• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RT Throttle Body Knock

dieselyoda

When I found this, while looking for another problem, I was blown away. Originally I had thought I was looking at the expensive and time consuming complaints of cam chain tensioners or guides when I first noticed the knocking sound from my bike. I was absolutely certain that I was going into an engine rebuild along with my imminent tranny tear down.

What I found was this (video quality isn't great, but listen): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghF9nHcIn8E&feature=youtu.be

Something so simple, easy to repair and best of all, not a lot of money, $230.00 for both throttle bodies, full kits, OE Bing.

And it proves my point, keep it simple. When I start taking my own advice, I will quit drinking beer.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Wow, great advice!

I assume worm throttle shaft in the bushing. I haven't taken it apart yet.

The bike has 57,000 miles on it.

Another way to test for this is to spray WD40 or propane around the bushings. If idle speed picks up they are worn and sucking air in. Some wiggling helps expose the problem.

The only reason I mention this is the mileage seems a bit low for them to be worn already and my bike does exactly the same thing if the throttle cables adjusted even the slightest bit too tight.

The only reason I mention this is the mileage seems a bit low for them to be worn already and my bike does exactly the same thing if the throttle cables adjusted even the slightest bit too tight.

Cables loose, mileage relatively low, chronological time quite high. Confirmed today (didn't take it apart yet, trying to squeeze a few days riding left) that there is significant radial movement. I didn't throw a dial indicator on it but my guess is almost 0.200" of movement.

I took the tupperware off the other side because I was a bit concerned. Nothing, perfect.

I just want a couple more days of riding. Big question: How do I go for a bit of a boo with my finger on that throttle shaft?

Just kidding, but on a more serious note, great weigh-ins. Thank You.

I got just the right side kit from Dan first when my 96 GS started making that sound almost two years ago.
It actually improved my surging issue as well (though that could also have been replacing the TB O-rings that were cracked)

I have read that the TPS keeps the left shaft from making noise, but I am about ready to get a kit from Dan for the left TB.

-bil

I did both TB's myself on my 94 RS at 135,000 miles. I was able to do the work myself, and dial in the balance much better using my mercury sticks. Bike stills idles very smooth now and is easy to adjust.

Back