• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100RT Retractable headlights?

Has anyone ever heard of retractable foglights as an option on a R100RT? They are in the place of the air vent's on the front fairing.

I called them my lazer cannons on my 83 RT........One was a flat more or less fog beam that was in conjunction with the low headlight beam and the other was a blow em away spot that was mated to the headlight high. Get up behind a slow one on the interstate and flash a few times approaching and one gets an immediate clear lane........Was really good stuff.......God bless.......Dennis

Thanks to all. Thats a real cool option I wouldn't mind having!

I haven't heard from others if the option worked out all that well. If it was such a good thing, how come it didn't last? How water tight was the opening? Seems to me it might be a path for water to inside and around the fairing.

The driving/fog lights were an over the counter option at that time and they were a fairly expensive item on a reasonably expensive motorcycle. At the time it was often difficult to get a buyer to step up and pay the $69. charged for the kick starter. As for water problems... I have had them on my Rt for many years with no problems. The light kits occasionally come up for sale on various sites and seem to sell fairly quickly.

I think it was the price that kept them from being popular. As for water coming in around the lights, I really haven't noticed it, and they do light up the road really well. I was told by a shop owner that he had seen the pop-out light kit sell for up to $800 recently.

Looks like aero drag to me.......Now if they were paint ball guns that'd be interesting.

Aux lights nearly always add drag. At least with this option, drag could be eliminated when the lights were not in use. Wish this was available on newer bikes, or that aux lights could be incorporated into the fairing.

There was nothing stopping water ingress with the standard vents either, although there once were block-off plates for the vents. These are still shown in parts system, but NLA.

These are a good lesson that the OE electrical system couldn't handle two auxiliary lights, as indeed only one of these would ever illuminate at the same time as described above

They did originate in Europe, as did the rest of the motorcycle. The pieces all have BMW part numbers, although they are no longer listed in the parts system.

I payed 600 bucks for a pair in California, ad through MOA. That included shipping to Norway. Maybe 10 years ago.
Around same time, I found a pair in Holland. He was dealing with airheads/parts. Payed maybe € 350. I needed the right exhaust mount, got that for free.
Once saw a pair on ebay.de, together with some nuts and bolts. Seller did not realize what he was sitting on. Suddenly, ad was gone.
I've had both my pairs painted to match my 95RT. I use both "long light" lenses. So on high beam, I got 3 X 35W xenon burning. With stock charging, I spend more than I earn. Next trip usually in daylight, so other way around.
Without them, I would've needed another solution. Or slowed down.
Hans
Middle of Norway

If a person can find a set what do they usually have to pay for them?

The first set I got came with my 83 RT not fitted when i purchased her about 10 years ago.

recently I got a set on ebay for $400 inc shipping last year but don't have an RT to put them on !

Maybe willing to sell for the right price

I am looking for the blanks for my R100RT Retractable headlights
Anyone got some for sale ????

Might be rare as hens teeth! For those that might have something to help this member out, please make sure that any buying/selling of parts is done off line and not in the forum. Consider the Marketplace link at the top of the page as well. Good luck!!

Set for sale here in BMWMOA market place

Here is a guy that has a set for sale on the BMWMOA market place under airhead parts.
22 Yorkview Drive
ON M8Z 3E9
Canada
416 4549599 (Main Phone)
416 4549599 (Mobile Phone)

Back