• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New "I" pad / phones

Interesting skewer of America. In the recent iPad announcement there were over 20 countries listed in the immediate roll out zone and they had a special shout out to China. This isn't American consumerism run amok. It is a world wide trend.

The modern smart phone has replaced the phone, pager, GPS, mp3 player, camera, note book, FM radio, in many cases computer, and so much more. The device is $500 of replace nearly $10K of equipment. Often for a subsidized price. The modern phablet can replace most technology in your life, and since the advent of cloud storage and ubiquitous connectivity you get along quite well. I have... get this... 16TB of cloud based storage at my house. That's not a mistake or typo. I run my own cloud services and they are legion. But it makes my life easier to have things digitized.

My nearing 80 year old dad has an iPhone. I was going to say he isn't much a princess texting or a self obsessed bazillionaire wanting the latest and greatest. But, I'll tease him later about that. His phone isn't the newest (iPhone 3GS) but the new phones means he'll move up to a 4S as he doesn't like the size of the 5. My nearing 80 year old mom had an iPad but hated it. She went back to using a Kindle Paperwhite. It is very basic. Her phone is an OLD Samsung flip phone. She doesn't want one but she'll likely get a new iPhone this year. I provide and manage all their tech and I make sure what they need and want as needs are met. It isn't easy.

The fact is that much of this is different strokes for different folks. I ride one brand and kind of motorcycle because I like it. I don't justify it. When somebody says I'm a self absorbed slob of a BMW jerkophile for merely owning a teutonic metal mayhem motorcycle I grin, flip them off, and ride away happy. Pretty much the same thing with tech. I own technology because it makes my life easier, better, more fun, and generally more enjoyable. Pretty much the same reason I ride motorcycles.

My post / question was not meant to 'skewer' anyone. And being a 'techno-caveman' I admit to not knowing the phenomenon was world wide. It just amazes me that people will line up @ midnight and camp in cold weather to acquire the latest phone. tablet, whatever, when the old one they already have is less than one year old??

And I certainly was not besmirching your parents & or anyone like them. They raised a son whom it appears looks after them. They have my respect right there....

Come to Canada and buy an iPhone outright from Apple that is unlocked and works on any networks (GSM or CDMA based - now both types of networks are updated to and use SIM, or similar, cards).

My wife and I both have unlocked 4s iPhones and swap sim cards when we go to other countries, i.e. USA or Germany for instance. Then we get a pay as you go SIM card for that country. Waaaaaaaaay cheaper cell service doing that.

I am off-contract and can unlock my AT&T iPhone4S which will allow me to use sim cards from other carriers in other countries but not sim cards from other US carriers. That may be why you're able to use sim cards in the US that I can't. Apparently, even unlocked, the original carrier controls what networks the phone can use.

I don't know. My last few years working I learned if I needed to get in touch with an off duty staff under the age or 30, don't call, don't email, just text and I would get a response within minutes.

I work in a cubicle farm and nearly daily, someone twice my age blasts around a corner with their eyes glued to their cell phone. Doing my best Cirque de Soleil impression, I contort my body around/under/over them as to not collide.

It just amazes me that people will line up @ midnight and camp in cold weather to acquire the latest phone. tablet, whatever, when the old one they already have is less than one year old??

Or concert tickets, or sporting event tickets, or at the doors of a big box store the Friday after Thansgiving to buy a Barbie doll, a TV set, or whatever else somebody has convinced folks they have to have and have right now. Every year we read about a few fist fights or worse over some trinket or toy.

And we get on waiting lists for new model motorcycles that soon sit unsold, and some even discounted on showroom floors. But we have to be first.

The silliness of our impatience has little to do with telephone technology, and much to do with measuring the worth of oneself by the quantity or newness of stuff one has. I don't wish to play, thank you!

The next time anybody finds themself in such a line they should go find a mirror, take a hard look, and go home.

Or concert tickets, or sporting event tickets, or at the doors of a big box store the Friday after Thansgiving to buy a Barbie doll, a TV set, or whatever else somebody has convinced folks they have to have and have right now. Every year we read about a few fist fights or worse over some trinket or toy.

And we get on waiting lists for new model motorcycles that soon sit unsold, and some even discounted on showroom floors. But we have to be first.

The silliness of our impatience has little to do with telephone technology, and much to do with measuring the worth of oneself by the quantity or newness of stuff one has. I don't wish to play, thank you!

The next time anybody finds themself in such a line they should go find a mirror, take a hard look, and go home.

I forgot all about the 'store' incidents .

Good point and very well stated!

P.S....heard that this year the stores are opening Thanksgiving Day [evening] !! As opposed to just after midnight. It is getting way outta hand. :scratch

But if someone enjoys it? feels the need to do it ?.....so be it.

Having the most fun with stuff that is decades old, is the good life. Gardening comes to mind. Old bikes that can zoom past eighty in forth while gathering steam, and, oh yah, turning on old cell phone with no messages. Only tappatalk I had was with my son, with my shoe on the floor, while delivering a needed lecture. Taken from the old fable of the fox and the grapes, if I remember correctly.

My iPhone 4S has all my photos, all my music, my calendar (and, hence my schedule in retirement - which is so much busier than simply going to the office daily) and the occasional connection to the internet. Bluetooth to my car, etc. That, plus email and text messages is all I need. I will eventually move up. No pressure felt to do so. Got to admit, though, the technology is pretty neat, and keeps getting neater!

Hugh

The silliness of our impatience has little to do with telephone technology, and much to do with measuring the worth of oneself by the quantity or newness of stuff one has. I don't wish to play, thank you.

This statement is a generalization, and as with all generalizations, is true only some of the time.

The fist fights etc that Paul describes are truly stupid or insane, IMO.

However, some folks love technology and the advances, however incremental, they bring to their lives. Worthless changes to some, priceless to others.

Same as bike choices. I am not a fan of cruiser style sitting and don't understand why anyone would ride that style of bike, and it totally baffles me why anyone would get on a bike without ATGATT, even if it is a ride around the block. Does that make me an idiot, worthless or other? Or just different from you?

Oooh and we slowly descend into argument.
Just like at home, right?
Love the technology but don't live for it.
I understand iOS7 is wreaking wireless havoc for some.
Oh dear.
And so it goes . . . .

Texting is good for the economy as it's created a whole new industry....... Reporting what happens to those while texting-

I don't see much need for arguing about the how's and why's.....it's a tool or a dilemma.

i'm currently running 2 iphones
OM

Not a technogeek, but do love technology. I absolutely love the texting that goes on between myself and my son ( who lives in Southlake, in the DFW area) during sporting events throughout the year. Not possible on the phone, unless you stay on the line for hours. But so much fun, even when he is sitting in TCU's stadium at a game. Never thought I would even use it. Adaptation is the spice of life, I guess. Or if I am at a golf tournament (I am a volunteer USGA golf rules official) where I can silently but efficiently communicate with my wife or friends while quietly observing play. Haven't gotten into FaceTime yet. Maybe that is next? Do love technology, but feel no pressure to have the latest gadget. YMMV.

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh
I do a few FB & BB games each year in person & it intrigues me that people are apparently more entertained by their little screens than the game which cost a bunch to attend. They are all around me & miss much of the action? Why go?-please don't answer.
Same notion for vehicles these days-when you read consumer reviews its hard to tell what they like the most,the car,truck or bike itself, or the gizmos even more than the machine? Reviews tend heavily toward the gizmos/tech stuff.

Loads of unread emails

Some people found that they had hundreds or even thousands of unread emails after updating to iOS 7. This problem seems to be particularly common for Gmail users, but it can occur with other email accounts.

Potential solutions:

Go into your email account on your computer and select all your emails then choose Mark as Read. Now go back to your iPhone and the count should be drastically reduced. It may be quicker to select all, choose Mark as Unread and then choose select all again and click Mark as Read.

You can also select Edit > Mark All > Mark as Read on your iPhone, but for it to work, you?ll need to download all your emails to the iPhone first, which can take a long time.

Back