• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"Repair" plug power for GPS- '05 R1200RT

riderneil

Rider Neil
I cannot get power to the gps through the cradle mount for the Garmin 660 I am installing on my 2005 R1200RT. I am using the BMW "repair" plug and, while I am getting power there, it doesn't show power to any of the pins on the cradle when tested. Any suggestions?

I think I've seen where a hook-up of this method didn't go well due to a forgotten ground wire- don't know if this is your case. I'm more of a fan of the direct wire approach. This is almost a "Gear" kind of question so if it doesn't get you a better response, I'll move it for you. I'll fix your title so it will be a bit easier for a member scanning through to give you some help.
Good luck, Gary

If you have 12V power to the plug and your GPS is wired power and ground, could be a bad cradle. How old is the cradle for the GPS? I have an 05 R1200RT also and I run my power for the 660 from the parking light bulb.

Just a thought, as I don't have one of these cradles - but is it supposed to have a hot pin when there's no unit attached? Since the pins are exposed to the weather, it'd make sense for them to be disconnected until mated to a GPS, presumably completing the water-resistant seal.

Thanks for you input. I think I found the problem but do not know why what I did appears to have created the problem.

I clipped off the in-line fuse on the original and replacement harness which Garmin sent me because they should not be necessary with the Canbus system. At a club meeting someone mentioned that the GPS should come on when the power comes on even though the GPS is not turned on. Garmin, by mistake, sent me another replacement harness. On receipt, I put the GPS in the cradle and touched the battery terminals....it came on!!!! Next I soldered the removed in-line fuses back on the other two harnesses, and, when touched to the battery, they both came on.

I do not know why the removal of the in-line fuse should matter, but everything seems to be OK now and I think I now have two good back-up harnesses.

Back