 Digital gear indicator

Bob 1642

The gear indicator is showing #4 in neutral and #5 in first and the neutral green light does not come on in neutral or any other time.
The LCD clock is also not working. This is a machine that I bought because it has low mileage 40000KM and had not run since 2009.The bike will be on the road this coming spring. Is there a fix or what parts need changing. I also drive a R100RT and like the idea of a gear indicator.
Thanks Bob

The gear indicator is showing #4 in neutral and #5 in first and the neutral green light does not come on in neutral or any other time.
The LCD clock is also not working. This is a machine that I bought because it has low mileage 40000KM and had not run since 2009.The bike will be on the road this coming spring. Is there a fix or what parts need changing. I also drive a R100RT and like the idea of a gear indicator.
Thanks Bob

Look here.

I had a similar experience with an 85 K100 that had some storage time on it. I read the Curry article and purchased a new switch. On removing the switch it appeared to be solid and after installing the new switch the problem remained. I then read all I could find on the instrument cluster because the speedo was flacky and proceeded to clean all the connections inside and out of the cluster. Including the LCD chips of the gear indicator and the clock. I used a pencil erasure where I could and used a tooth pick with a very very small amount of anticease on the pin connections. Now three people will chime in and say that was the wrong way to clean them but it worked and has for 6 years. Harold in Kansas

The instrument cluster does seem to have had a moisture problem as I see a rusty screw inside the glass and some one has drilled 4 holes in the back of the case to vent it. I will open the cluster up and have a look and clean up any water damage corrosion.
Thanks for all the info.
Cheers Bob

Mine did the same, I didn't have the moisture issues, but the switch needed a good cleaning and rebuild. It has worked great ever since.

Back