• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

heated glove liners: gerbings or first-gear?

ezwicky

hi all,

i'm looking for opinions from people who have either gerbings or first-gear (or both) heated glove liners.

i will be buying a pair from revzilla, who is just 30 minutes from me, so i will go there and try them on as well as a pair of waterproof gloves to go over them, and i wanted to see if there's any compelling reason to choose gerbings over first-gear, or vice-versa.

i have a gerbings heated liner in case that info helps.

thanks in advance,

-eric

Hi Eric, I have the Gerbings glove liners. And if I had the choice now I would just get the heated gloves and not the liners. The liners want to slide inside the gloves when putting them on,and they seem quite bulky. The gloves I had to purchase to get the liners in are to big to use without the liners so they are dedicated to the liners anyway. The liners have velcro at the wrist that is difficult to opperate once you have a glove on the other hand. They seem to short for the gloves because of the extended cuff area of the glove.Hope this helps you in your choice. John

thanks john. i actually have the gerbing T-5 gloves, but i am having trouble with stashing the wires after i put them on. i put my liner on, then my outer jacket (rev'it tornado), with the wires hanging out of the sleeves. so far, so good.

then i connect the glove wires to the jacket-liner wires and put the gloves on, with the gauntlets over my cuffs. the problem is, now i can't reach the wire-stash pocket in my liner, and the wires have to go somewhere, so they go inside the gloves and this is really annoying to my hands and wrists.

so i am thinking that the solution to this is glove liners, which i will put on and connect to the liner *before* i put the outer jacket on. then i can stash the excess wire in the jacket sleeve, *then* put the jacket on. then i will slip on the water-proof gloves.

this is my reasoning for wanting the liners. also, there's the issue of the heated gloves not having any real "protection".

so i was wondering if either the 1st-gear liners, or the gerbings liners have any inherent pros or cons related to each other.

thanks,

-eric

I've got the T-5's and love them. I dress like you describe. Gauntlets over jacket sleeves. Whatever excess wire I just leave, maybe a loop 1-2" long? Never had a problem.

Good luck!

you have a good point there. maybe i shouldn't be so concerned with hiding the wires. i will keep this in mind as i make my decision.

thanks,

-eric

I also find the same problem with stashing the wires with the liners. And if you are thinking the boots also, I found the inserts to be very uncomfortable because of the wire routing in the boot and the thickness of the insole, havn't tried the socks but I think they look more user friendly.

I got a pair of FirstGear liners and sent them right back. There was waaaay too much going on inside the glove, what with the glove's internal liner, the heated liner, the wires.... I'll put out the $$ for dedicated gloves this winter.

I have had the Gerbing's Heated Glove Liners for almost 4 years now and like them a lot. They are the only heated elements I have, so I run the wires between my jacket liner and jacket, out the sleeves. Connect the glove liners and wear older Olympia Windtex gloves over them. They are a little bulky and stiff, but work well.

I understand that the new liners are made with the micro wire tecnology, so they are not as stiff as my version.

Last winter I bought a pair of Pinnacle Gloves from Cabela's and used them down to the mid 20's without any liner at all.

It's nice to have some heat if needed.

The newer Gerbings seem to have thinner more flexible wires. My previous generation gloves have overly thick, stiff wires that are, as you say, a bit of a pain.

Heated hands

hi all,

i'm looking for opinions from people who have either gerbings or first-gear (or both) heated glove liners.

i will be buying a pair from revzilla, who is just 30 minutes from me, so i will go there and try them on as well as a pair of waterproof gloves to go over them, and i wanted to see if there's any compelling reason to choose gerbings over first-gear, or vice-versa.

thanks in advance,

-eric

I have a pair Gerbings heated gloves not so good. I have since brought a pair of Powerlet heated glove liners and they work great. Even in 7 degree weather. I do not ride without them.
Matthew

hi all,

thanks in advance,

-eric

Another option is POWERLET. I have been using the POWERLET jacket liner and glove liner for over 2 years. I ride all year round. The coldest has been 3 degrees. I have ridden many miles in a day never felt cold.
Matthew

+1 for Powerlet. I just replaced my Gerbings jacket liner and gloves with Powerlet glove liners and jacket liner. They work very well, and the wireless controls are a big plus over the clunky Gerbings dual controller.

Back