Thread: 2013 F700gs fork oil weight

Question 2013 F700gs fork oil weight

Hi, I'm a new owner of a 2013 F700gs and I would like to try a heavier weight oil in the forks. Does anyone know what the factory weight oil is in the forks? I love the bike, but wanted a little firmer ride and wanted to try a heaver weight oil first before going with aftermarket springs. I mostly ride pavement.
    Thanks
    Little Red

I believe the stock weight is 7.5. I like to run 15wt in my bikes.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by 172360 View Post
    Hi, I'm a new owner of a 2013 F700gs and I would like to try a heavier weight oil in the forks. Does anyone know what the factory weight oil is in the forks? I love the bike, but wanted a little firmer ride and wanted to try a heaver weight oil first before going with aftermarket springs. I mostly ride pavement.
    Thanks
    Little Red
    Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Thumbs up F 700gs Fork oil weight

This is my first time I've posted on the forum and Thank You for your reply, I will try your recommendation. I stepped down to the F700 from the 1200 gsa and love the comfort of a smaller bike.
    Thanks Again!
    Little Red

Riding for the SON
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    Check you sag, that is how much it settles when you mount the bike. Should be about 2 inches. Adjust by the spacers under the fork cap. If you have to much sag stock, you should look at a stronger spring. Race Tech and other can help. Heaver fork oil will not change the sag. It will give a stiffer ride. I went for Race Tech springs and there Gold Valve cartage eliminators. Makes gravel roads fell more planted.

F700 Fork oil

Quote Originally Posted by ROYBARNES View Post
    Check you sag, that is how much it settles when you mount the bike. Should be about 2 inches. Adjust by the spacers under the fork cap. If you have to much sag stock, you should look at a stronger spring. Race Tech and other can help. Heaver fork oil will not change the sag. It will give a stiffer ride. I went for Race Tech springs and there Gold Valve cartage eliminators. Makes gravel roads fell more planted.
    Thank you for the tip. Sorry for not replying sooner!
    Thanks Again
    Little Red

yeah... my manual says:

Level of fork oil in fork leg (air chamber) with Forks fully compressed, spring removed, spacer installed: 100 mm

Fluids and lubricants: Hydraulic fluid SAE 7.5

I'd not heard of the racetech product, but installed what (appears to be similar ) Intiminators from Ricor and they were a big help to me...
    as a by-product of installation they increased the spring preload by ~1/2" which was good for me @ about 190lbs.

There is a thread over on ADVRider somewhere about the Intiminators. With the intiminators they recommend you drop down one notch on the viscosity...