• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1996 k11rs?

bob_m

As a long time airhead owner I know nothing about the flying bricks other that they have a stellar reputation for reliability. I plan to have a summer fling with one next year and then see where that leads. Winter is the time to buy, so I am looking.
The K1200GT is one that I covet, but the black and silver K1100RS SE is uncommonly attractive.
What should I look for when buying used? Is there any indicator about known weak points such as fuel pump? I know about heat from the K11. Are there other annoyances that could sway the decision? What about ease of maintenance? I do the standard maintenance on the airhead and it runs well.
Thank you

K1100rs

I have a 95 K1100RS owned it since 1997. You will notice more heat on the K bike because you are sitting behind the radiator. All water cooled bikes dump heat on the rider. The K1100RS will put a noticeable amount of heat on your left ankle, wear the proper riding boots and it wont't be a problem. The fuel pumps on the K are no less reliable than other BMWs. If the bike sits for years the fuel pump can be a problem along with the rubber damper it is mounted in. The K bikes take less maintenance then an airhead. If you like to adjust valves you will be disappointed with a K bike: the valves rarely require adjustment. Clutch splines need to be lubed at 40000K on later K1100 bikes. Renew the Clutch shaft o-ring at that time and you will eliminate the most common oil leak problem. If you buy a K bike learn how to read the engine fault codes. There is allot of info out there on how read fault codes, most of it is correct. Some K bikes take oil, some do not, mine does.
Cheers,
Merle

K11RS lifer

Bob, I own a '96 KRS with 100K+ on the clock (all mine). My three long standing gripes against the machine are oil consumption, lack of a sixth gear and excessive heat. The first two I cannot control. The third can be mitigated though not eliminated. That being said there isn't anything out there new or used that I would trade it for.

Back