• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Has anyone used Bavarian Motor Cars for (Military) European delivery?

maxmach

I am deployed and looking to buy a new GSA in Germany through Bavarian Motor Cars and ride it a while before shipping it back to the States. Has anyone gone through this experience? Any hints or advice?
Thank You!
Jethro:)

Where are you in Germany? I am in Kaiserslautern, I will be using the BMW motorrad dealer here,(Dexheimer) they are military sales, basically, you get an approved loan through who ever you want, I found service credit union to be the lowest at 3.9%. Once you get your approval you take the approval letter to the dealer to order your bike. You get to pick and choose what package you would like, but the GSA packages will not be available till November the regular GS are available. Once you build your bike to what you want..wait 4-8 weeks until it arrives. that is pretty much it. I do not know about going through auto sales but it should be the same. I hope this helps, I will be ordering mine in Feb.

Deployed

Thanks, Phil... At least you have heard when the GSA packages will be available. I'm not in Germany... I will be stopping there on my way home from Afghanistan. I'm a contractor working on an Air Force project. I'm trying to get customer comments from anyone who may have used Bavarian Motor Cars in Wurzburg. They do both BMW cars and bikes. They have been very nice so far. What type of bike are you ordering?
Jethro:)

I am 95% solid on the R1200GS, not completely sold on the GSA. There are some suspension differences and ofcourse gas tank and other options, but the major I see is the suspension travel for front and rear. I don't plan on going to a motocross track with it but off road is not ruled out. I am looking at about 17000.0- dollars with what I want minus cases and the GPS which I will be getting. For the 2013 GS I was quoted 16800.00 with the cases and GOS it would have brought me to 17800ish. The packages have changed from last year but all the same is still available. Either way in Feb I will be ordering. Buying the bike here is about 2-3000.00 cheaper than in the states. I am surprised you are not coming through Ramstein AFB.

Great bike choice.

Thanks again for the input. I will be coming through pretty close; Frankfurt. If I don't get some input on the dealer in Wurzburg, I might switch over to your dealer. The pricing sounds about the same... Have you received any quotes on shipping or can you include it in household goods? I've been out of the Air Force for a long time, but I think they used to allow that.

Our contract has a provision for us to travel on the airlines... Mil-air is a nightmare when you are low on the totem pole, as you may know.

The Wurzburg folks use IFF for shipping and quoted me $1200 to the East coast with a choice of several ports. I am looking at Charleston, SC because there is a BMW dealer there that can help me get the bike set up if need be after it arrives. There are a lot of port fees that add about $500+ so I'm wondering if it is just a wash in bottom line cost. The appeal is doing some travel in Europe before sending it home... The weather will be crap when I leave here, so that is a factor also.

I love both of these bikes, (GS & GSA), but I am a long-legged and love to have extra fuel on board, so the Adventure is the better choice for me. There is an old saying in flying: "The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire". The tank is there if I want to use it... Nothing says I have to.:)
By the way, my friend, thank you for your service.
Jethro

The motorcycle ships in household goods for me, but I do not know if it will for you as you do not have orders here. I am also not sure if you can get the "military" discount because you do not have orders for Germany. Next time you address this with your POC ask him, If your layover is long enough, you might be able to swing household goods not too sure. I forget If I have to bring a copy of orders when I buy mine. but yes bikes do go in household goods, just not sure in your case. I will check some info here at my dealer and see what he says.

Sadly, without orders in Germany I don't think this will work for you. Friends in A-stan were unable to get the mil/discount.

No household goods for me... Not active duty.

Thanks guys... I'm not allowed shipping for anything as a contractor, but I'm being told I have the pricing program available... Will double check. Jethro

Back