• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200R and BMW LED tail light

jahnes

Installed BMW LED tail light part number 63.21.8.526.958 with wiring harness on my 2009 R1200R and the computer now shows a lamp fault. Is there any way to reset the computer to delete the fault without taking the machine to the dealer? At the time of purchase I was told this tail light was compatible with this machine's can bus.

This is a bit of an odd issue. Assuming you installed the proper accessory lamp part number (there is more than 1) and the proper harness connector there shouldn't be a code there- unless you activated the tail lamps during the install with something disconnected.
In the latter case the computer reset will permanently remove the code. If there is some other reason it will come back after a reset.

I've put these on several models and none has ever thrown a code.

This is a bit of an odd issue. Assuming you installed the proper accessory lamp part number (there is more than 1) and the proper harness connector there shouldn't be a code there- unless you activated the tail lamps during the install with something disconnected.
In the latter case the computer reset will permanently remove the code. If there is some other reason it will come back after a reset.

I've put these on several models and none has ever thrown a code.

Actually - the warning for a bulb out doesn't require any reset to clear - all it requires is a working bulb next time the bike is started. I believe one of the LED light setups had a load resistor across the LED to simulate the draw of an incandescent bulb so the ZFE thought everything was OK..

The factory LED accessory lamp- if the right one and properly installed- has everything it needs to throw no codes and shows nothing on the display either.

Of course if that part number is a normal bulb tail lamp, my comment is NA- all it has to do is work as you note:whistle

Last edited:
Back