• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

would love to send some photos

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
have taken a few photos of my bike, but I know noting about computers, except the web, and moa site,can you help me ?,please keeping it simple,thanks in advance Jimmy

Jimmy -

Let me work up a little something. There have been posting about this across the forum but I'll see if I can boil it down to a few key steps with examples.

I could send you to the very long thread on how to post a picture which is here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?2021-How-do-I-post-a-picture

But it started a long time ago and things might have changed a bit. So, I'll try and put something more up to date below.

The two basic ways depend on where the photos are currently located. If you have the photos already stored on the web in file sharing sites, like flickr, smugmug, snapfish, they have features on their sites that work easily to link your photos on the MOA forum. You don't copy them over here, you just create a link to their existing location on another server or computer.

For now, I'll assume that your pictures are either in your camera or on your computer. If in your camera, they need to be transfered to your computer to a folder that you can get to later.

What we want to do is go through the process of uploading the pictures from your computer to the MOA server and the forum.

The first thing that will be necessary is to reduce the size of the pictures if they were shot with lots of pixels, ie, lots of resolution. The forum software has a limitation as to the size of an image. Right now, that limit is 800 pixels wide by 1000 pixels high. So, you'll need to check your images against those criteria.

Windows software has a built-in program to use for this...there are other software and I don't know anything about other computers like the Mac. The Windows program is called Paint. You will need to open each image using the Paint program. I'm running Win7 but generally things will be the same with Win2000 or XP.

You will need to resize the image...see the red arrow in the photo. Be sure pixels is selected as well as maintain aspect ratio. Then change the pixels vertically or horizontally until both numbers are equal to or less than the criteria given above.

When you do that, then save the image, preferrably to another name so you don't overwrite your orignal image. I usually use the same name but add "LR" at the end to indicate lower resolution.Paint.jpg

You're ready to insert the pictures in your post. Select the image icon at the top of the posting screen and then click on Select Files at the bottom. You'll need to use the navigation features to find where you put the new images, the ones with "LR" on the end of them.SelectFiles.jpg

You can select as many as 3 files in this way. Once you have your image (or 3 images) selected, they are then uploaded. It will take a little bit for the images to be transferred. When they have been transferred, you'll see something like "" in your post where xxxxx is the number assigned during the upload process.UploadFiles.jpg

Finally, you can submit your post in the usual way and you should be able to see your photos in your post. Continue this process for subsequent posts if you have more pictures. Remember, a maximum of 3 images are allowed per post.

That seems like a lot of steps but they're necessary and become second nature once you've done it a few times. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

thanks

Kurt, thank you so much ,just came in, so will reread, and perhaps my wife will assist me thanks once again:clap

I have a system worked out now, but I've always found image management to be difficult. Perhaps the easiest way to set one up is to get an expert to sit down with you and walk you through it, taking notes each step of the way. Then stick to your system.

A big part of this is getting a user friendly hosting service, and what really helped me was SmugMug. It has some quirks, but is pretty easy to use, overall.

Last edited:
Nice job Kurt, think of the graphics you will have at your fingertips when you go Mac. :whistle

Gary, bite your tongue! :nono The Mac has the same silly operating system names as my Android phone...sheesh. :brow

sorry

Hi, Kurt, sorry for not getting back sooner, but Muriel(the wife)cannot figure it out either, my daughter is coming to visit in a couple of weeks so will ask her to have a go,what if I email them to a friend moa member could he then post them for me ?short term answer,thanks once again Jimmy

Jim -

It's up to you...if you want to wait, or send them to a friend...I'm still open to helping if you want to exchange PMs or emails. If you want me to try and help, send me a PM. I just want to understand where the confusion is. I could even call you on the phone and we could go thru it step by step.

Perhaps this will help Jimmy-

First have your text...."hey here is the picture that I want to show you-a burnt oilhead valve"
Second..........click on the paperclip (between the yellow smiley and the blue arrow)
Third...........When the screen shows for "add files" click that (without a change it will automatically get an image from your computer).
Fourth....Click "select files".
Fifth......See that the location that shows for your pictures is correct (my pictures). There needs to be some there to view.
Sixth....click on the image and click upload. It may take 1 or 2 minutes for the picture to upload to the MOA site.
Seventh....When the "twirl icon" in the upper right stops spinning, the image will show at the bottom and click done.
If it's too big you will get a message so- try something else.
Here is a burnt valve from an oilhead.
Gary

Attachments

• BillC valve.jpg
    BillC valve.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 34
One more time, what to do when approximately a dozen little boxes that pop up after clicking on the paper clip? When in the past my file would pop up and I could see the pics, squidge around to the pic wanted, click it up, and then upload it.

Now, I guess, if it makes sense, the actual file numbers of some pictures are printed below the little boxed question marks?, go figure, how would I know what picture is represented by a file number, without seeing the picture? And then if dragged down below to an area labled 2?, go figure, for what?

Then above it says these dozen or so "files" in the boxes, are already uploaded in the past??

So, again, I am grateful for the new format for uploading pics, something that in the past worked just peachy, but now, not even my partner can figure. Guess I will wait for it to be improved several more times, maybe full circle back to where it was two years ago.

Can't imagine if working on the bike were this convoluted. Remove trans mounting bolt, stamp on right foot with neighbor's left foot, run into wall full speed, remove windshield with hammer, and flat tire is now mounted correctly. Just kidding, it's getting real fun, and I'm smiling, and I'll probably not comprehend any help as I just started an aluminum S fairing.

Back