• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RS mirror extensions

jad01

I did a search on the forum and came up with a few posts (thanks to Kurt's trick using Google), but I thought I'd post the question and see if anyone can give me a clearer view...:ha I need to do something about the mirrors on my "new-to-me" '84 RS, which pretty much give me an excellent view of either my shoulders or the road shoulders, but not what's actually behind me.

I saw a post by Rapid Dog about some extenders that Nick Greer used to make that extend the mirror bases outward from the fairing, and recall an article by Mr. Cainey about another option that seemed good (but can't find it now- Darryl, help!). I've also kicked around making my own. Has anyone had to make this mod? I'd greatly appreciate pictures if you have them.

Mirror Extensions

(but can't find it now- Darryl, help!). I've also kicked around making my own. Has anyone had to make this mod? I'd greatly appreciate pictures if you have them.

Here they are!

Attachments

• Mirrors (2).jpg
    Mirrors (2).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Mirrors.jpg
    Mirrors.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 311
Excellent- thank you both! I like the look of those and they should get the mirrors out past my shoulders. :beer

A stick-on, "fish-eye" mirror of approximately 17mm in diameter, placed in the left upper corner of the left side OEM mirror", would have great effect at considerably lower cost.

How's the vibration on those extensions? I have a set made from some sort of tough plastic. I think I bought them from Nick Greer years ago. First set he sent me were nowhere near the same size so he sent me another pair and I matched up the two closest ones. I can see beyond my arms and elbows now but at highway speeds they vibrate so bad that I cannot tell much other than there is some form of vehicle behind me. I also put a set of the bigger RT mirrors on. The originals are pretty small.

Those metal arms look pretty solid but how are they out in the wind?

There's some vibration and blurring, depending on speed, engine rpm, etc. but overall I don't think it's much worse than without the extenders. I definitely think they're worthwhile. I'm not sure how much they and the bigger mirrors affect gas mileage tho... :)

I bought a pair from Bill about a year ago. Think they might have been the last batch he was going to make. They were expensive, but well made and did the job intended. I wound up taking mine off because the shaking bothered me above 75mph. I find a good view from the left side by simply moving my left hand over to my right arm for a second. Moves my shoulder out of the way for a decent view.

IMG_1179.jpg

I think these are Honda mirrors I picked up from Cycle Gear. They weren't expensive and fit the fairing without modification.
Doug

I think these are Honda mirrors I picked up from Cycle Gear. They weren't expensive and fit the fairing without modification.
Doug
I thought about replacing the mirrors as an option also... I was thinking of making a run to my local salvage yard, but those look good- I'll keep 'em in mind. Thanks for the tip!

Well, I'm finally getting the ol' RS back on the road after a top end renewal and some other bit work, including the mirrors. I tried the convex spot "stick-on" mirrors, which were a significant improvement, but ultimately decided I wanted another solution so I looked around and ended up purchasing some EMGO mirrors from Cycle Gear as Doug suggested. They are about 8000 times better than the original mirrors. I thought they would vibrate more than the factory ones since they stick out so much further, but they are essentially the same- fairly clear through most of the rev range. I certainly appreciate the clear view past my shoulders, and I like how they look on the bike as well.

Attachments

• RS new mirrors front view.jpg
    RS new mirrors front view.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
More info

The mirrors I chose were EMGO number 20-35222 (left) and 20-35221 (right) for a Honda CBR 600 RR. They cost $29 each at Cycle Gear. I decided to use the factory mirror base since it fit the fairing and would not require drilling any new holes (important to me, especially since it has the reinforcing bracket behind the fairing). I chose this specific mirror as the stem terminus where it attaches to the base is the same diameter as the cup on the factory mount where the ball on the factory mirror inserts. I used two washers (that came with the mirror) to cover the cup and provide some support for the mirror. I purchased a couple of 1 1/4 inch long bolts and aircraft nuts (stainless) from Ace Hardware to attach it, using the same thread diameter and pitch as the factory mirror bolt (M6). I also used a plastic bolt cover (I had some on hand, but they are available at Ace as well). Pics show mirror and hardware.

Attachments

• DSCF2736.jpg
    DSCF2736.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF2742.jpg
    DSCF2742.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Here is the order in which I assembled the parts.

Attachments

• DSCF2748.jpg
    DSCF2748.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 124
I also tried to construct a base extension (similar to the Nick Greer extensions), but didn't care for them too much… my effort with sheet aluminum left something to be desired. You can see the comparison in terms of how far they extend from the fairing. The new mirrors offer a substantially better view (I should take a pic with the factory original set-up- maybe another time).

Attachments

• DSCF2738.jpg
    DSCF2738.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF2741.jpg
    DSCF2741.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Here is a close up of the mounted mirrors on the fairing, showing the snap-on bolt cover. I did have to retighten the mirrors after my first ride, as they were folding inward- they need to be good and snug. In any event, I think this turned out to be a pretty easy solution overall. I've put about 200 miles on the bike since installing them- so far I like them quite a bit. Thanks to everyone who provided insight- I hope this info serves someone else down the road!
:beer

Attachments

• DSCF2751.jpg
    DSCF2751.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF2755.jpg
    DSCF2755.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 123
Back