• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Over glove recommendation ?

scoobs

Does anyone have any recommendation on waterproof over gloves that can be used in addition to my regular gloves? I'm still wearing summer riding gloves here in sunny Georgia but they aren't much good in a rainstorm...
I had a great pair of nylon-type overmitts back home many years ago but can't remember the brand name... I've seen "lobster style' mitts advertised by Aerostich and was wondering if anyone had tried them?
Cheers,
Ian

Does anyone have any recommendation on waterproof over gloves that can be used in addition to my regular gloves? I'm still wearing summer riding gloves here in sunny Georgia but they aren't much good in a rainstorm...
I had a great pair of nylon-type overmitts back home many years ago but can't remember the brand name... I've seen "lobster style' mitts advertised by Aerostich and was wondering if anyone had tried them?
Cheers,
Ian

The Stich ones work great. I carry them on tours as a back up in case my H20 proof gloves fail......that has happened to me.

The Stich ones work great. I carry them on tours as a back up in case my H20 proof gloves fail......that has happened to me.

Agree! Those 'stich lobster claw things are great. Lightweight and they squeeze into the smallest niche in your tank bag, and they really are waterproof.

Agree! Those 'stich lobster claw things are great. Lightweight and they squeeze into the smallest niche in your tank bag, and they really are waterproof.

Got them and yes they are good for all day riding in a downpour. However what I also do a couple of times a season is spray waterproofing onto my two pair of riding gloves. When a light rain comes down, there is no need for me to stop and make the switch to the lobster gloves. Some might argue that my hands might not be able to breath with that coating on the gloves, but I've not notice a problem. As well, if my memory (no longer my best friend :banghead) is correct, the instructions for the "lobster gloves" recommended waterproofing the gloves before using them.

I believe those are the triple digit rain gloves. I have them and really like them except for one thing...probably not the glove so much. But I will get water running down the underside of my riding suit arms and past the drawstring of the gauntlet. I've considered putting the gauntlet on the inside of my 'stich riding suit, but somehow that doesn't seem right.

I believe those are the triple digit rain gloves. I have them and really like them except for one thing...probably not the glove so much. But I will get water running down the underside of my riding suit arms and past the drawstring of the gauntlet. I've considered putting the gauntlet on the inside of my 'stich riding suit, but somehow that doesn't seem right.

Similar to the "inside or outside the jacket sleeve" discussion that we have periodically concerning regular gloves. Inside the sleeve results in water being pushed up the jacket sleeve when you ride, outside the sleeve lets water run down the sleeve into the glove when you stop. You pays your money and you takes your chances. I personally am an outside-the-sleeve kinda guy.

Rubber dishwasher gloves. size XL. Apply a little talc or AntiMonkeyButt powder to the inside and they will slip nicely over your leather gloves. I'm a cheap old geezer and these things work very well for cheap money. If you will feel better you can get them from Aerostich for $3.

pete
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got." -Art Buchwald

Some dishwasher gloves have a thin felt lining that may also help in getting them on over riding gloves. XL is probably a good idea, but try out other sizes before it rains to make sure

Rubber dishwasher gloves. size XL. Apply a little talc or AntiMonkeyButt powder to the inside and they will slip nicely over your leather gloves. I'm a cheap old geezer and these things work very well for cheap money. If you will feel better you can get them from Aerostich for $3.

pete
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got." -Art Buchwald

Yes, they do work well for a cheap fix. But I had trouble finding large enough size, so it was not a quick fix for me. I also have used, in a pinch, plastic bags wrapped around my hands, and ... wait for it ... plastic milk jugs appropriately cut and shaped to cover my hands and the grips. Man, I got some weird looks from car drivers around me on that one.

Some dishwasher gloves have a thin felt lining that may also help in getting them on over riding gloves. XL is probably a good idea, but try out other sizes before it rains to make sure

Home Depot, etc., will have some "industrial use" gloves that are similar and possibly a little more robust. You know, you're working with muriatic acid on your tile job, etc.

As for inside or outside, it seems to me that the only chance for outside is with pretty form-fitting leathers. Most coat style jackets and even my Airflow IV have sleeves too big for any reasonable size glove to fit over. I'd think any glove that would would be a likely candidate for coming off in an accident, which of course is not desirable.

I'm a fairly recent convert to racing style gloves, i.e. tied together littlest fingers, knuckle protection, kangaroo, and straps for tightening to keep them from coming off in an accident. My next thing is to find some goretex winter gloves with similar protection. It seems to me these days, minimum price for safe gloves is $200 and it will be interesting to determine same for winter versions.

Aerostich Triple Digit overgloves. I've tried everything, and they're the only ones that work, tucked inside the sleeves.

... seems to me that the only chance for outside is with pretty form-fitting leathers. Most coat style jackets and even my Airflow IV have sleeves too big for any reasonable size glove to fit over...

I wear two different style of Aerostich leather gloves most of the year. Both have full gauntlets but they fit tightly over the hands and are not likely to come off in a crash. One model even has a Velcro strap that fastens over the back of the hand to tighten the glove fit. They are either elkskin or deerskin. Both types fit well outside the sleeve of my Aerostich riding suit. These work well for me about 10 months of the year, then I go to my Gerbings for the remaining two months.

Back