• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Adding a fuel filter for a cam head RT

chrismiii

R1100RT,K75,Burgman650
Has anyone been able to install a fuel filter on the new r1200rt ? Does anyone feel there is room enough under the Tupperware and if so where? I would only use a BMW r1100rt filter as it's soldered sealed, correct fuel line size, and can withstand the fuel pump pressure. I know the pump itself has a filter / screen, however I would feel much better installing an additional one.
Any suggestion are welcome. I have a 2011 RT
Thanks

According to the MAX BMW fiche, the fuel system has a substantial fuel filter already in it. All $35.22 of it.

All I see is the fuel screen

The max site only displayed the fuel screen strainer on the bottom of the fuel pump.
Can you please show me where you find the fuel filter you see?

Space is unlikely - don't forget heat related constraints- and routing plus connections add leak and damage risk that is not insubstantial to a system already known for possible leaks from several parts.
What justification could one have for doing this? There is no rash of reported fuel plugging issues with any of the R1200s.
Solution in search of a problem??

It doesn't need an additional filter, and if you installed one externally it would be downstream of the internal filter, so if you caught a load of something, you'd still be down until you could remove the filter from inside the tank. On my R1150R I relocated the filter to the outside in order to be able to replace it roadside if I had an issue (bad gas or water in the gas) and carried a spare. It definitely makes preventive replacements easier. I don't know if the real estate on the RT allows this.

Done properly, it is reliable. Mine had been set up this way for eight years. Key is to use the right hose (fuel rated internally and externally) for the internal bypass and a proper job on the external plumbing. Not difficult.

fuel filter

It doesn't need an additional filter, and if you installed one externally it would be downstream of the internal filter, so if you caught a load of something, you'd still be down until you could remove the filter from inside the tank. On my R1150R I relocated the filter to the outside in order to be able to replace it roadside if I had an issue (bad gas or water in the gas) and carried a spare. It definitely makes preventive replacements easier. I don't know if the real estate on the RT allows this.

Done properly, it is reliable. Mine had been set up this way for eight years. Key is to use the right hose (fuel rated internally and externally) for the internal bypass and a proper job on the external plumbing. Not difficult.

Yep -did the same on my old 2000 r1100rt -worked well but only use the BMW filter because the fram and like will leak with the fuel pressure.
it just makes no sense as a mechanic for me to have the fuel filter buried the way BMW did it. - I don't want to cause any of my own problems also so I guess I'll just live with it. I see sone one posted a nice picture on the site of a guy on his GS that had room and installed one right up on one of the hoses which come out of the fuel pump hole panel. Since they have more room it's very doable -not so much on the RT's.

Thanks much

The R12R with it's steel tank has an external filter under the tank in the tunnel area...the plastic tank models do not. It isn't the same size as the 1100/1150...but close.

I have pulled the fuel pump assy out of a late model RT and don't recall anything but the screen. :dunno
#4 is the strainer screen

RT fuel pump.png

EDIT:
Here is a link from a 2009 thread and a ST with stock inline filter mounted up by pump... I forgot it did, even with plastic tank...would be a logical placement if wanted

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?40844-Fuel-Filter-Questions-R1200RT

View attachment 42151View attachment 42151

Attachments

• ST fuel filter.png
    ST fuel filter.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Yes but the 1200R also has its fuel connectors low on the side almost toward the bottom of the tank, unlike the GS or RT on top front.

On an RT the only obvious but somewhat small space underneath that I can think of is where the dual horns used to go and now only a single. Some put a second larger than stock horn there so I guess a filter would fit if it can be routed cleanly away from heat. And one can always fab a heat shield of some sort if needed.
But still, why?

Some guys take a GS to parts of the world where if it burns its good enough and there can be all manner of crap in it. Here, I've never heard anyone I know claim they plugged an RT fuel system. I understand the theoretical and in fact I plugged a super dinky stock Nissan filter on a 240Z many years ago and promptly replaced it with a much larger American one for pretty similar logic. But since the early 70s I've never again encountered really dirt loaded fuel in this country nor have I managed to plug another filter- not even on my boats (and given that algae love marine fuel that accumulates water that's doing pretty well.) or track machinery where- my last track toy gobbled fuel at !/2 gal per minute and would have quickly and expensively revealed a plugged filter. On the last boat I always filled the two tanks from separate sources just in case (we fished 50 miles out many days) but in the end it proved a solution to a non-existent problem. None of our Rs or Ks (2 of each at the moment) have ever plugged an injector either. Maybe the screens are fine enough that anything that passes the screen will also pass the injector (never compared "hole" sizes)??

I also get the idea of moving an in the tank filter to outside - doing the filters and U hose on the R1100S serves as a reminder that this isn't most folks favorite design feature of the old models.

It seems odd some R12 series have/had them and others did not. R & ST yes, S, RT, GSA,HP, no.What's up with that?

2007 R12R San Antonio owner purchased some contaminated fuel from a huge warehouse store...rode it less than 5 miles back home and would not re-start. Received a letter from big box stores corporate office using purchase date/time to say OOPS...we will pay for any damage. The station was barricaded about a week. He was glad he didn't fuel his Porsche up that day!

I went and picked his bike up, the fuel smelled like bug poison/Varsol and the pump failed ( it's sitting on my bench) At least I got him one with the reinforced ring on the plate.
I gave him a sample of the non-fuel in case there was an issue with claim...they paid it all. The filter was fairly blocked as well. I tried to pump fuel thru it with not much success. Root cause hard to determine if clogged filter caused failed pump or the non-fuel did it in. No moisture in the non-fuel. just a dark brown tint.

Have 1100/1150 riding friends who have had to change the filter after a water issue in the freshly pumped fuel...dead on road after a few miles ...would it have started with no filter and passed the water thru....who knows? I would guess not, maybe depends on how much contamination?

I use filters on steel tanks, especially the slightly rusty Airhead tanks I have not re-lined. Our other bikes with plastic tanks have been trouble free(knock-knock)...other than the FPC failure on the GSA. I sold my '05 RT before it had issues...if it ever did. The water always pooled in the well.

My bro-in-law's R12R made it 140K w/out replacing filter. Lucky?

Even on third world trips...if the water is in the bottom of tank/barrel/ rusty 5 gallon jug and one is careful ...no problemo it seems. At least it is most likely non-ethanol and maybe even leaded?

My boat filter plugged once and had a built in Alum tank the boat was built around:banghead...luckily I had a spare spin-on and we headed back in before # 2 clogged. That was a headache to clean out! Coastal fuel after a hurricane had been in area about four months prior flooding the island...I guess I got the bottom of tank that day and changed my seaside fueling method with carry on fuel from inland from that point on.

Anyways...back to OP...it can be done if you want one.

Filter not necessary

I don't personally see the need. My '06 RT has just under 102K miles and never once have had any fuel system issues other than the standard leak around threaded fitting on top of fuel pump assembly. Fel-Pro No. 2 fixed that about 50K miles ago. I agree that an external filter doesn't do much good, the pump has already been exposed.

Good riding!

Back