• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

AZ Beemers #89 rides to Mulege, Baja California Sur, Mexico

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Oh Mexico, it is so damn groovy I just want to ride there! *Whenever I point the front wheel of mi Motocicleta south to Mexico I cannot get the James Taylor song "Oh Mexico" out of my mind. *Here are my photos of good times spent en Baja California Norte y Sur with My Norte Americano riding friends. *Mas Caminos y Mas Amigos! *Suerte! *Arriba!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55RlFLWIOU

"Oh, Mexico
Way down here you need a reason to move
Feel a fool running your stateside games
Lose your load, leave your mind behind, baby james

It sounds so simple I just got to go
The suns so hot I forgot to go home
Guess I'll have to go now

Americano got the sleepy eye
But his bodys still shaking like a live wire
Sleepy Senorita with the eyes on fire

Oh, Mexico
It sounds so sweet with the sun sinking low
Moons so bright like to light up the night
Make everything all right

Babys hungry and the moneys all gone
The folks back home dont want to talk on the phone
She gets a long letter, sends back a postcard; times are hard

Oh, down in Mexico
I never really been so I dont really know
Oh, mexico
I guess Ill have to go

Oh, Mexico
I never really been but Id sure like to go
Oh, mexico
I guess I'll have to go now"

Joe, Chuy, Melanie, Brian and Todd in front of the Gustave Eiffel Iglesia (Church) in Santa Rosalia. *Eiffel sent dozens of these prefabricated structures to Catholic parishes around the World.

Lots of liquor was consumed around the pool at the Playa Frambes Lighthouse Resort.

The view from the Lighthouse itself, looking south down Bahia Concepcion!

Joe and Todd checking out the cliffside nests of the Frigate birds on La Princesa Island, once airborne these birds cannot touch down on water: They stay aloft for many weeks.

Staying at Playa Frambes gave us unlimited use of this Panga (skiff), we had it out on the water constantly.

Bob Frambes, The Resort Owner, is standing in this photo; those are his guard and attack Dachshunds!

Loreto is the largest city between Ensenada and La Paz on the Baja Peninsula, it is truly a "Pueblo Majico": One of my favorite villages in all of Mexico!

We ate great in Mexico, no one makes a better Torta (sandwich) than the Mexicans, best sandwiches ever South of the Border!

The Boojum Tree Forest of Central Baja in the Vizcaino Desierto (Desert) around the oasis village of Catavina.

AZ Beemers MOA Club #89 Baja Report/Photos from Brian "El Jefe" Boles":

Here's pix of the latest AZ Beemers Baja Trip.* The crew consisted of 2 couples, myself and Melanie and Donna and Don.* To solo riders, Todd and Joe were along also.
After the normal border paperwork, we were on our way south.* *The first night was in Ensenada.* In the morning, we continued on towards* Bahia de Los Angeles.

This is our first gas stop south of Ensenada.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

We stopped for lunch at some roadside stands.* Melanie and I went for cheeseburgers while the rest went for seafood.

IMG_0004.jpg

The seafood stand guy is a character.* El Capitan posed for some pix with us.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Food and music.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

After crossing the mountains, we turned towards Bahia de LA.* The roads in Mexico can be tough, especially when tanked up on alcohol.* That's the story here.
The pickup drifted to the right, overcorrected to the left, then spun to the right, flipping off of the road.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

The driver is still in the truck, with some broken ribs.

IMG_0011.jpg

But he fared much better than this lady, who was thrown from the truck and is likely paralized.* No seatbelts in use.

IMG_0012.jpg

Turns out Todd is a medical professional, and was able to help out some until the ambulance arrived.

IMG_0013.jpg

We spent the night at Gigi's hotel in Bahia de LA.* The room price came with a very good dinner and breakfast included.
In the morning, we head south for the last leg of the trip.
During a gas stop in San Ignacio, we met these cute fellas.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

And ate lunch here.

IMG_0016.jpg

Don and Donna and one of those gay Yamaha's on the road to Mulege.

IMG_0017.jpg

We stopped in Santa Rosalia for some ice cream and to view the Eifel church.

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Last edited:

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

AZ Beemers MOA Club #89 Baja Ride Report/Pics from Brian "El Jefe" Boles:

About 10 miles south of Mulege, we get to the turnoff for the Playa Frambes resort.* It's a 2 mile dirt road to the resort.* Bob Frambes, the owner assures us before we left that the dirt road is easy.
Yea, easy unless you are 2-up on a big touring bike!* We all made it to the resort, but some "exciting" moments were had, including some wild K1600GTL S-turns.

The centerpiece of the Playa Frambes resort is the lighthouse room.* Here's some shots from the top of the lighthouse.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Since we didn't want to ride the dirt road again, we used a local taxi van for the next 3 days to get around.* We went into Mulege for some supplies (beer, vodka)!

IMG_0029.jpg

One of the cool things about Playa Frambes is that they have a* boat for use by the guests.* The Sea of Cortez around Mulege and Loreto is gorgeous, with azure blue water and many rugged volcanic islands.
Here we are at a nice private beach on one of the islands.

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, Melanie was poking fun at our daughter about being afraid of sting rays in the ocean.* So, in a form a karma payback, Melanie stepped on a sting ray who returned the favor and poked her in the bottom of her foot.
So, for the next 5 or so hours, someone was in a ****load of pain.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

Finally, the castaways headed back to civilization.

IMG_0041.jpg

Last edited:

Melanie is putting on a brave face here, but inside she's screaming from sting ray pain.* The brave face will last a few more minutes.* Then, it will just be screaming and crying.

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

AZ Beemers MOA Club #89 Ride Report/Photos from Brian "El Jefe" Boles:

Some shots on the way back of the beaches and homes along the highway.

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Shots of the little islands out in the bay.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

A pelican hangout.

IMG_0055.jpg

Pelican dive bombing.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Last edited:

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

A real lighthouse.

IMG_0064.jpg

All the birds hanging out on the top of cactus.* I didn't say saguaro, because they aren't exactly the same plant we have here in AZ.

IMG_0065.jpg

The resort in sight.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Bob and Sue Frambes, the owners of the resort come out to help beach the boat.

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

On our last day at the resort, we hired the van taxi guy to take us the hour and half drive to Loreto.

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Loreto is a pretty tourist beach town.* It has an airport with flights to the US, so it is accessable like Cabo, but much smaller and quieter.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Loreto's church.* Gotta love those Mexican churches.

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

Maybe this is what actually bit Melanie's foot !

IMG_0082.jpg

Blowfish.

IMG_0083.jpg

One last round in Loreto, tomorrow we head back.

IMG_0084.jpg

On the way back, we stayed in Catavina.* Here's the hotel room.

IMG_0085.jpg

NEMA?* We don't need no steekin NEMA !* *(google it)

IMG_0086.jpg

After Catavina, we rode on to Ensenada for our last night in Mexico.* We cut the line at Tecate, and got across the border relatively quickly.

Summary -

Great trip with great weather.* The roads were a little tougher this time, because there was a lot of damage from flooding during the summer.*
All bikes (K1600GTL, FJR, R1100GS, new Harley wet head) performed flawlessly.* My K16 lost a center stand spring on a dirt construction section when a rock hit it.* I also picked up a metal staple from a fruit crate just outside of Ensenada, but the leak was slow enough to ride home on.
Playa Frambes was very nice, but not really big motorcycle friendly.
The scenery in the Baja is friggin awesome.* I didn't take a lot of scenery shots, see the January trip report for that.
The beaurocratic bull**** was minimal this trip.* Even the Mexican army checkpoints were easy.* We think they weren't getting paid because of the government shutdown.* (Yes, the US pays for those checkpoints).
The roads are not to be taken lightly.* They are narrow, twisty and often in dis-repair.* We came across 4 single car auto accident scenes on this trip.* You have to have your game on when riding these roads.
Baja is way fun when you go with good friends.
I wish I didn't have to have an itenerary, I'd love to retire and just wander the Baja for a few months.

Hola y Abroazos! Don and Brian,

Thanks for posting a great trip report. Good to see your smiley faces sharing Mexico with friends.

Suerte,
Pancho

Hola y Abroazos! Don and Brian,

Thanks for posting a great trip report. Good to see your smiley faces sharing Mexico with friends.

Suerte,
Pancho

Saludos Frank, Que tal mi Amigo!?! Mi Compadre Brian and Papa Chuy Viejo ride Mexico a lot, we have ridden thousands of miles South of the Border with Brian's Wife Melanie and my Girlfriend Donna; plus, we have gone on many adventure treks offroad with our BMW GS dirt bikes. One of the best dirt donk runs we have ever made was with Pancho as our Tour Guide with Moto Discovery Tours riding to Real de Catorce in Central Mexico, Frank showed us an incredible time and we rode some amazing dirt trails; still always in my memory bank, Brian and I still reminisce about that incredible vacation. Senor, if you are ever in Phoenix: Mi Casa es su Casa y mi Motos es su Motos ese!

Recuerdos,
El Jefe Boles y Papa Chuy Viejo

http://www.motodiscovery.com

Last edited:
One last pix of Brian and Melanie from the Mulege trip, on the way home on CA-94 aboard their BMW K1600GTL.

49245717-DSC_1214_exposure.jpg

One last photo from the Mulege trip of Don and Donna on our magnificent Yamaha FJR1300 (world's best motorcycle!), on the way home on CA-94.

Back