• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

96 K1100LT clutch slip

leftturn

Today I was cruising in 4th at 50 and cranked the throttle. RPM's jumped and then the speed caught up.

suggestions? Other than the drive her into the ocean one. I am sure this question has been addressed. I tried to search for clutch slip and 50 pages of things unrelated came up. suggestions?

Do you have the proper freeplay in the clutch cable?

Do you get a small puddle of oil just in front of the centerstand when you park the bike?

:dance:dance:dance

Do you have the proper freeplay in the clutch cable?

Do you get a small puddle of oil just in front of the centerstand when you park the bike?

I do have the free play..I did the adjustment according to Chris Harris. It is really only about a 1/2 inch before engagement. There is no oil leak

As I recall, the '96 does not have a weep hole in the bell housing, so, since it does not have a drip as Lee asked about, is there a noticably misting of oil at the mating surface of the transmission to the bell housing? What Lee and I are getting to is whether or not your clutch has been coated by either transmission fluid or oil. A rear seal leak on the engine would allow engine oil to pass into the clutch area allowing contamination of the clutch plate. A failed transmission seal would allow trans fluid to contaminate the clutch. When my clutch slave seal failed, each pump of the clutch forced fluid past the seal and down the push rod to the trans seal which it destroyed, which in turn allowed fluids to contaminate the clutch. I made it 200 miles after I first noticed an issue with the clutch. Of course, trans seals can fail for other reasons. When mine became contaminated, it exhibited the same behaviour as you describe. It progressed rapidly, and I just barely made it home. A full clutch replacement was required along with the new slave seal and trans seal. Did most of it myself and save a ton, see all the posts here about doing such a job.

As I recall, the '96 does not have a weep hole in the bell housing, so, since it does not have a drip as Lee asked about, is there a noticably misting of oil at the mating surface of the transmission to the bell housing? What Lee and I are getting to is whether or not your clutch has been coated by either transmission fluid or oil. A rear seal leak on the engine would allow engine oil to pass into the clutch area allowing contamination of the clutch plate. A failed transmission seal would allow trans fluid to contaminate the clutch. When my clutch slave seal failed, each pump of the clutch forced fluid past the seal and down the push rod to the trans seal which it destroyed, which in turn allowed fluids to contaminate the clutch. I made it 200 miles after I first noticed an issue with the clutch. Of course, trans seals can fail for other reasons. When mine became contaminated, it exhibited the same behaviour as you describe. It progressed rapidly, and I just barely made it home. A full clutch replacement was required along with the new slave seal and trans seal. Did most of it myself and save a ton, see all the posts here about doing such a job.

The only thing I did recently was replace tranny fluid..It did take more than the quart before it registered on the fork adj tool. I also noticed an oil smell
today. How do I find the posts on how to do the job?

I dont know if it matters or not but the transmission was much hotter to the touch today than the engine after about hour cool down

Step 1 is to make sure the transmission is not over filled. If it is the front seal is likely to leak.

Step 2 if it was overfilled is to drain and refill the transmission correctly. 850cc I believe so if it took a quart it is way too full.

Step 3 is to see if it continues to slip after no more oil is contaminating the clutch.

Step 4 would be to remove the transmission and fix the clutch.

Step 1 is to make sure the transmission is not over filled. If it is the front seal is likely to leak.

Step 2 if it was overfilled is to drain and refill the transmission correctly. 850cc I believe so if it took a quart it is way too full.

Step 3 is to see if it continues to slip after no more oil is contaminating the clutch.

Step 4 would be to remove the transmission and fix the clutch.

Thats what I am looking for. I did drain out. Is any hypoid 80-90W fine?

Thats what I am looking for. I did drain out. Is any hypoid 80-90W fine?

GL5 rated 80w90 is what is specified. My personal preference is Castrol 80w90 Limited Slip. It used to be called Hypoy C but they changed the name. I like it because Tom Cutter recommends it due to a high sulphur content.

As Paul noted, 850 cc is the correct amount. It has been so long since I had my 1100, I don't recall if the owner's manual mentions using the tool to measure or not. BUT, I never used a measuring tool on any of my K bikes other than the measure of 850cc in a container. A quart is 946 cc, or approximatley 11% Too Much. Good luck, I hope the clutch stops slipping.

As Paul noted, 850 cc is the correct amount. It has been so long since I had my 1100, I don't recall if the owner's manual mentions using the tool to measure or not. BUT, I never used a measuring tool on any of my K bikes other than the measure of 850cc in a container. A quart is 946 cc, or approximately 11% Too Much. Good luck, I hope the clutch stops slipping.

Yes my manual told me. I used my shock tool for one. the 1100 is an inch shorter than the 100. I marked mine like it was in the manual and I was wrong. I am thinking that the seal was due to go anyway. This bike sat for 2 years with no action at all. It had 57K when I got it 4500 miles ago in July.

As you have discovered, K1100s did not come with a shock tool for checking tranny levels. They came with a dipstick: 71 11 2 316 195 DIPSTICK $5.70

Well, at least yours came with one....my '93 did not come with one at all, but my wife worked at a lab that had lots of 'spare' graduated measuring divices......

Well, at least yours came with one....my '93 did not come with one at all, but my wife worked at a lab that had lots of 'spare' graduated measuring divices......

Yeah, lucky you. I don't have any measuring devices that ever graduated. They all came from garage sales.

Back