• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner (Coreheat 12)

FrankFlorio

Impulse
I'm thinking of buying this - has anyone tried it and have a comment? What's the best connection to the liner - direct to battery or via the cam bus connector? Thanks in advance.

Many of us use heated liners, and wouldn't ride without them in cool or cold weather.

I have an earlier Gerbing's, and no familiarity with Coreheat 12. I don't know how much current it draws, but your '07's accessory socket (the factory one that is fed through the bike's Can-Bus system) is probably limited to 7.5 amps; later bikes have a 10 amp limit. Possibly, the built-in socket won't have sufficient capacity to power the liner.

You can connect directly to the battery (with an in-line fuse), or use an accessory fusebox/relay combo (such as from Eastern Beaver, Centech, Fuzeblock, probably others); this is a relay system only provides power when the bike's ignition is on, and, therefore, no worry that you'll walk away from the bike, leaving the juice flowing.

Gerbing, was Gerbings, has changed owners and it looks like they are getting back to a quality product made in the US. They had many product issues with their China made stuff.

My early Gerbings liner worked great for many years. I gave it away when I lost weight and purchased a Gerbings Microwire liner. I had a series of over heating problems with the connections and junction box, not uncommon with the China stuff.

I just purchased another controller from the new Gerbing company, very fast service and it looks to be good quality. I hope they are back to being the top level company they were prior.

Own a two year old liner

I also bought the pants and use a fused line direct to battery, R1200CL, comes out between tank and seat.
You will need a controller or only use in 40 or below weather and when i did plug direct, without controller, I needed a short extension.
The jacket is a great liner but not alone because it will allow air at seams.
I have had no problems with jacket, pants or controller and enjoy using it.

alternative

I would definitely check warm n safe. Can't say it is made in USofA, but I suspect it is. Not only sold my Gerbings and am on my 2nd Warm n Safe, but Warm n Safe has a 'trade in' program that is incredibly affordable if you want to upgrade [which I did].
No affiliation, just real pleased. :thumb

I would recomend you connect to the battery with a fused pigtail, its a safe, reliable, and tested connection. I've read of issues folks have had with the CANBUS disconnecting electricity to the adaper plug, never experienced it so cannot say for sure. I cant comment on Gerbing equipment as I've used a Widder vest with arm chaps for the last 12 years very reliable bit of kit, unfortunately no longer made. For me this gear is a must for riding in the cold. Which ever gear you decide on report back on your experience, good luck.

Gerbing liner works fine

Bought one for the wife last summer for a trip up northern Quebec and it worked fine...maybe too good. It gave instant heat. It come with a on/off switch and was turned on and off frequently so I am looking at getting a variable power switch for it so you just set it to where you like it and leave it be . I wired mine direct to the battery . I had read somewhere that the acc. Socket on my 05 GS would not accommodate any heated item greater than heated gloves because of the canbus system. Good luck and stay WARM!!!
Happy trails ...rob.

Back