• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

anybody here tried on the olympia AST *and* the 1st-gear kilimanjaro?

ezwicky

hi all,

i live about 25 minutes from revzilla and i'm going over there today to try on an olympia AST jacket. they do not carry first-gear products in their showroom (and neither does cycle-gear) so i can't try on a kilimanjaro jacket, so if i decide on one based on reviews, i would have to order it sight-unseen.

so, assuming a size large AST fits me right, would i be safe with a size large kilimanjaro?

looking for experience from anybody who has tried on both *recently*. i hear there have been changes in both jackets this year.

thanks in advance,

-eric

I don't have the Olympia AST, but I do have an Olympia mesh jacket AND a FG Kili (III) jacket.

I CAN report that both fit me well in 2XL so they do tend to run true to size and are consistent in build size.

I LOVE my Kili and would be truly content with either an Olympia or a Kili jacket. Both are well built, logical, reliable and comfortable.

Hope this helps.

The folks over at Revzilla should be able to help you out with sizing, even if they don't carry the Kili.

I've had my AST and Ranger pant for 7 years and it's holding up well. Other than a somewhat odd fit around the collar (may have been changed in the later variation) it fits well and true to size. I like the vents but you have to carefully close them up for total rain-proofing.

While at Revzilla have a look at the Revit stuff.

pete

thanks pete & arthur,

i tried on the AST and i'm glad i did. by the measurement advice, i should have ordered a large. but a medium ended up fitting me better. so i ordered one in hi-viz and they are sending it to me.

i do have rev't gear already: tornado jacket and pants. they are great for spring, summer and fall, and the AST will be for winter with my gerbings heated jacket liner in place of the AST liner.

now, to decide on winter over-pants. olympia ranger or 1st-gear HT... haha i know, another thread.

-eric

I do:)

I have all the above jackets:). My Kilomanjaro is very old now(over 20 years), BUT a wow jacket and a favorite of mine. I hear the newer ones are not same quality? Unknown. My Oly AST is fine and only complaint is its a STIFF jacket and takes breakin time. After 3 years, its still stiff to wear. I wore it all Summer in Alaska and its a the High VIZ yellow also. Did very well, wearing it everyday for 3 months on the road. The VIZ yellow attracts everything dirt!!! NOT an easy jacket to keep clean and you just give up after a while. My latest is the OLY Mesh high viz yellow again and I have worn it a little, like. My AST has kept me totally dry, thru tough conditions. IF I had a complaint about AST, it would be the velcro over the vents. Its tough enough, just hard to use. Minor thing. Those spending the bigger bucks for KLIM and the like, I just don't understand because I see no differences.

thanks polarbear,

i will be using the AST for winter, over my gerbings liner. the rev'it tornado will cover the other 3 seasons.

but the AST should also see service as an occasional jacket for my wife. she seldom rides on the back with me, but she is almost the same size as me, so for the occasional two-up foray it should do ok year-round.

Good choice:)

I would buy my AST again. The VIZ yellow is a bit of a task to clean, but I still like the bright jacket theme. I wash mine maybe twice a year in washer, NO dryer. Found the "Simple Green" scrubbed into jacket outside shell with brush, works wonders removing most grime. I do this before washing machine. I to carry Gerbings gear underneath. I rarely have used the jacket liner that came with jacket, but do carry it for the really cold days below freezing. Nice youre able to share with wife:).

thanks pete & arthur,

i tried on the AST and i'm glad i did. by the measurement advice, i should have ordered a large. but a medium ended up fitting me better.

-eric

I am considering the AST jacket...at the dealer I tried on one of their Air jackets and the large fit better than medium. But the charts say I should order a medium? I am almost 5' 10" and weigh 160 lbs.

Back