• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Drive shaft/final drive gasket?

CTellman

I replaced my seal in the final drive because it was leaking into the drive shaft and overfilling it leading to an oil leak.
I have looked at Bob's and Max fiches and do not see a gasket. Does anyone know about this?
BTW I had a tool made to remove the threaded seal retainer in the fd. If anyone needs it I would be happy to loan it.
That threaded retainer requires a special tool and a loooooong 1/2 in breaker bar. It is a bear to break free.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
:thumb

If it's what I think you are referring to (the gasket between the driveshaft housing and final drive housing), I made my own from a sheet of red gasket material when I replaced my final drive on the /7. I can't remember why I did that though... maybe I forgot to order it when was collecting parts. :dunno

Thanks for the reply . . .

I put it together thinking that with the torque and that it appeared OK so no problem. It is apart now for the second time and I will get some gasket material tomorrow.
When I ordered the seal and the gear I would've ordered the gasket if there was one on the fiche!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

i'm going to take a wild guess and say that the reason the fiches do not show a gasket there is because a gasket is not required nor spec'd for that iteration airhead.
a /7 does require a shaft/FD gasket, and it is shown in the fiche for that bike.

you took it apart once before, and put it back together without a gasket, correct? did it leak from that interface? if not, there's your answer as to need.

It leaks . . . .

I know I have new crush washers. Ergo the leak must be the drive shaft/final drive connection.
I will take it apart tomorrow and find out if there is a gasket.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

Being a lifer /5 owner, I don't know from personal experience, but if you spend some time browsing the internet looking at 88-95 R100s, it does not appear that there is supposed to be a gasket between the drive shaft/swing arm and the final drive.

If you assembled it and torqued the fasteners to the proper values, and it did not leak, I think I would do that again. It may be that with a gasket the mechanical integrity of the joint could be compromised.

Perhaps our friend Mr. Snobum, or Anton will chime in shortly with more accurate information. If nothing else, call Rusty at MAXBMW, or one of the guys at Benchmark, etc. and get an expert opinion. What's another day at this point?

edit - posted moments after bikerfish

you said you were leaking from FD into the shaft. that gasket would only secure the connection between those 2 parts, it would have nothing to do with fluid migration from one part to another. that is controlled by the shaft seal within the FD itself.

F/D Oilseal

After I replaced the seal in the front of the F/D the oil leak from the cv joint book stopped. So oil was migrating forward. The gear at the front end of the f/d had a groove where the seal rode on it. I was amazed for this to happen in only 60,000 miles. I have driven other BMWs well over 100,000 miles and not had a f/d seal leak.
My leak now is where the f/d and shaft meet and I am sure a thin gasket will solve the problem. There no leaks from fill or drain plugs.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

Back