Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Are you a motorcycle traveler or a motorcycle traveler?

  1. #16
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,525

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    I've been thinking lately about the two different types of Beemer owners.

    One type rides just for the riding. They will make any excuse to take trips of hundreds or thousands of miles, many over short time frames, just to experience the joy of riding.

    The other type is someone who enjoys traveling, seeing new sites, old (or new) friends, finding new places to eat, riding at a notch or two below warp speed so they can look around.

    Which one are you? (Or, perhaps you, or someone you know, are in a different category all together? )


    Both.

    I think you need to come up with a' third category?'
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  2. #17
    Motorcyclist patiodadio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    746
    Guess I am both, I have done a Iron Butt ride and my wife and I have taken backroads while touring all around the country. We love taking our time and stopping to take pictures and see the sights but I might take a quick long distance trip racking up some big miles too. Its all good





    .
    ________________________________________
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,356
    Yep, how about: Rider who likes warp speed , stops to look around,take pics,hike,fish,eat,visit people & historical sites, & also rides for the ride(commute or non-purpose rides) & travels because there are other places to do all of those things listed & more?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  4. #19
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,513
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Both.

    I think you need to come up with a' third category?'
    Hey Kevin,

    I'm just a country boy from S. Illinois and it is hard to deal with more than two things at a time! (Kind of like that that emotocon of eating and drinking)

    So far "both" has been a common answer with a few other thrown in.

    Open to any and all suggestions.
    Ride Well

  5. #20
    Registered User jandhumphreyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    I've been thinking lately about the two different types of Beemer owners.

    One type rides just for the riding. They will make any excuse to take trips of hundreds or thousands of miles, many over short time frames, just to experience the joy of riding.

    The other type is someone who enjoys traveling, seeing new sites, old (or new) friends, finding new places to eat, riding at a notch or two below warp speed so they can look around.

    Which one are you? (Or, perhaps you, or someone you know, are in a different category all together? )
    I guess Im in the "other" category, or maybe both. I use any excuse to take trips of hundreds or thousands of miles, all too often these trips are way to short; all just to see new sites, meet new friends, hear strangers "motorcycle stories", and find new places to eat. Some times at warp speed, others times just poking along. I cannot imagine a life where a bike isnt part of my existance, it puts me into the world in a way other forms of transportation do not, we all know what it smells like just after a rain storm pass as we ride along, it provkes strangers to walk up to me and strike up a conversation, you dont get that in a car. I dont know what type that makes me, goofy I guess.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

  6. #21
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,513
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I guess Im in the "other" category, or maybe both. I use any excuse to take trips of hundreds or thousands of miles, all too often these trips are way to short; all just to see new sites, meet new friends, hear strangers "motorcycle stories", and find new places to eat. Some times at warp speed, others times just poking along. I cannot imagine a life where a bike isnt part of my existance, it puts me into the world in a way other forms of transportation do not, we all know what it smells like just after a rain storm pass as we ride along, it provkes strangers to walk up to me and strike up a conversation, you dont get that in a car. I dont know what type that makes me, goofy I guess.
    Sorry, around here it just makes you "normal".
    Ride Well

  7. #22
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,525

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I guess Im in the "other" category, or maybe both. I use any excuse to take trips of hundreds or thousands of miles, all too often these trips are way to short; all just to see new sites, meet new friends, hear strangers "motorcycle stories", and find new places to eat. Some times at warp speed, others times just poking along. I cannot imagine a life where a bike isnt part of my existance, it puts me into the world in a way other forms of transportation do not, we all know what it smells like just after a rain storm pass as we ride along, it provkes strangers to walk up to me and strike up a conversation, you dont get that in a car. I dont know what type that makes me, goofy I guess.
    He sounds like a potential third category - "Bike-Bonded."

    Relates to a two- (or three) wheeled motorized vehicle on a highly personal level - sometimes difficult to explain to the uninitiated, impossible to explain to the fearful and no need to explain to many on this forum.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  8. #23
    What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    988
    In terms of how the actual riding shakes out think the categories need to be motorcycle -

    - Rider

    - Traveler

    - Commuter

    From there, it would seem a rider can also be a traveler, but a traveler may not necessarily be a regular rider.

    The daily commuter is really the hard-core motorcyclist, IMO.
    Last edited by basketcase; 11-11-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Interrupted at mid-thought when the kids dropped in...
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

    If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

  9. #24
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,074
    Why is everyone so interested in food?
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

  10. #25
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Why is everyone so interested in food?
    Ride to eat, eat to ride.
    Ride Well

  11. #26
    Small road corner junkie pffog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Why is everyone so interested in food?
    Food is the socialization part of meeting friends, lets face it , on a bike it is a pretty solo experience. Lunch, lets you talk, banter, enjoy others company, and as we all need to eat is an easy excuse to meet up.

    Some how posting up lets all meet at the 4 corners and talk, would not get the same attendance as lets meet at this great/unique place, and eat.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

  12. #27
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Why is everyone so interested in food?

    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Food is the socialization part of meeting friends, lets face it , on a bike it is a pretty solo experience. Lunch, lets you talk, banter, enjoy others company, and as we all need to eat is an easy excuse to meet up.

    Some how posting up lets all meet at the 4 corners and talk, would not get the same attendance as lets meet at this great/unique place, and eat.
    Don't worry, I've spent some time on the road with Paul, and plan to ride with him to the Salty Fog Rally next year, and he doesn't mind stopping for a bite to eat. The last time was at a fancy, schmantzy lodge near Asheville, NC where some of the guests gave us the evil eye for wearing our riding gear into the restaurant. Good memories of road food!
    Ride Well

  13. #28
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,074
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Don't worry, I've spent some time on the road with Paul, and plan to ride with him to the Salty Fog Rally next year, and he doesn't mind stopping for a bite to eat. The last time was at a fancy, schmantzy lodge near Asheville, NC where some of the guests gave us the evil eye for wearing our riding gear into the restaurant. Good memories of road food!
    That was soooo funny last June when the elderly (someone older than me ) gentleman , two tables away, just glared at us as we stripped off the riding gear. His look said " Who let those riffraff in here?".

    It was an excellent breakfast , but then again, I would have very disappointed if it had not been in such a luxurious setting.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

  14. #29
    roamingbeemer roamingbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    141
    Each day is different. I can get in a groove where a thousand miles is easy with a few quick breaks. Very little food on those trips but lots of water. I have done that 3 times and loved each one.

    Other days I just want to get somewhere to hike and relax. If my wife is pillion I will make it less than two hours. I do not ride to food since your not exactly burning a lot of calories on the bike. I just bring some basic fruit, veggies, and some type of protein with me since I am basically vegetarian. We will find a place to hike around or hang out at. Maybe antique shopping for my wife.

    When in Hong Kong I sometimes ride the bike all day exploring new areas. This sometimes involves downtown traffic but can also involve beautiful open areas too. More variety in Hong Kong than most people realize.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT, S1000RR sold, F650 sold
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker 250 (Chiang Mai Thailand)

  15. #30
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,768
    I think the question can be refined a bit more:

    1 - Given a nice highway going where you want to go - do you get on it.. (GPS mode - "Fastest Route")

    or

    2 - Do you set your GPS for "Shortest Route" in the hope that you'll discover some new neat back roads


    I'm for sure a type-2. Did 3,200 mile trip to Nova Scotia (second time by bike) this fall doing almost all type-2 riding. If I saw a "scenic route" I took it..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •