Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: number 8 fuel strip failed - '08 R1200R

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Windsor , Co.
    Posts
    84

    number 8 fuel strip failed - '08 R1200R

    Number eight
    I have already listed two bikes with multiple fuel strip failures,here is another one.
    We have had this 2008 R1200R for a few years and up until two and one half years ago we have replaced 7 seven strips on it. six of these in one year.

    We were on a short ride today and as leaving home the bike's engine quit running, just shut off and forced my wife to pull off and restart it.
    She stated that the fuel gauge started going nut's again and showed low fuel but also showed 200 miles remaining on mileage calculator.

    We have lots of experience with strip failures but none that caused the engine to cut off and quit running.
    It started right up and ran fine the rest of the trip but the strip is dead once again.
    Yes just after the two year warranty expired.


    Has anyone had this occur to them when their strip failed?
    Last edited by deilenberger; 10-20-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added year/model to title

  2. #2
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,761
    Hi Dave - re: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I'm adding the year/model to your thread title.

    You're one fuel strip ahead of me.. as far as failure causing a lack of running - nope, haven't heard this as being related to the fuel strip (unless the person was out of fuel.) It's possible that the connector to the fuel pump assembly (which carries both the pump and the fuel strip wiring) might be wonky somehow. I would ask the dealer to appeal to BMW for help with the 8th strip - since your bike has a history of them failing.

    Most of us with the failing strips tend to rely on the odometer for knowing when we're getting low. If I reach 200 miles on a tank, I don't care what the fuel gauge says - I start looking for fuel. That hasn't failed me yet (my bike normally gets 45-55MPG, and with over 5 gallons fuel capacity - actually about 5.7 gallons - I'm pretty safe filling up at the 200 mile mark.) If I know I'm getting the higher end of the MPG range, I may go 240 miles or so (the MPG readout on the OBC is independent of the fuel strip - and from my calculations when I fill up, is actually pretty accurate.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Windsor , Co.
    Posts
    84

    Thanks forgot to add that in the title

    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Hi Dave - re: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I'm adding the year/model to your thread title.

    You're one fuel strip ahead of me.. as far as failure causing a lack of running - nope, haven't heard this as being related to the fuel strip (unless the person was out of fuel.) It's possible that the connector to the fuel pump assembly (which carries both the pump and the fuel strip wiring) might be wonky somehow. I would ask the dealer to appeal to BMW for help with the 8th strip - since your bike has a history of them failing.

    Most of us with the failing strips tend to rely on the odometer for knowing when we're getting low. If I reach 200 miles on a tank, I don't care what the fuel gauge says - I start looking for fuel. That hasn't failed me yet (my bike normally gets 45-55MPG, and with over 5 gallons fuel capacity - actually about 5.7 gallons - I'm pretty safe filling up at the 200 mile mark.) If I know I'm getting the higher end of the MPG range, I may go 240 miles or so (the MPG readout on the OBC is independent of the fuel strip - and from my calculations when I fill up, is actually pretty accurate.)
    We also have learned to rely on mileage and not the gauge, as you know they have either failed or they are about to.
    This one was just weird how it caused the engine to cut out.
    The dealer has had this bike apart so many times I wonder if the electrical connections to the pump are worn out?
    Not out of fuel only took 1.5 gallons to fill it up
    Thanks
    Dave

  4. #4
    Kbiker BCKRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    765
    I've read so many comments about "fuel strip failure" that I have to wonder why BMW ever went to them. My first BMW (1987 K75) only had a "low fuel" dash light - an OK if not great system. When it came on and stayed on in level riding, I knew I needed fuel within the next 50 miles or so. I too went with the trip odometer method since my MPG was quite consistent. My current 1992 K100RS has both the "low fuel" light and (gasp!) an accurate gas gauge. On a recent trip the bike developed a problem which had it frequently running on only three of its four cylinders. Fuel consumption DOUBLED. At least, the accurate gas gauge didn't let me compound the problem by running out of gas!
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

  5. #5
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    4,097
    08 R12R here with no fuel strip (or other) issues. Your story worries me. I think that were I to have a failure I would not have it fixed until it is evident that BMW has a real solution to the problem.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  6. #6
    Registered User selyab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    75

    Hmm

    Sorry to armchair quarterback here but maybe it isn't the strip. Maybe it is something that gets reset or "massaged" when you disassemble everything to replace a strip.

  7. #7
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,509

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by davesbmw View Post
    Number eight
    I have already listed two bikes with multiple fuel strip failures,here is another one.
    We have had this 2008 R1200R for a few years and up until two and one half years ago we have replaced 7 seven strips on it. six of these in one year.

    We were on a short ride today and as leaving home the bike's engine quit running, just shut off and forced my wife to pull off and restart it.
    She stated that the fuel gauge started going nut's again and showed low fuel but also showed 200 miles remaining on mileage calculator.

    We have lots of experience with strip failures but none that caused the engine to cut off and quit running.
    It started right up and ran fine the rest of the trip but the strip is dead once again.
    Yes just after the two year warranty expired.


    Has anyone had this occur to them when their strip failed?
    Per BMW, there is no problem with the fuel strip (or any other parts, for that matter).

    Must be something you're doing wrong.


    PS: FYI, that was sarcasm. Humor and logic have poor track records on the Forum - thought I'd take this out for a spin!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  8. #8
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    4,097
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Per BMW, there is no problem with the fuel strip (or any other parts, for that matter).

    Must be something you're doing wrong.


    PS: FYI, that was sarcasm. Humor and logic have poor track records on the Forum - thought I'd take this out for a spin!

    Unfortunately, your sarcasm is sometimes what a dealer believes is the truth.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    2,127
    Try the sympathy approach- eight dead ones might actually be the record!

    Or maybe the blackmail approach- you could convince Guiness to make a new category for their record book and claim the record.

    Either way, glad its not me- for whatever luck of the draw I've got, both BMWs with strips still have the original working...

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Windsor , Co.
    Posts
    84

    Did not want to be a record holder

    Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Try the sympathy approach- eight dead ones might actually be the record!

    Or maybe the blackmail approach- you could convince Guiness to make a new category for their record book and claim the record.

    Either way, glad its not me- for whatever luck of the draw I've got, both BMWs with strips still have the original working...
    I just wish BMW would recognize this issue and come up with a working fuel gauge of any kind.
    The trouble in doing nothing is that you have that stupid low fuel light on all the time.
    Go back to the low level light that worked great and still does on the older bikes or come up with a retrofit using the new float system that they have installed on the newer ones.
    It is sad that so many of us have this issue and no fix.

    Dave

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Windsor , Co.
    Posts
    84

    Bmw says no

    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Per BMW, there is no problem with the fuel strip (or any other parts, for that matter).

    Must be something you're doing wrong.


    PS: FYI, that was sarcasm. Humor and logic have poor track records on the Forum - thought I'd take this out for a spin!
    Kevin
    If it weren't so frustrating it would be comical.

    Took it to the dealer after contacting BMW motorad USA for a diagnostic to confirm it was a bad fuel strip.

    When I contacted Customer Service at BMW USA to let them know the dealer had diagnose it as a faulty strip. The gal I spoke with said After reviewing your service and warranty history it appears BMW has replaced your fuel strip multiple times under warranty and will not be able to do so again since the strip 2 year warranty expired 3 months prior.
    You cannot expect BMW to replace your strips free forever can you?
    After that she asked very nicely if there were anything else they could help with,I said yes they could produce a strip that works and last more than two years.
    She stated that if this a problem with a lot of bikes they probably have someone working on it.

    You just have to laugh

    Happy riding
    Dave

  12. #12
    Just me rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by davesbmw View Post
    Kevin
    If it weren't so frustrating it would be comical.

    Took it to the dealer after contacting BMW motorad USA for a diagnostic to confirm it was a bad fuel strip.

    When I contacted Customer Service at BMW USA to let them know the dealer had diagnose it as a faulty strip. The gal I spoke with said After reviewing your service and warranty history it appears BMW has replaced your fuel strip multiple times under warranty and will not be able to do so again since the strip 2 year warranty expired 3 months prior.
    You cannot expect BMW to replace your strips free forever can you?
    After that she asked very nicely if there were anything else they could help with,I said yes they could produce a strip that works and last more than two years.
    She stated that if this a problem with a lot of bikes they probably have someone working on it.

    You just have to laugh

    Happy riding
    Dave
    OMG That is too funny. What can ya say to a response like that one from BMW

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    2,127
    Guys,
    Understand that in euro companies (and many American ones) for which I know the organization setup, customer service reports to marketing and is merely a way to gather marketing info- the purpose of which is only to sell more product. Expecting intelligence from such a group is a waste of time and your effort. They can only make you happy if it costs nothing and needs no approval from anyone else.

    If a customer service group is going to be of any real use for customer problems, it needs to be part of operations- the part of the company that makes and delivers the product and parts- and needs to own a budget it controls for dealing with them. While ops guys don't get too excited about field problems, they get annoyed about 2 things for sure- anything that costs too much wasted $ and anything that causes glitches in getting product ready for shipment.

    BMW is making so much money off these strips they surely don't give a hoot....

  14. #14
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,509

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Unfortunately, your sarcasm is sometimes what a dealer believes is the truth.
    Sadly, my friend, you are correct.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Windsor , Co.
    Posts
    84

    BMW paid for # 8

    The service manager sent a request for BMW to pay for the strip and the local rep approved it.
    Had it replaced yesterday covered under warranty.
    Thanks Wayne, service manager at Northern Colorado Euro.
    Well we are good for another two years hope it last this time.
    Happy riding
    Dave

    anyone looking for a clean low mile R1200R with a new strip and a two year warranty?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •