• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

"S" fairing

Has anyone ever put an Airhead -"S" fairing on an Oilhead ? Just curious as what it might look like ? and how difficult it would be ? Sometime back I 'heard' of a guy installing an Airhead "RS" fairing on a naked Roadster, but never heard anymore about it, or have seen any pictures.

Sure sign winter is coming....my mind starts to wonder....:brow

What Oilhead model?
The "S" fairing has plenty of look-alikes as it is more or less a typical cafe fairing of that time. You may find one that you can easily adopt to your oilhead. An original S fairing will be rather expensive to come by as those who have them, think they have a layer of precious metal in between the fiberglass outer and inner. The biggest problem is always the mounting and the headlight. The two basic cafe fairings are "frame mount" ( don't turn with the handlebars) and "handlebar mount" (move with the steering). You need to decide what your preference is and then look for that.

What Oilhead model?
The "S" fairing has plenty of look-alikes as it is more or less a typical cafe fairing of that time. You may find one that you can easily adopt to your oilhead. An original S fairing will be rather expensive to come by as those who have them, think they have a layer of precious metal in between the fiberglass outer and inner. The biggest problem is always the mounting and the headlight. The two basic cafe fairings are "frame mount" ( don't turn with the handlebars) and "handlebar mount" (move with the steering). You need to decide what your preference is and then look for that.

I understand, have done several similar projects. Just not this particular match. And no I would not 'cobble' up an original . As you noted, too many look-a-likes out there. I was just wondering if anyone out there had [actually] done it? Or! seen one that had been done?

The "S" fairing goes around the headlight, where as the "RS" replaces it. I'm sure it could be worked out & look nice with either. Myself, more interested in just the "S" . Never know I might get antcy this winter....:dunno

Recall seeing somewhere (R1150R.net perhaps?) an updated version of an S based on an 1150R. Even had a replica sort of black/silver smoked paint job. IMHO, it was a great sort of modern tribute bike.:whistle

Cheers! Bill J

Made a slight edit to your statement. :D

I wasn't gonna go there. To each his own, that sort of thing ya know... but yeah, I hear ya. I have to admit my first reaction was dismay. But then I took a closer look at the effort that went into it. That's a lot of work there for sure.

Airtech finally installed

Here is the picture as promised. Install was really not a big deal. Total outlay for mounting materials outside of what came in the box was about 4 bucks. It's secure and the perfect height to put the wind right over the shoulders. Airtech makes a real quality product.

Attachments

• airtech.1.jpg
    airtech.1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for the photos. I have a OEM touring shield , painted to match on the lower inside...it looks nice but after seeing yours....I may make a change. You say the wind blast id OK ? for you ?

I started with the touring shield. I'm 6'1" and with the touring shield the wind hit right in the face. The new fairing puts the air around my neck, which I prefer. It is a little louder, but I have gotten into the habit of ear plugs. When you mock up the airtech, see if you like it. If it doesn't work, you could easily sell it on this site and likely break even, as you will have already drilled all necessary holes, etc. I'll bet you like it. :thumb

That's funny that you painted the back of the touring shield. I thought about doing the same thing when I first bought the bike.

I started with the touring shield. I'm 6'1" and with the touring shield the wind hit right in the face. The new fairing puts the air around my neck, which I prefer. It is a little louder, but I have gotten into the habit of ear plugs. When you mock up the airtech, see if you like it. If it doesn't work, you could easily sell it on this site and likely break even, as you will have already drilled all necessary holes, etc. I'll bet you like it. :thumb

That's funny that you painted the back of the touring shield. I thought about doing the same thing when I first bought the bike.

I'm 6'1" as well...should work about the same.I'm sitting on a Sargent seat, which I think is just a scosch lower? .HUMMMMM! I have some thinkin' to do.

Painting the inside of the shield, gives it [the motorcycle] {IMO} a color balance...sort of like a fairing does...while not being as large, and blocking too much air.

Back