• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

why I luv my Ural

Mars needs women!
Speedo went bad after 13500km on my 2012 Ural. (did that on my K75 after about 1 1/2 years and 10,000mi) Rode 20 miles to the dealer, he knows me by name, handed me a new speedo under Ural's excellent 2 year warranty. (the BMW I had to fend for myself, and the nearest dealer is much further away) Hung around for a couple hours chatting, he sold a used rig and a newbie came in to look at these funny Russian bikes. Came home and put the new unit in myself, they would have installed it but I prefer to do as much wrenching as possible. The warranty allows owners to do their own work, I've done all the services and have not had any problems until the speedo went belly up.

Now here is the good part. It took 20 minutes to put in the speedometer, with an 8 and 13mm sockets, a flat head screwdriver, and a dental pick to retrieve a washer I dropped into the headlight bucket. Try doing that with any Beemer made in the last couple decades! My K75s is bad enough, can't imagine the newer ones have gotten easier.

There are downsides to owning a rig this archaic, but there is something intangible about the simplicity and retro mechanicals of the thing. Anyone out there interested in a new Ural, the 2014's will have FI and 3 wheel discs, and a price bump of 3 grand or so. This could be good or bad, depending on you viewpoint. Anyhow, back to enjoying life in the slow lane :beer

:thumb I like 'em. That Russian stuff is meant to to go and be fixed with whatever tools are available- with whatever parts that are available. Take the Belarus tractor
minskmodel.gif
somewhat crude in fit and finish but as tough as they come.
Glad your enjoying it.
OM

Back