• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How does the 1600 look without bags

bigwaves

Does the 1600gt look odd without the bags? I like not having bags and was wondering what it looks like? Guess it a road trip to the dealer.

I searched Google Images for "K1600 without bags" and found this in a Remus ad:

Attachments

• K1600GT_REMUS.jpg
    K1600GT_REMUS.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 728
It does look odd to me, just because the bags require a certain space betwwen the exhaust mufflers and the seat. Consequently, there is that gaping hole when the bags are removed. The picture does not "do it justice" I do not ride my GT without bags, even when they are empty and I don't need them.

Have to agree, there is absolutely no flow to the rear end of the K1600 when the bags are off. Kind of looks like a big ol' hook on the back of the bike. Obviously no thought was given to this prospect by BMW.

Rick

I guess it's a matter of opinion, I think it looks as good or better without the bags.

Ken

I searched Google Images for "K1600 without bags" and found this in a Remus ad:

This looked weird, but not because the bags were off (I kinda like the naked look btw)...

Puzzled? They whited/masked out the center stand in the image. Guess Remus wanted a clean under look.

Imagine if the license plate fender was not there and it was green.... the Hulk of sport touring :D
Impressive looking even without the panniers...

I would not recommend riding an RT, GT, or 16 without the bags for two reasons (I think it looks good w/o bags).

1) If you low side, the bag takes a beating, but it holds the bike up. I've seen RTs, GTs, and 16GTLs lowsided many times, and the bike comes out with little damage. The vast majority is to the bag, and it is all cosmetic. Fix it or leave it, but the bike is able to ride away. The bad is designed to protect the bike. Remove it and your low side damage will be much more costly and likely disable the machine.

2) As above, the bag keeps the frame off the ground. This allows you to have a "safety pocket" to separate from the bike. You are likely on a low side to get up, brush off, and get back on the bike and go. Remove the bag and you will have 600+ pounds of German steel, aluminum, and plastic grinding your ankle and leg into the asphalt.

Whether it looks good is debatable, but it is not a smart idea to ride that way.

Here's my bike after about a 30 foot slide on asphalt. The blue tape marks the damage to the side case and the valve cover, both cosmetic.

My '14 Sport...
(I only pop on the bags if I'm going on a trip. Local ramblings, I just go naked!)

pu_day_03-01-14_b_zps02f72ec6.jpg

pu_day_03-01-14_a_zps4836733e.jpg

Gt

Top Speed:

I am also considering the GT. For those who made the switch, do you find the GT top heavy? How is the cornering? Sorry for the last question, but is the mileage of the GT substantially worse than the RT?

Thanks!

Ken

Top Speed:

I am also considering the GT. For those who made the switch, do you find the GT top heavy? How is the cornering? Sorry for the last question, but is the mileage of the GT substantially worse than the RT?

Thanks!

Ken

Mileage is very good (mid 40's). Less top heavy than my FJR. Cornering is native for this machine, built for it.

I would not recommend riding an RT, GT, or 16 without the bags for two reasons (I think it looks good w/o bags).

1) If you low side, the bag takes a beating, but it holds the bike up. I've seen RTs, GTs, and 16GTLs lowsided many times, and the bike comes out with little damage. The vast majority is to the bag, and it is all cosmetic. Fix it or leave it, but the bike is able to ride away. The bad is designed to protect the bike. Remove it and your low side damage will be much more costly and likely disable the machine.

2) As above, the bag keeps the frame off the ground. This allows you to have a "safety pocket" to separate from the bike. You are likely on a low side to get up, brush off, and get back on the bike and go. Remove the bag and you will have 600+ pounds of German steel, aluminum, and plastic grinding your ankle and leg into the asphalt.

Whether it looks good is debatable, but it is not a smart idea to ride that way.

Here's my bike after about a 30 foot slide on asphalt. The blue tape marks the damage to the side case and the valve cover, both cosmetic.

I understand your unfortunate tested recommendation. But in my opinion it seems like a negative way to ride around with that mindset. I think purchasing crash bars may be a better way to look at it.

My '14 Sport...
(I only pop on the bags if I'm going on a trip. Local ramblings, I just go naked!)
I think it looks great with the bags off! Nice sporty look :thumb

Given I recently low sided a F700GS in the Alps, with small side cases and engine protection, that landed on my leg/ ankle and snapped it, I won't ride my RT without the bags. I believe if this lowside was on my RT I would have got up and kept riding. My 2 cents.

Instead an operation, 8 days in the hospital and 7 weeks in a cast with crutches. Now doing physio.

Neil TasteMoringa.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back