• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1993 R100GS Key Blank?

Darryl Cainey

Sir Darby
I only received 1 folding key for 1993 R100GS, after spending one hour and 3 failed attempts at make a duplicate Key, where do you get Key Blanks other than a BMW Dealer?

I want 2 straight keys and 1 folding key blanks.

I bought folding key blanks off Fleabay. Found a mom and pop hardware store who had a very old manual
key cutting machine. The gentleman there cut new keys off my original key in about 3 minutes per key.
Didn't even charge me for it. I think the key; no pun intended, is to find an old manual machine. I had an
Ace Hardware try to use their more modern automatic key machine and it could not cut the steel blank.
YRMV. Good luck.

I got my blanks from Max's...they have both straight and folding, and a local locksmith cut them for $2 (3 keys)

Try this?

Make sure you rotate the cap before you insert the key. No problems at all with a standard machine at True Value.

OK...OK...after mine was made I went in to complain that it does not work. After I talked to the guy who made it, I stared at my flat key and the button key for a second. It became clear the head needs to be pivoted before you insert it into the ignition.

Try it.

Make sure you rotate the cap before you insert the key. No problems at all with a standard machine at True Value.

OK...OK...after mine was made I went in to complain that it does not work. After I talked to the guy who made it, I stared at my flat key and the button key for a second. It became clear the head needs to be pivoted before you insert it into the ignition.

Try it.

I went to very well known locksmith and he could not cut a key to open any lock on my bike, he tried 3 different blanks.

The folding key I have for the bike woks fine. I want a few spares.

I just used the local key kiosk and they were able to give me a generic straight key and they cut a folding key blank I brought in. And, they used the only key I had, a folding key. Just keep trying to find someone who can cut the key properly.

I just used the local key kiosk and they were able to give me a generic straight key and they cut a folding key blank I brought in. And, they used the only key I had, a folding key. Just keep trying to find someone who can cut the key properly.

None of the 4 locksmiths had a key blank the would fit the profile of the BMW key.

I will have to get one on-line & have it cut.

Duplicate keys

Just a acquired new BMW bags for my bike and want duplicate the bag lock keys. While searching for a source to duplicate my key I located this thread. My local hardware stores are balking at duplicating my key using a folding key blank, next stop is my BMW dealer.

Lowes did this a few years ago for me for another key blank but now are unable to find the cassette to do this. Has anyone used Lowes to do this and know what cassette they used?

Finally when I use my key in my factory bags the lock cylinder comes out in two of the locks. How do I prevent this?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Update:

I ordered 2 straight & 1 folding key blanks from Motobins and took them to a real locksmith who cut them using the original folding key as a pattern,
They all work now.

Back