• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AF-XiED on 04 R1100S

racer7

Some of you have no doubt followed Roger's threads on the device he has developed to cure the overly lean fuel programming of oilheads, hexheads, 650/800 twins, etc (and its being developed for more models). The devices are sold by Beemer Boneyard and you can read their comments on the item page on their site.

Today I installed one of Roger AF-XiED devices on the SO's R1100S, an 04 model that she uses as a touring and play bike and which I have farkled to make it more suitable for her touring use with comfort, lighting, now performance, and other items.

If you do any routine service on an oilhead, this is a silly simply install. Just pull the panels, lift the gas tank to the rear and plug it in, the connect 1 ground wire to a battery terminal- pretty hard to get any easier. For the major connections, one locates the oxygen sensor connector under the fuel tank, opens it up, and plug 1 end of Rogers device cable into each end of the plug, then just put it back on the bike. No hacking into factory wiring needed- this is pure plug and play. Gets positive power from the installed oxygen sensor cable hookup and has a negative wire that can go on a battery post- that's it. AFR can be adjusted through a reasonable range with a single screw if one wishes to experiment.

I expect the adaptive features of the Motronic will take a tank or two to fully adapt to the device which I installed with its default setting. Nonethless, I went for about a 50 mile test run after the install for an initial impression and the SO and I are planning a riding day tomorrow so she can comment on her impression- I am telling her none of mine and will wait to hear what she says.

I have ridden and serviced this R1100S for several years so am familiar with its factory behavior, now modified. Probably the best way I can summarize the effect of the AF-XiED is to say that it has widened and smoothed the bikes powerband so that it has become pretty similar to the K1200RS that it sits next to in the garage, the latter with a Rhine West chip to enrich fueling and a slip on, the result of which is the most pleasing wide and linear power band of any BMW I've ridden. Not that the R1100S can match the K brick for total power or torque, but qualitatively, with the AF-XiED in place one is no longer conscious of the R bike's former much narrower powerband which kept telling the rider to stay in a narrow rpm range. Now runs to redline are smooth and encouraged. The bike will pull cleanly all the way in 6th from as low as I've checked it which was 1600 rpm- try that with stock programming. Basically, it pulls clean and fast in any gear from any sane rpm, not something the stock bike will do. My brief test run today took the bike to about 110 (we live in a rural area) and I could identify no negative fueling issues.
If I had a dyno I'm sure it would show both the more linear power curve and a bit more power up top.

I'll have more comments after we get more miles on the bike but one thing I can tell you- its not going to come out- works way too well to debate. At a fraction of the cost of installing other devices like the Power Commander with only a fraction of the work. Planning to put one on my hexhead when I get time.

As you might deduce from my board name, I am no stranger to highly modified fuel injected motors, having owned a variety of such including a turbo'ed Lexus SC300 I use as a street car that makes about 400 rwhp and my former track only RX-7 that made 510 rwhp with its turbo. All of that requires extensive electronics changes- in the old days one had to develop ones own fuel maps from scratch and that took a bunch of dyno time. It was a combo of effort and cost that kept me from addressing the lean programming of the bike sooner- this device cures both issues.

The Af-XiED requires only very modest effort to correct the fundamental overly lean fuel mix of BMW bikes and greatly improves ride-ability. Highly recommended..(more to come also)

Racer7, I'm glad to see that it made a good first impression.

I want to take a moment to give credit to Steve Mullen, owner of nightrider.com products. His market is Harleys, where he is very well known. After a year of research, I asked him to build a BMW-specific version of his product with the specifics I had for a BMW version. He wrote new software, designed new cables, and repackaged the hardware and he did it in less than 6 months. Without his diligence and financial commitment, there would be no plug and play product.

RB

The Beemer Boneyard site makes clear what versions of the device go with each model. Roger can correct me if I'm wrong but the one for the R1100S (and 1150, etc with single oxygen sensor) is probably the easiest to install. Others being only slightly more complicated. For newer bikes with dual oxygen sensors (eg hexheads) one installs two of the devices- one for each sensor.

Time to ride this morning- going out to put on a couple hundred and get lunch someplace.

Last edited:
The Beemer Boneyard sight makes clear what versions of the device go with each model. Roger can correct me if I'm wrong but the one for the R1100S (and 1150, etc with single oxygen sensor) is probably the easiest to install. Others being only slightly more complicated. For newer bikes with dual oxygen sensors (eg hexheads) one install two of the devices- one for each sensor.

Time to ride this morning- going out to put on a couple hundred and get lunch someplace.

Yes, the R1100S and R1150RT are similarly easy to install and use OEM connectors.
Roger

Ok, we're back from today's run with the SO running out her first tank+ with the AF-XiED installed.

For perspective, her MOA number is literally a tiny fraction of mine- from well over 30 years ago. She's had this R1100S to several track days and rides right with me in all conditions of weather and speed- she is by far the most experienced female rider in our local club and has more road mileage and experience than many of the guys having ridden cross country a bunch of times on various BMWs and Honda. Her first BMW and still a favorite was her R80. She has owned this R1100S since new in 2004.

She summed up the AF-XiED by noting that the bike ran "mo bettah" everywhere.
She especially noted the stronger acceleration through the gears and smoother running overall. I was riding my hexhead RT (no AF-XiED yet) and we did a lot of full throttle 5th and 6th gear roll ons as well as a few runs at about 100- noting that there was no notable difference in performance between the two bikes. Though the RT is rated at more power, it punches a bigger hole in the air and weighs more even without counting our personal weight differences- I outweigh her by about 50 lbs. Her reaction overall was extremely positive.

We did a mileage check today and her bike averaged 35.5 mpg for today's play. The run was 75-80 mph country road play with a bunch of full throttle roll ons, including several up to a sustained 100 mph. This bike has previously averaged 40-41 mpg in touring use so it appears there may be some negative impact on fuel economy but I can't draw too any conclusions, yet. First, we ran both bikes harder today than normal and the AF-XiED surely encourages more aggressive use of the right hand. I imagine it will tempt many to behavior that will result in decreased tire life. Anyway, we'll keep checking mileage especially on our next tours to see what the final conclusion is re fuel economy. She notes the performance was enough improved that even if today's mileage were to repeat she wouldn't want me to remove the device. I note that my old Honda Sabre V-4 got 31mpg and would get blown a long distance into the weeds by her R1100S that today got 35.5 at much quicker and faster use.

One can of course fine tune the AF-XiED more accurately if one has a GS-911, especially if one has access to a dyno. The AFR can be leaned to improve economy while balancing it against performance gains, for example. Or richened to see if further performance gains are possible. Today's experience was simply running the device at its default where it will remain for a while. Planning to add these to a couple other bikes and gain some more experience before trying to improve on the defaults.

Ok, we're back from today's run with the SO running out her first tank+ with the AF-XiED installed.

For perspective, her MOA number is literally a tiny fraction of mine- from well over 30 years ago. She's had this R1100S to several track days and rides right with me in all conditions of weather and speed- she is by far the most experienced female rider in our local club and has more road mileage and experience than many of the guys having ridden cross country a bunch of times on various BMWs and Honda. Her first BMW and still a favorite was her R80. She has owned this R1100S since new in 2004.

She summed up the AF-XiED by noting that the bike ran "mo bettah" everywhere.
She especially noted the stronger acceleration through the gears and smoother running overall. I was riding my hexhead RT (no AF-XiED yet) and we did a lot of full throttle 5th and 6th gear roll ons as well as a few runs at about 100- noting that there was no notable difference in performance between the two bikes. Though the RT is rated at more power, it punches a bigger hole in the air and weighs more even without counting our personal weight differences- I outweigh her by about 50 lbs. Her reaction overall was extremely positive.

We did a mileage check today and her bike averaged 35.5 mpg for today's play. The run was 75-80 mph country road play with a bunch of full throttle roll ons, including several up to a sustained 100 mph. This bike has previously averaged 40-41 mpg in touring use so it appears there may be some negative impact on fuel economy but I can't draw too any conclusions, yet. First, we ran both bikes harder today than normal and the AF-XiED surely encourages more aggressive use of the right hand. I imagine it will tempt many to behavior that will result in decreased tire life. Anyway, we'll keep checking mileage especially on our next tours to see what the final conclusion is re fuel economy. She notes the performance was enough improved that even if today's mileage were to repeat she wouldn't want me to remove the device. I note that my old Honda Sabre V-4 got 31mpg and would get blown a long distance into the weeds by her R1100S that today got 35.5 at much quicker and faster use.

One can of course fine tune the AF-XiED more accurately if one has a GS-911, especially if one has access to a dyno. The AFR can be leaned to improve economy while balancing it against performance gains, for example. Or richened to see if further performance gains are possible. Today's experience was simply running the device at its default where it will remain for a while. Planning to add these to a couple other bikes and gain some more experience before trying to improve on the defaults.

Great feedback Racer7, thanks for posting. I have found mileage to be basically unchanged on my bikes with the AF-XiED installed but it depends on how you ride the bike and how it is set. The great thing about the AF-XiED is that it will allow you to ride a gear higher than normal. Of course you can stay in a lower gear and rev it out with good results too but that will probably result in slightly lower mileage. Once you get used to how fun the bike is you will usually settle into your normal riding pattern and possibly ride a gear higher in many situations which can provide equal or better mileage than before installing the device. Also, a GS911 or dyno is not needed at all to fine tune the AF-XiED. Just try adjusting it one position at a time until you find the one you like best. The delivered settings are perfect for most bikes. If your bike has a freer flowing exhaust or other mods you may find that a lower setting (#7 instead of #8 for example) will work better. Seems counter-intuitive but it has to do with fresh air reversion affecting the O2 sensors readings. I found this to be the case with my bikes. One setting lower provided crisper response and better mileage.
Mike

Mike,
I agree with what you said re mileage- as I noted we were running the bikes pretty hard and it will take some normal tours to get an idea of any real impact on mileage- but with the performance change so obvious our response is basically- who cares! I attribute a lot of what we saw initially to the way we were riding because, in principle, one would not expect that much of mileage change simply from richening the mixture a bit. (Based purely on the AFR math the expected change is only about 1/3 or less of what we saw initially and remember that the Motronic may not have been fully adapted at that point either- I wasn't running any logging tools on the bike)

Re the tuning, sure the device is easily adjustable with a screwdriver and one can experiment as much as one wishes without any fancy tools as you note- didn't mean to imply anything else. I installed it on the default and it works very well. I'm not at all sure, however, about anyone's ability to detect the kind of modest differences I mean by "fine tuning" using only ones butt for a dyno, for example the difference 1 notch out of its range makes on its performance. I'm very used to looking at graphical sensor data on a pc-in the old days it was mostly injector duty cycles, spark advance, etc- and have often used a dyno to tune stuff and would certainly do that if trying to truly optimize any tuning device. But that's mostly because I know the tools and how they can help me distinguish any butt induced fantasy from measured reality. The effect of the device is so obvious on initial install that I know that's no fantasy and my comment was aimed only at those trying to squeak out the last tiny bits of improvement to add to what the default will do. Even dyno runs vary as you know and one has to allow for that also when using one.

The AF-XiED has got to be the most cost effective tuning device of any kind I've encountered and I especially like that it keeps all that expensively developed factory programming as its base, merely modifying the signal to get the most out of it. Elegant and highly effective.

I hope you guys sell a boatload of them- its good enough that you deserve to.

Can't see connectors for : AF-XiED on 04 R1100S

Hi Guys,

I'm asking for some help here. I don't see the O2 Sensor connectors under the tank. I have lifted it and looked at the Haynes Book for reference, but no pic of the connectors or which wire is which under the tank.. any one here have that info handy?

Really want to give this device a go...

Posted a pic of my Hardware from KnightRider.com:2017-08-17 07.46.13.jpg

Thanks,

Slick

The harness you got is for an R1100R/RT/GS but not for an R1100S. They'll replace it, let them know you need an R1150-style harness with two round connectors.

When you get the correct harness, you will see a round connector under the tank on the right hand frame. Follow the O2 sensor cable from the exhaust.

Back