Thread: '14 k1600gtl foot brake

'14 k1600gtl foot brake

Looking over my bike and thinking about a peg lowering kit I note that the new k1600gtl doesn't have a mechanical brake pedal stop adjustment. Only adjustment is to pump/reservoir. The lever appears to thin to drill/tap for an adjusting bolt. Anyone installed a lowering kit and what did you do if anything in this area?
    Jack Watson
    BMWMOA #125089
    2014 K1600GTL
    2013 C650GT

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    Looking over my bike and thinking about a peg lowering kit I note that the new k1600gtl doesn't have a mechanical brake pedal stop adjustment. Only adjustment is to pump/reservoir. The lever appears to thin to drill/tap for an adjusting bolt. Anyone installed a lowering kit and what did you do if anything in this area?
    I actually installed a SM peg lowering kit that came off my 2009 RT, then was on my 2014 RTW and was surprised to find it fit just fine on my 2014 GTL. There does not seem to be any solution to the adjustment issue but after 4000 miles of riding I have not had any issue with the pedal to peg position.
    2014 R1200RT
    2009 R1200RT Sold
    2003 R1100S. Sold
    1974 Moto Guzzi 850T

There is a square place on the brake lever forward of the pivot bolt where it stops against the frame. You can drill & tap for a screw there. It doesn't really need to be much, one thread (can't find it now) said he used a button head screw and ground it down, someone else epoxied a shim. Remember that the effect is magnified. I no longer have my GTL but IIRC the stop pad is an inch or so from the pivot, and the lever is 6" or more away, so 1/4" of shim would result in moving the pedal down 6 times that much, or an inch and a half.

I didn't like the reduced ground clearance with the lower pegs so took it off after a couple of days.
    2016 R1200 GSA