• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Are you a motorcycle traveler or a motorcycle traveler?

No reason necessary

My partner and I assume we will go by bike unless there is a very compelling reason not to. I guess we are of the motorcyclist lifestyle. We were both that way before we met and now it's simply understood without thought or discussion. Gas, oil, tires, tune up, repeat. She keeps two modern bikes so one is always ready.

Howdy Bud :wave hope we cross paths this year, it's been too long.

Stan

Hi Stan,

It has been a long time since we saw each other. Perhaps I will drop by next summer for a chat. Going to spend two weeks riding in Colorado. :clap

My best to you both!

i would have to sign up for both groups. I'll ride in 6 degree weather up to my Micky D's coffee klatch group in the morning for breakfast if the roads are fairly free of ice, or head out for a couple thousand miles of road to a rally or part of the country I've not yet seen at the drop of a button. All I can say, is it's probably a good thing that I didn't start riding until I retired, otherwise, I'd probably never gotten anything else done, and would not be able to afford a Beemer at this stage in life.... Good things do come to those who wait and plan for the future.....:)

less commuting, more day tripping

I used to commute, but the increase in texting left me feeling like I was in a video game, so don't commute on my bike much anymore. A few longer trips each year - 1,500-2,000 miles, but no interest in hours on the highway on a bike. I actually love road tripping in a car - and regularly take 8-12 hour trips. On my bike I like to stay on fire roads, two laners and some two tracks. I love the curves but am a mellow rider - not into speed so much, as I cleared that out of my system in younger days.

Nothing like a detailed map for planning a route and finding great roads.

My GPS is solely used for track logging and acts as a travel diary as well as a photo location tool.

Anyway, I'm more number 2 on that list. I am totally happy spending roughly six weeks in the Alps every year. If I never get to ride between those tours once I am back home, I could not care less. Less miles but the best roads and scenery.

I ride as a commuter and as a traveller when on vacation.

I don't ride much for just the fun of going out for an hour, I like to have a destination.

Of course some of my destinations can be as simple as as a good mug of tea at a place I like.

As for GPS's, I like to plan with a paper map, and have it in the tank bag, however the GPS knows where I am (far smarter than me), and I often program a custom route in based upon the paper map.

Regards, Rod.

That sounds like me as well

+1

I guess Im in the "other" category, or maybe both. I use any excuse to take trips of hundreds or thousands of miles, all too often these trips are way to short; all just to see new sites, meet new friends, hear strangers "motorcycle stories", and find new places to eat. Some times at warp speed, others times just poking along. I cannot imagine a life where a bike isnt part of my existance, it puts me into the world in a way other forms of transportation do not, we all know what it smells like just after a rain storm pass as we ride along, it provkes strangers to walk up to me and strike up a conversation, you dont get that in a car. I dont know what type that makes me, goofy I guess.

Pigeon Hole

Pigeon hole your riding style? Just ride and enjoy the miles on the motorcycle. We spend too much time in a job that can makes us conform to someone else's boundaries. Get your gear and go.
Now that I don't have a company telling me how to conform for 50 hours a week, I just got that list of jobs to do around the homestead. Just enjoy the ride, when ever you can and don't worry about what your are, just watch the world pass by.

Back