• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

86 R80 RT Dead

Zimm

Well, not completely, the clock still works sort of.

Wanted to go for a little ride this afternoon, and when I tried to start the bike it cranked about one turn and died. All lights on the panel out, no power to be found.

Battery checked good, but with a slightly loose cable. Tightened the cable to no effect.

The clock works with the switch off, but stops in the first and second positions. When I wiggle the key, I am occasionally able to get a glow in the indicator lights on the panel, but the bike will not crank. The parking light has come on, but no headlight. As of this moment, no panel or parking lights work.

Is the answer the obvious one: failed ignition switch? Or, is there more I need to be looking into? Can anyone tell me how to jump over the switch?

All suggestions appreciated.

Zimm

How do you know the battery is "GOOD"? With a VOM a battery will show 12V but as soon as you put a load on it, like even just a turn signal bulb, it goes dead.........SO......the first thing to do is to be sure your battery is good...........Try jumping, hooking up a battery from a system or whatever that does turn over an engine......car or whatever. Perhaps you have a charger with a "boost" function to use to "jump" and charge with.........

I am sure there will be more from others; but be totally positive that the battery is REALLY GOOD and that all connections are in order. Ground down at the transmission and on the battery itself...........God bless........Dennis

Dennis is right. A break in the internal bus of the battery will often pass voltage, but not enough current to do much more than light a small bulb. If you do not have a load tester, use the bike as the load tester. Hook the DVM up to the battery TERMINALS with key off, then turn it on. The lights should come and the voltage will drop a volt or so in a minute or two. I bet yours drop much more (maybe all the way) from your description, if it does the battery is toast. If it does not drop much, move the DVM to the WIRES or LUGS connected to the battery and repeat the tests. If you had good voltage on the battery terminals, but not the lugs, they need cleaning.

Wayne

More info

Looking some more, I think you are correct that the battery is bad. Its an off brand from China of unknown vintage (I pulled it out).

Using a meter, it shows 12.5 volts. I get the same at the switch. When the switch is turned on, voltage drops to about 3.5.

I've had lots of batteries die on me over the years, but must confess that this is the first one that did so mid crank.

I'll go by the battery store tomorrow and have them test it, that will tell for sure.

Suggestions as to a good replacement are welcome.

Thanks

Zimm

Glad you have your problem figured out. Odyssey is a great battery, Westco is another one. If my memory serves me right the R80RT (my first BMW was a new 86 R80RT) takes a smaller battery than the R100's, but the bigger battery will fit if you remove the tool box that came in the bike and install one from an R100.

Wayne

+1 on the Westco........I have had one in my machine now for 6 years with the only maintenance being to put a tender on it during the winter for a couple of weeks at a time..........I use horse stall mat, rubber perhaps 1/2 inch thick that I cut to meet the dimension I need to make up any size difference......The stuff is black, durable, and just rubbery enough to absorb some vibes........Anyway.....Glad you got it figured out. They should all be that easy.........God bless........Dennis

I have an Odyssey PC680 in my R80G/S and it fits perfectly. You do have to remove the upper shock bolt to get it in there though. I've had a Panasonic LC-X1228P in my R100RS and it is narrower than the stock battery. It has been in the bike for six seasons now but is nearing end of life. Still, good service I think. You should check dimensions for the R80RT though. It might be a bit big.

Back