• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trailering to Rally

A Tale of Two Colorado's

If you recall, early May of 2013 was volatile, to say the least, when it came to weather. What started out as a plan to ride my motorcycle out to Colorado Springs to visit my son morphed into arranging to borrow a trailer from a buddy and eventually, simply became a decision to fly out and rent an Electra Glide Classic from Eagle Riders in Denver, which is what I did. With snow covering much of western Nebraska and all of eastern Colorado as the plane descended, it was the right decision. After 3 days of great riding as temps climbed and snow rapidly disappeared, I flew home.

Later, over Labor Day weekend, I spent 2 days riding my bike out to Colorado again, put on 1k miles cruising all over that impressive state with my son (Four Corners, Million-Dollar Hwy, Pike's Peak summit, etc.) and then rode home.

Point is: both trips enjoyable.

What matters is not how you get to your destination, but the fun you have once you arrive.

So ride, fly, trailer, ship or rent - just explore on two wheels somewhere in this great country! :usa

Ah yes. I'm thrilled to see this old debate pop up here again.

Sometimes it's not about the ride. Sometimes it's about the destination and visiting with friends - and still having your bike to ride when you get there.

People that are judgmental over others based on whether they rode a bike to a rally or not, are morons I avoid. They generally are not people just out to have a good time.

The only reason I don't trailer my bike to rallies is --- I don't own a trailer, or anything that can pull one very far. I ride to motorcycle events. Oldwhatshername generally flies or drive her car and meets me there. It would be a bad idea for someone to tell me to my face they have a problem with that.

We should require everyone at the rally to wear color coded bracelets that indicate how one traveled to the event. We can essentially establish a caste system in which the mocking of those in the lower castes is encouraged.

We need an Iron Butt qualifying event for riders towing motorcycles that are towing trailers.

Have no idea about how many HD riders tow their bike to Sturgis, but the week before the event Yellowstone is awash in a sea of trailered Harleys. I have no objection to them having them on trailers. I do object to them unloading the bikes, forming large groups, parading around at 10 MPH under the speed limit all the while saving hundreds of lives with their straight pipes.

As in almost every other instance of being asked to render an opinion about the appearance, non-criminal behavior or beliefs of others, the appropriate response is, "why should I care?"

I have no objection to them having them on trailers. I do object to them unloading the bikes, forming large groups, parading around at 10 MPH under the speed limit all the while saving hundreds of lives with their straight pipes.

Down here I actually prefer them to go by, down to Big Bend National Park, on trailers. Some of their tow vehicles are a little loud, but some of the convoys of ridden bikes can be heard from two or three miles away.

We should require everyone at the rally to wear color coded bracelets that indicate how one traveled to the event. We can essentially establish a caste system in which the mocking of those in the lower castes is encouraged.

OK, now we're talkin'. Naturally, those riding "S" bikes will be in the uppermost caste and those from Virginia trailering /5's will be, uh, somewhat lower.:laugh

If I go, I'll likely be driving as the ride from here to there has been done before and, while the first time in the flatlands was interesting, I'm not sure I want to do it again.

Me?

I'd never trailer my bike to a rally or any other place!

(Not when it fits so easily in the back of my F-150). :laugh

And yes, I have upon occasion hauled a bike a long ways. Saves my energy for enjoying some fine riding in other parts of the country. With my level of heart damage, don't have the stamina for long rides anymore!

:drink

I've trailered to rallies when it made more sense. We trailered to the RA last summer because I was bringing a bike with knobbies and no luggage (as well as a 10-month-old with all of the accoutrements). Similar deal at Pownal; I brought my GS and my XR400R. Can't ride both.

If the logistics aren't a problem, I think you would be missing out on a great ride by trailering to the rally. You could ship stuff out there and only carry what you need for the trip (which can be VERY little).

The only reason I don't trailer my bike to rallies is --- I don't own a trailer, or anything that can pull one very far. I ride to motorcycle events. Oldwhatshername generally flies or drive her car and meets me there. It would be a bad idea for someone to tell me to my face they have a problem with that.

Good point. I don't feel like committing the funds to a trailer and a vehicle to tow it. I've spent enough buying and keeping a motorcycle running. I also greatly prefer fuel-efficient vehicles, one of which is my motorcycle.

Harry

Hauled the gs to the bmwra rally last year so my wife could come with me.Her daily mileage threshold is only about a third of mine,so we trucked it and had a good time.Ed

So far I have never trailered my bike to a Rally, I have been rescued by trailer and a MOA Member.

He is a picture of my (new to me) R100GS being trailered home a few weeks ago from Buffalo NY.

Attachments

• pots 001 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    pots 001 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 215
Trailer to rally

I plan to trailer my R1200RT from Tucson to the rally on my Kendon trailer. Why? Because my wife is not interested in the rally, but would like to see family in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. Therefore, I will unload the RT in St. Paul, and then Jill will drive our truck and empty trailer to Rhinelander. I will ride there after I leave the rally. Then we will load the RT and head back to Tucson after visiting family in Madison, WI.

Attachments

• right-side-loaded-3.jpg
    right-side-loaded-3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 171
I plan to trailer my R1200RT from Tucson to the rally on my Kendon trailer. Why? Because my wife is not interested in the rally, but would like to see family in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. Therefore, I will unload the RT in St. Paul, and then Jill will drive our truck and empty trailer to Rhinelander. I will ride there after I leave the rally. Then we will load the RT and head back to Tucson after visiting family in Madison, WI.

Jeff, Err, ahhh... you do know that is not an RT on the trailer, do you not?

Trailering does have some advantages. When it rains you are dry, when it is hot you are cool, when tires wear they are not on your bike. I have never hauled anything to a rally except what is on my bike. I have been working on a little 6X10 enclosed trailer hoping to turn it into a "bugout" trailer that will also contain my motorcycle, bicycles and inline skates. I am hoping to have a water system, electricity, ac and other comforts as well. That said there is nothing like a long road trip on a Beemer and the folks you meet along the way. I really don't care what others think but do value their ideas on how to make the "bugout" a great "bugout". Just saying....

Sometimes towing to the rally might be a demonstration of good judgement.
Long rides at the hottest part of the year can be dangerous especially if you're not used to long distances in heat. Better to get there in one piece and enjoy the local riding. How much heat you get to endure depends on rally site, route and distance.

For many of us in NC, July and August are the months we ride least and I'm in the group that would never do a cross country ride at the hottest part of summer. Not embarrassed at all by that choice. OTOH, got no problems riding in anything where the bike won't slide off the road on ice. Our club events draw best turnout in mid winter. I attend some spring and fall rallies but skip mid summer ones unless within a days ride- say 400-500 miles- because I don't want to tow- though we've got a truck and trailer.

When's the last time you went to a National rally. So many people trailer in that no one notices anymore. At a recent national people were complaining that they didn't have 30A electric and sewer hook-ups for their 35 foot long motorhomes, and people that trailered were complaining that they couldn't park their cars and trailers in the area where the guys on bikes put up their tents.

DSC00234_zps7b7852bf.jpg I'm sure this open trailer has been replaced by an enclosed color matched one.

I've trailered my 40+ year old /5 to Daytona. 1,000 miles straight down route I95 to the BMW rally. Usually I only go to the Nationals that are interesting places (to me) so that requires grabbing a newer bike and riding there. IMHO half the fun of going to the rally is riding there, although riding a vintage bike to a distant rally must be an adventure and I have the greatest respect for people that do that.

I don't trailer anywhere but I don't judge other people either, whatever floats your boat. I have access to a car but don't own one and wouldn't drive at all if I could help it. My friends and family joke about me not owning a car. For me personally I have a lot more fun riding than being in a car for a trip or anything else for that matter. Like the sticker says if this bike is on a trailer it is stolen or broken or something like that.

Back