• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

number 8 fuel strip failed - '08 R1200R

Davesbmw

Number eight
I have already listed two bikes with multiple fuel strip failures,here is another one.
We have had this 2008 R1200R for a few years and up until two and one half years ago we have replaced 7 seven strips on it. six of these in one year.

We were on a short ride today and as leaving home the bike's engine quit running, just shut off and forced my wife to pull off and restart it.
She stated that the fuel gauge started going nut's again and showed low fuel but also showed 200 miles remaining on mileage calculator.

We have lots of experience with strip failures but none that caused the engine to cut off and quit running.
It started right up and ran fine the rest of the trip but the strip is dead once again.
Yes just after the two year warranty expired.

Has anyone had this occur to them when their strip failed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dave - re: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I'm adding the year/model to your thread title.

You're one fuel strip ahead of me.. as far as failure causing a lack of running - nope, haven't heard this as being related to the fuel strip (unless the person was out of fuel.) It's possible that the connector to the fuel pump assembly (which carries both the pump and the fuel strip wiring) might be wonky somehow. I would ask the dealer to appeal to BMW for help with the 8th strip - since your bike has a history of them failing.

Most of us with the failing strips tend to rely on the odometer for knowing when we're getting low. If I reach 200 miles on a tank, I don't care what the fuel gauge says - I start looking for fuel. That hasn't failed me yet (my bike normally gets 45-55MPG, and with over 5 gallons fuel capacity - actually about 5.7 gallons - I'm pretty safe filling up at the 200 mile mark.) If I know I'm getting the higher end of the MPG range, I may go 240 miles or so (the MPG readout on the OBC is independent of the fuel strip - and from my calculations when I fill up, is actually pretty accurate.)

Thanks forgot to add that in the title

Hi Dave - re: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I'm adding the year/model to your thread title.

You're one fuel strip ahead of me.. as far as failure causing a lack of running - nope, haven't heard this as being related to the fuel strip (unless the person was out of fuel.) It's possible that the connector to the fuel pump assembly (which carries both the pump and the fuel strip wiring) might be wonky somehow. I would ask the dealer to appeal to BMW for help with the 8th strip - since your bike has a history of them failing.

Most of us with the failing strips tend to rely on the odometer for knowing when we're getting low. If I reach 200 miles on a tank, I don't care what the fuel gauge says - I start looking for fuel. That hasn't failed me yet (my bike normally gets 45-55MPG, and with over 5 gallons fuel capacity - actually about 5.7 gallons - I'm pretty safe filling up at the 200 mile mark.) If I know I'm getting the higher end of the MPG range, I may go 240 miles or so (the MPG readout on the OBC is independent of the fuel strip - and from my calculations when I fill up, is actually pretty accurate.)

We also have learned to rely on mileage and not the gauge, as you know they have either failed or they are about to.
This one was just weird how it caused the engine to cut out.
The dealer has had this bike apart so many times I wonder if the electrical connections to the pump are worn out?
Not out of fuel only took 1.5 gallons to fill it up
Thanks
Dave

I've read so many comments about "fuel strip failure" that I have to wonder why BMW ever went to them. My first BMW (1987 K75) only had a "low fuel" dash light - an OK if not great system. When it came on and stayed on in level riding, I knew I needed fuel within the next 50 miles or so. I too went with the trip odometer method since my MPG was quite consistent. My current 1992 K100RS has both the "low fuel" light and (gasp!) an accurate gas gauge. On a recent trip the bike developed a problem which had it frequently running on only three of its four cylinders. Fuel consumption DOUBLED. At least, the accurate gas gauge didn't let me compound the problem by running out of gas!

08 R12R here with no fuel strip (or other) issues. Your story worries me. I think that were I to have a failure I would not have it fixed until it is evident that BMW has a real solution to the problem.

Hmm

Sorry to armchair quarterback here but maybe it isn't the strip. Maybe it is something that gets reset or "massaged" when you disassemble everything to replace a strip.

Number eight
I have already listed two bikes with multiple fuel strip failures,here is another one.
We have had this 2008 R1200R for a few years and up until two and one half years ago we have replaced 7 seven strips on it. six of these in one year.

We were on a short ride today and as leaving home the bike's engine quit running, just shut off and forced my wife to pull off and restart it.
She stated that the fuel gauge started going nut's again and showed low fuel but also showed 200 miles remaining on mileage calculator.

We have lots of experience with strip failures but none that caused the engine to cut off and quit running.
It started right up and ran fine the rest of the trip but the strip is dead once again.
Yes just after the two year warranty expired.

Has anyone had this occur to them when their strip failed?

Per BMW, there is no problem with the fuel strip (or any other parts, for that matter).

Must be something you're doing wrong. :dance

PS: FYI, that was sarcasm. Humor and logic have poor track records on the Forum - thought I'd take this out for a spin!

Per BMW, there is no problem with the fuel strip (or any other parts, for that matter).

PS: FYI, that was sarcasm. Humor and logic have poor track records on the Forum - thought I'd take this out for a spin!

Unfortunately, your sarcasm is sometimes what a dealer believes is the truth.

Try the sympathy approach- eight dead ones might actually be the record!

Or maybe the blackmail approach- you could convince Guiness to make a new category for their record book and claim the record.

Either way, glad its not me- for whatever luck of the draw I've got, both BMWs with strips still have the original working...

Did not want to be a record holder

Try the sympathy approach- eight dead ones might actually be the record!

Or maybe the blackmail approach- you could convince Guiness to make a new category for their record book and claim the record.

Either way, glad its not me- for whatever luck of the draw I've got, both BMWs with strips still have the original working...

I just wish BMW would recognize this issue and come up with a working fuel gauge of any kind.
The trouble in doing nothing is that you have that stupid low fuel light on all the time.
Go back to the low level light that worked great and still does on the older bikes or come up with a retrofit using the new float system that they have installed on the newer ones.
It is sad that so many of us have this issue and no fix.

Dave

Bmw says no

Kevin
If it weren't so frustrating it would be comical.

Took it to the dealer after contacting BMW motorad USA for a diagnostic to confirm it was a bad fuel strip.

When I contacted Customer Service at BMW USA to let them know the dealer had diagnose it as a faulty strip. The gal I spoke with said After reviewing your service and warranty history it appears BMW has replaced your fuel strip multiple times under warranty and will not be able to do so again since the strip 2 year warranty expired 3 months prior.
You cannot expect BMW to replace your strips free forever can you?
After that she asked very nicely if there were anything else they could help with,I said yes they could produce a strip that works and last more than two years.
She stated that if this a problem with a lot of bikes they probably have someone working on it.

You just have to laugh

Happy riding
Dave

Kevin

Took it to the dealer after contacting BMW motorad USA for a diagnostic to confirm it was a bad fuel strip.

When I contacted Customer Service at BMW USA to let them know the dealer had diagnose it as a faulty strip. The gal I spoke with said After reviewing your service and warranty history it appears BMW has replaced your fuel strip multiple times under warranty and will not be able to do so again since the strip 2 year warranty expired 3 months prior.
After that she asked very nicely if there were anything else they could help with,I said yes they could produce a strip that works and last more than two years.
She stated that if this a problem with a lot of bikes they probably have someone working on it.

You just have to laugh

Happy riding
Dave

OMG That is too funny. What can ya say to a response like that one from BMW:laugh

Guys,
Understand that in euro companies (and many American ones) for which I know the organization setup, customer service reports to marketing and is merely a way to gather marketing info- the purpose of which is only to sell more product. Expecting intelligence from such a group is a waste of time and your effort. They can only make you happy if it costs nothing and needs no approval from anyone else.

If a customer service group is going to be of any real use for customer problems, it needs to be part of operations- the part of the company that makes and delivers the product and parts- and needs to own a budget it controls for dealing with them. While ops guys don't get too excited about field problems, they get annoyed about 2 things for sure- anything that costs too much wasted $ and anything that causes glitches in getting product ready for shipment.

BMW is making so much money off these strips they surely don't give a hoot....

BMW paid for # 8

The service manager sent a request for BMW to pay for the strip and the local rep approved it.
Had it replaced yesterday covered under warranty.
Thanks Wayne, service manager at Northern Colorado Euro.
Well we are good for another two years hope it last this time.
Happy riding
Dave

anyone looking for a clean low mile R1200R with a new strip and a two year warranty?

I just wish BMW would recognize this issue and come up with a working fuel gauge of any kind.
The trouble in doing nothing is that you have that stupid low fuel light on all the time.
Go back to the low level light that worked great and still does on the older bikes or come up with a retrofit using the new float system that they have installed on the newer ones.
It is sad that so many of us have this issue and no fix.

Dave

Eilenberger's Axiom

I'm betting BMW's solution will be some sort of clamp on ring, with a special tool to install it (probably an Oetker type design) allowing the dealer 30 minutes labor time to do the job (regardless of bike model..)

And I'm sure based on BMW's usual reactions to these sort of things:

1. What problem?
2. Oh, that problem. First we've heard of it.
3. You caused it
4. Your environment caused it (fuel properties usually)
5. We have no problem

Is at step #4 now... so I'm certain they've never heard of the problem in Europe.. (said with tongue firmly in cheek..) It's caused by bad US karma.

Kevin

You just have to laugh

Happy riding
Dave

I would have asked her if she could give me directions to the nearest Kawasaki dealer. :lurk:fart

Back