• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bent Brake Lever at Drum?

brittrunyon

'92 R100GS
Looking at the my '81 R 100/t I see a straight brake arm..........
& all looks inline and as it should be.

Same view of my '92 R 100 GS shows something quite different. The cable is not a straight line.:brow
& the lever appears bent........
Would someone kindly look at their GS and inform me if this is right or wrong.
Thanks Gang :)

Being a GS, it might be that it was hit from below when off road. Any evidence that the bottom most part of the lever of it being hit by a rock or something? It should looks bent to me.

Here's a new GS part. It does look a tad straighter. Accoroding to the part number cross ref found on MAXBMW, both bike use the same brake arm. 35 21 1 239 078

35211239078_1_B.jpg

I think I can just make out that same number on the trailing side of the GS part in the picture. I know those aren't supposed to be part numbers, but it does look like the last seven of the part number - 1 239 078...could be 079, though.

I think the part should be the same in both pictures...obviously, they're not.

The straight one..........

The not so straight one.......

Looks like the #'s match.
That arm is $80 :brow......that's a lot of $.
I wonder if it will improve the rear braking power?
Thanks for the input........

You know, the Emerald Island Co makes a snazzy (straight) stainless brake arm that they say would fit your bike. I don't know if it would cost less than a new OEM brake arm.

http://www.repro-works.com

I'm not sure if you can buy direct from these guys. Rick Jones sells a lot of their electrical stuff, but I don't know who sells the non-electrical stuff.

I guess I am wondering if this is really worth worrying about, let alone, spending that much to replace?

For used items, call Re-Psycle in Lithopolis, OH outside Columbus.

Thanks for the replacement part alternatives.

I'll take a closer look for cracks & such today.
I wonder if it's been weakened and the next time it gets whacked it'll snap?

Thanks Again................:)

Thanks for the replacement part alternatives.

I'll take a closer look for cracks & such today.
I wonder if it's been weakened and the next time it gets whacked it'll snap?

Thanks Again................:)

I would also worry about the angle the cable takes as it exits the cover. That could cause a weak spot.

I guess I am wondering if this is really worth worrying about, let alone, spending that much to replace?

For used items, call Re-Psycle in Lithopolis, OH outside Columbus.

I'm with you on this one. Unless there is visible stress marks or cracking I would quickly file this under "don't worry about it" or get a used one. Given the type of metal it's made from I wouldn't try and bend it back either.

Back