• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Roadside Assistance ?

PittsDriver

Fuse lit....
For those of you that have placed claims with BMW Roadside Assistance, how long did it take to have your claim processed and get your reimbursement check. I had a break down Santa Fe on Sept 11, put in my claim the following week, and now over a month later can't find anyone at BMW Roadside that can tell me if my claim has been received, is being processed, or is in the mail. When I filed the claim I was told it could take 2 - 3 weeks. When I called today, they said they don't start to try to track it down until it's been 30 days - which mine has been. They told me if I don't see anything in the next 20 days, call them again and ask about it.

Just trying to figure out if this is normal for BMW Roadside? The last time I had a claim I had to write them multiple times to get a reimbursement.

What is it you're claiming? The cost of the tow?

In Santa Fe the dealer itself would have come and picked you up, no charge.

I recently got a letter from BMW of North America telling me the roadside assistance that came with my bike had expired and offering to sell me a package. One of the benefits--and I quote--is, "Experts arrive to help you install your inflated spare tire." Ummm, thanks.
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

What is it you're claiming? The cost of the tow?

In Santa Fe the dealer itself would have come and picked you up, no charge.

The RH switch cluster crapped out on my K1600GT and the bike wouldn't start while sitting on the square in Santa Fe. I had the bike towed after hours to Santa Fe BMW and stayed in a hotel walking distance from the dealer. I was planning to stay there one night anyway so no harm. But it took them an extra day to get the parts in to fix it and I was stuck for an extra night in the hotel. I was also asked to pay $80 for expediting the switch from Tulsa BMW. I never saw the tow charge. So I'm asking for reimbursement for one night in a hotel and the expedited shipping charge. I was 2,000 miles from home so it certainly qualifies for trip interruption. The day of down time cost me a day of exploring the Ozarks on my way back home to Annapolis MD and I basically had to boogie all the way home from Santa Fe on the slab due to the problem.

So, has anyone else been reimbursed for a roadside claim? The one other time I had a claim I had to write to them multiple times attaching my receipts each time and reasserting my claim. It took months to get reimbursed and only after pestering them to process my claim and getting my dealer to pester them as well. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Just to follow up, I received my reimbursement check today about 30 days after I filed my claim.

I guess no one here uses Roadside Assist? My impression here is that this forum is mainly the haunt of vintage bike owners so maybe it's not a relevant place to ask the question?

Just to follow up, I received my reimbursement check today about 30 days after I filed my claim.

I guess no one here uses Roadside Assist? My impression here is that this forum is mainly the haunt of vintage bike owners so maybe it's not a relevant place to ask the question?

Not sure about the rest. I've got 13 years and about 300k miles on BMW's. Under wty. the whole time. Used it once for a blown tire/hauled to a nearby Harley store, bought the tire and kept going toward alaska. My guess is that it isn't used a lot or maybe there all out riding.

PS, assume PittsDriver means your a pilot. I used to land at Curtis's field south of miami in my Tiger Moth.

Not sure about the rest. I've got 13 years and about 300k miles on BMW's. Under wty. the whole time. Used it once for a blown tire/hauled to a nearby Harley store, bought the tire and kept going toward alaska. My guess is that it isn't used a lot or maybe there all out riding.

PS, assume PittsDriver means your a pilot. I used to land at Curtis's field south of miami in my Tiger Moth.

Curtis was one-of-a-kind. I met him once at the Pitts fly-in in Ozark Alabama. It's an amazing design and guys like him don't come along very often.

I had reason to use it a week or so ago. Ran out of gas on my way to the dealership to have the fuel strip replaced under warranty. Since it was raining and I was only 2 miles from the shop and didn't have the shop phone # on me, I had my son call the shop. Meanwhile I called Roadside assist. After the eternal menu system rigmarole and while the friendly BMW person had me on hold to verify something, the truck from the shop came around the corner with a can of gas. On my way. a while later I get a call that the service truck will arrive in about 40 minutes. That would have been a nice hang in the rain! so... came close, but did not use the roadside assist. Used Hap's Cycle Sales of Sarasota Old School roadside assist instead...

Last edited:
Due to poor judgement on my part, I found myself at a motel in Tonopah NV (for those of you not from the southwest, the middle of the Nevada desert ) with the steel belts showing on my rear tire. The nearest motorcycle dealer of any brand is 200 miles away, and I'm way too old to be trucking across the desert with questionable tires. The BMW roadside assistance would have gotten me, what, 35 miles? I called my Progressive roadside assistance. They had a flatbed truck there early the next morning, ready to take me the 200 miles to Las Vegas BMW. Had a long time to chat with the driver. When asked how much this ride was costing Progressive, the answer was, "About $1000." So how much does the roadside assistance cost me as part of my motorcycle insurance? $6! Now granted, if they could have found a Honda dealer, or even an independent, who said they could get the proper tire and do the work, that's where Progressive would have taken me. Bottom line is, they did whatever it would take to get me back on the road.

Back