• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Broke Down at I 81 and Route 20 south of Syracuse

Darryl Cainey

Sir Darby
We have broke down at the above location, can anyone helps us out, we have a 1977 R100RS and Bushtec trailer, we are currently sitting in McDonalds at that intersection. With the holiday weekend we are having trouble reaching anyone at home.

We need to get ourselves of the road and be able to rent a vehicle to get home, get our truck and trailer to come back and pick it up.

We are monitoring the forum and our cell number is 716 380-8320.

Darryl and Terry

Last edited:
We are home

Received help via Ambassador Norm Strawser contacts with the Finger Lakes Club. Ray and Marlene came with truck and trailer, got us off the road to there place, then to the Hertz rental at the airport. We made it home in a rental car, and will be dropping it back of at the Buffalo airport tomorrow then with our truck and trailer back to Ray and Marlene's to pick-up bike and Bushtec and bring them home.

Thanks to all who helped us and to all that viewed our distress call and wished they could help in some way.

BMWMOA members are the best.

Terry and Darryl

JUst saw your post . . . . .

You were in LaFayette, NY. I spent many happy hours driving my BMWs in that area. At least you were near some beautiful hills and foliage. Excellent apples, too.
I hope you got it fixed.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
:thumb

The anonymous book replaced with the forums. Now this is an interesting development.

Two years ago I bent an F650 wheel beyond both amateur and professional repairwhile riding about 1,500 miles from home. Within about one hour I had offers of a haul with a trailer, shop space, several places to stay, and three different wheels I could borrow. All from a couple of posts to IBMWR, LDRiders, and this forum. I was rolling on a borrowed wheel within 24 hours.

Two years ago I bent an F650 wheel beyond both amateur and professional repairwhile riding about 1,500 miles from home. Within about one hour I had offers of a haul with a trailer, shop space, several places to stay, and three different wheels I could borrow. All from a couple of posts to IBMWR, LDRiders, and this forum. I was rolling on a borrowed wheel within 24 hours.

Awesome... The bikers code exemplar!

The anonymous book replaced with the forums. Now this is an interesting development.

I don't know how many remember a number of years ago we had a real time call for a medi-vac chopper come through Thumper Talk where a rider out in the Black Rock Desert had a Satellite uplink for his computer but no phone service and came across a woman having a serious medical condition. it was crazy watching/reading as the medi-vac chopper service came on line and communicated with him via the forum for almost 45 min until he announced he could hear the chopper. When I read that last entry live, it sent a chill down my spine.

These forums do some cool things sometimes.

Last edited:
Anonymous Book

The forum didn't replace the anonymous book, we had tried several numbers in the area where we broke down and we were having trouble reaching anyone at home, since we had our computer with us and McDonald's had WiFi, I decided to post since so many people have smart phones as well as use 411 to look up numbers (of other ambassadors) that were out dated in the anonymous book and car rental companies. When you are stranded any method to get you off the road works.

Thanks to all who make the MOA such a great organization to belong to.

Terry

Back