• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trailering to Rally

I am planning to attend the rally in St Paul next year. I am going to meet a friend along the way and ride together. He will ride a K1600GTL and will ride an Oilhead. My friend has suggested the option trailering our /5s to the rally. I have mixed feelings about this. Part of the rally experience his the ride to and from the event. On the other hand, trailering does not preclude stopping along the way have getting in some decent rides in nice areas. I know trailering a bike to the rally is not considered good form, but I okay with it. Not sure Ol' Red (or I) and up for that long a ride.

Any thoughts on this? Anybody been in this quandary before?

Lemme guess, you ride an RS, right? :D

You'll be missing out on a really sweet ride, pal. From where you live, across the Appalachians, up through Ohio and Michigan, across Lake Michigan on a ferry, and then arrive at the rally on a bike. Like real men (and women).

If you do trailer the thing, you may as well keep going to the west coast where I can give you lessons on why bikes are meant for riding and not towing.

You want more grief from me, just keep posting stuff about trailering your touring bike. Geez.....

:laugh

Lemme guess, you ride an RS, right?

Who invited this guy to the party? :)

If we decide to take the late model bikes, we will ride. I love my /5, but for me, riding that far on my Airhead is harder on me than riding the Oilhead. Riding the /5 means I need to figure out how to load it properly (I may need to buy luggage). I understand it best to avoid putting too much weight on the back of bikes like my SWB model. I doubt a day on the interstate will be fun on the Airhead and while I prefer secondary roads, a certain amount of slab will be necessary. If I had more time I could stay on secondary roads the whole way. That would be great, but I have to limit the days I allot to the trip.

If I bring the /5 you should be able to find me. I will be the blur that remains a quarter mile a head of you. :)

I've ridden to rallies but when both bikes let me down just before leaving in 2012, I drove to Sedalia. I received no grief from my riding and camping buddies and some borrowed the car on occasion to pickup supplies. I will be at the 2014 rally, and will ride and do not care how you get there so long as you are there and are enjoying yourself. :thumb

About a year ago I was trailering my motorcycle with my 31 foot camper. I had my children with me and the wife followed in the truck. A motorcyclist passed me on the interstate and as he passed he looked back at me and gave the "what the f**k" look with one hand waved up in the air. I could have cared less because I had my family with and my motorcycle with me. I had an awesome weekend. Like somebody else stated, do what makes you happy......... :)

When I read the title of this thread Trailering to Rally I thought of course I'm going to trailer.
Then I realized you were talking about hauling the bike.
Goes to show you how my mind works.
I drag a trailer behind the bike quit often.
I have a enclosed cargo trailer and a bunkhouse tent trailer.

IMG_0053small.jpg

Here are some friends I hang with camping
3 Bunkhouses and an Aspen.
The red one is mine.

DSCF0450.jpg

All towed by motorcycles.

So I'm thinking of heading to St. Paul next summer (2000 miles one way) and I will be Trailering:nyah

Probably going to trailer something too

I'm fairly close to the rally but I'll probably trailer there due to the volume of stuff I want to bring.

So far the plan is to bring a pool, cabana, grill, and bacon. Everything is better with bacon...

Just do what is the best plan for you and don't worry what anyone thinks or says.

And I probably need Bloody Mary stuff for this rally

:bar

About a year ago I was trailering my motorcycle with my 31 foot camper. I had my children with me and the wife followed in the truck. A motorcyclist passed me on the interstate and as he passed he looked back at me and gave the "what the f**k" look with one hand waved up in the air. I could have cared less because I had my family with and my motorcycle with me. I had an awesome weekend. Like somebody else stated, do what makes you happy......... :)

Hey John, sad that he isn't half the rider you are. He would be ashamed if he knew who you are. Got time for lunch in cedar key on 25 jan?

I used to go to Sturgis. Did it in the 90s for 8 years in a row. Among Harley riders there is as big a resentment against trailering as in any other motorcycle community. In the greater Sturgis area are about 50,000 hotel rooms. The "Sturgis Bike Week" is visited by approx 350,000 people. You had to put up with only a small portion of those. Usually, more people who trailer stay in hotel rooms. And how many trailer rigs does it take to fill a hotel parking lot?
I bet, if you would have camped in the Buffalo Chip campground, you would have not met a single Harley owner who trailered his bike to Sturgis.
Correct! My HS class friend rides to Sturgis from Western KS every year on his police Harley, (rode his BMWGS across Siberia) stereotypes get ya in trouble... He does trailer his dirt bikes. I do reserve the right to "make fun of people", no matter how this turns out...:blah:blah:laugh

By who? Probably by the same people who consider themselves the only true motorcyclists because they have completed multiple Iron Butt events and have a license plate frame that states accordingly.
I have trailered to all BMW MOA rallies except for the one in Vermont. My reason was, I always brought at least three bikes, my S, my K1 and my RT and I could not ride them all at the same time.
How do you think all these pristine condition /2s from Florida, for example, that you see in the Vintage Show get to the rallies?

You should do whatever your feelings or circumstances call for - the only person who you need to please is yourself.

No one should 'judge' you for your decision to trailer.

Then again, no one should 'judge' those who have earned recognition as Iron Butt riders either. :nono

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about this. Part of the rally experience his the ride to and from the event. On the other hand, trailering does not preclude stopping along the way have getting in some decent rides in nice areas.

Part of the satisfaction of getting somewhere is how you got there. Ignoring what other but people would think (who cares?), you would feel some satisfaction arriving on your bike. Normally a trip, whether it is to the local twisties or the other side of the country, is about "the ride." If your dream is to ride old US 66, would you trailer the bike?

But is that really the point of going to the rally? Are you going because of a burning desire to ride the roads between you and St. Paul? Are you going to share the BMW experience with other association members? Showing up on a modern oilhead is cool but showing up on a /5 is cooler. What if you brought a /5 and a K-1? That would be cooler still.

What if your wife said she would like to be at the rally but could not take the long drone over a hot interstate? Would the satisfaction of "the ride" there be less than enjoying "the rally" with your loved one?

My point is that enjoying "the ride" is different from enjoying "the rally." Where do you want to spend your fun? Would riding your /5 around "the rally" be more fun than the satisfaction of "the ride" there? Choose whichever is more fun.

Since I am jealous that you have both a new oilhead and a cool /5, I would make fun of you for trailering but you should ignore my petty remarks. They are tongue-in-cheek. :blah

... My friend has suggested the option trailering our /5s to the rally..... On the other hand, trailering does not preclude stopping along the way have getting in some decent rides in nice areas.....

....Any thoughts on this?

Hey IMO it's as much fun to road trip in a car or truck as it is on or in any vehicle! Frankly, for me personally, I don't like to ride on Freeways for extended periods of time... and don't really have the time to back-road it all the way across half the USA to get to... well, to anywhere. SO to trailer would, for me, mean taking the fastest possible route- AND I like the idea of dropping the bikes off here and there to ride great roads along the way. So it seems it's win-win to trailer the bikes.

The one time I ever went to Barber's Vintage days in Alabama, we took a big, 10 foot long trailer, and my buddy and I took two bikes each. We bee-lined it down, but on the way back stopped and rode the Dragon (on a rainy Tuesday- nobody there), and the Cherahola Skyway. We also popped in to see some friends who had gathered in Virginia- and with them, rode sections of the BRP.

So yeah.

Hey IMO it's as much fun to road trip in a car or truck as it is on or in any vehicle! Frankly, for me personally, I don't like to ride on Freeways for extended periods of time... and don't really have the time to back-road it all the way across half the USA to get to... well, to anywhere. SO to trailer would, for me, mean taking the fastest possible route- AND I like the idea of dropping the bikes off here and there to ride great roads along the way. So it seems it's win-win to trailer the bikes...................

Well put, funny thing is I trailer 3 hours to come down in your back yard to play!

I'm fairly close to the rally but I'll probably trailer there due to the volume of stuff I want to bring.

So far the plan is to bring a pool, cabana, grill, and bacon. Everything is better with bacon...

Just do what is the best plan for you and don't worry what anyone thinks or says.

And I probably need Bloody Mary stuff for this rally

:bar

I'm setting up my tent next to Sharon!:laugh:laugh:laugh

Don't have a trailer but there have been times when I would have loved to have one. This past sept. while riding home from kali I found myself in a culvert during a very bad lightning storm. Was joined by a Canadian couple on harleys. Would have paid good money for a trailer and a car or truck to tow it with.

:laugh

There is another aspect that would support "trailering" to a rally and that has been touched upon in some of the responses: Time to get there! I am not into riding 700+ miles per day to get to a rally. I found that I can go 800 miles in a trailer towing rig. Most rallies I attended, It took me significantly less time to get to my destination pulling a trailer behind a truck or SUV than others who rode there. This in turn, gives me more time to explore the area of the rally, which uusally has nice rides set up. But if you just want to hang out at the fairgrounds and the beer tent, I guess this does not matter.

Back