• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

which remote-control heat-troller to get?

ezwicky

hi all,

yesterday i got a gerbing jacket liner and gloves, also the gerbing "portable" heat-troller.

i find the wires distracting and annoying, and should have done my homework better to see that *wireless* remote options were available.

revzilla (where i bought the stuff) carries powerlet and first-gear wireless remote heat trollers, and i know that warm-n-safe also makes one. i would prefer to do an exchange with revzilla for one of the ones they carry but could return for refund and go with warm-n-safe if there were a really compelling argument to do that. the revzilla showroom is about 30 minutes from my current location, btw, so a ride up there is no big deal.

any clear winners or losers among the three wireless controllers mentioned: first-gear, powerlet, warm-n-safe ?

thanks in advance,

-eric

Last edited:
Check with Revzilla or Mike at Warm N Safe, but if my memory hasn't failed me I think the First Gear controller is made by Warm N Safe.

You can go VERY cheap with a 12V 8A LED controller from eBay. $3 or $4 shipped. I am using a couple of them. Best to disassemble, waterproof with good 3M electrical tape and mount the control somewhere easy to reach.

10381982453_50f8f8f8eb.jpg

Check with Revzilla or Mike at Warm N Safe, but if my memory hasn't failed me I think the First Gear controller is made by Warm N Safe.

thanks paul, i have been doing some searches this morning and i did find that 1st-gear is made by warm & safe.

You can go VERY cheap with a 12V 8A LED controller from eBay. $3 or $4 shipped. I am using a couple of them. Best to disassemble, waterproof with good 3M electrical tape and mount the control somewhere easy to reach.

thanks tom, but i am looking for a wireless remote.

I don't understand the attraction. The "wireless" part is only the controller itself; the garment draws a lot of current and must connect using actual wires.

What I did to reduce the clutter was hardwire the controller and mount it on the bike. It's always there, right within reach. If I want to plug in the liner, I do so, using a socket on the bodywork next to my left knee. The liner's cord is stored in the liner's pocket; if I have the liner with me, I don't have to go looking for the cord. Everything else is already mounted (and stays) on the bike.

Last edited:
I don't understand the attraction. The "wireless" part is only the controller itself; the garment draws a lot of current and must connect using actual wires.

i have the dual-controller with three wires hanging off of it. if i set it for the heat i want, then shove it into my jacket side pocket, the knobs move away from where i set them, and i still have all those wires dangling off my hip.

with a wireless controller, i can store the receiver and attendant wires in my liner pocket and have the controller out where i can reach it, with no wires hanging all over the place. the battery harness plug is just poking out from behind the battery side cover, so all that will show is the one connection from that plug to the receiver.

i ride a naked airhead and i don't want a whole lot of unsightly appurtenances and loose wires.

I had the wireless controller and quit using it. The battery life was terrible. I was needing to change the battery about once a month in the winter. If the controller had a slide open cover for the battery it wouldn't have been bad. But the thing has 3 teeny tiny phillip screws. If you didn't find a screwdriver to fit before hand and pack it with you, then your not going to have something that small in your tool kit. It became such a hassle not knowing when the battery was going to go dead that I threw the thing in a drawer and doubt if I will ever use it again.

The mounted controller on the bike is always there and it always works.

But the thing has 3 teeny tiny phillip screws. If you didn't find a screwdriver to fit before hand and pack it with you, then your not going to have something that small in your tool kit.

Ah, I guess you don't wear eye glasses like some of us. I have a tiny screwdriver in my tool kit. Glasses with duct tape or bandaids look so dorky. :)

That is what I use, to control my $10 heated vest. Made from a brand new fleece vest bought for $2.50 from the Salvation army store, some seat heater grids from the seats of a junk Saab, and $6 for some iron on adhesive used to hem dresses. I cut my controller down to make it thinner, and cut the flanges off, to make it pretty small.

I have the controller mounted on the dash and a SAE plug comes out just in front of the seat. Sor far I have just used a liner so only one wire.

What I did to reduce the clutter was hardwire the controller and mount it on the bike. It's always there, right within reach. If I want to plug in the liner, I do so, using a socket on the bodywork next to my left knee. The liner's cord is stored in the liner's pocket; if I have the liner with me, I don't have to go looking for the cord. Everything else is already mounted (and stays) on the bike.

The attraction(s), to me, are:
  • The controller can live wherever is convenient -- up front velcro'ed to the dash/accessory shelf, or in your pocket, etc. It's not tied to the confluence of the rest of the wires.
  • Unlike a panel-mount, it's easily transported to a different bike. All you need is a power plug for your garment(s).
  • The controller can remain accessible while minimizing the number of wires entering/exiting your apparel. A panel-mounted dual controller would require two wires entering your gear (and two connections to the bike). An accessible clothes-mounted dual controller would require three (one connected to the bike). A wireless dual controller requires only one wire, one connection. The rest stays fixed in place inside your gear.

The attraction for me is that I have four motorcycles. I did not want to buy 4 2-zone controllers. I change the AAA batteries in my Warm-n-Safe controller once per year. If I had only one motorcycle, I would agree.

8A at 12V is 96W. Jacket liners are generally around 90W. Isn't that a little close for comfort?

Back