• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

using heated liners under rev'it tornado jacket and pants?

ezwicky

hi again,

thanks for the replies to my other thread about powereing heated gear from an SAE adaptor.

my new question is about removing the liners that came with my rev'it tornado mesh jacket and pants, and replacing them with heated liners.... has anybody here done that?

i have a one-piece rain suit, but could of course get caught in rain before having the chance to put it on over the rev'it clothes. what happens if heated liners get wet through the mesh?

thanks in advance,

-eric

a lot of folks do this...I have found that mesh and heated gear don't always work well at speed...you may be warm putting about, however at higher speeds the venting defeats some of the layering effect and you will think your heated liner is not working.

Took a mesh jacket leaving TX and 100 degree heat a few years back....hit some 30's in CO and had to put my rain jacket on to get the gear to do it's job. I was on a low windscreen K12S, but same thing on my well screened GSA when tried.

My liners have been wet...still worked

I do have that same Rev'it suit that I use in the Fall months and I use my heated Tour Master jacket under it. I usually leave the thermal lining in the pants. I did run into rain once, but I have a two piece rain suit so it was easy to change. I never have had the liner get wet, so I don't know what happens in the case of rain.

i got the gerbing liner and it fits under the rev'it jacket and rev'it liner. rev'it liner for wind-blocking, gerbing liner for heat. i was surprised that it does not feel bulky with all that on.

also got a pair of gerbing gloves.

I have a Rev'it Sand suit. I ALWAYS have the rain liner in the pants. Unless I KNOW the temps will never get above 50, my bottom half is jockey shorts, light cotton trousers and the pants with rain liners. Actually have been quite comfortable in cooler temps with that combo too. When it is really cold, the thermal pant liners are great. In the summer, the great thing about those three layers of fabric is that they insulate my legs from engine and road heat.

Top half of the body, I prefer a thin synthetic long sleeve shirt (to get rid of sweat,) and a thin long sleeved shirt except in really hot weather. The Gerbings jacket goes on in temps below about 55, then the jacket with rain liner - all vents closed. The thermal liner that came with the suit I never use. Think about it - a thermal liner will only be perfect at ONE temp, and temp's keep changing as you rise or descend or the day gets warmer or colder. I find I want the variable warmth of the Gerbings below about 50 degrees. Much warmer than 50 and I'm opening some zippers in front, but not changing garments.

I have heated Gerbing gloves. Used them once and should sell them. While they certainly can keep your hands warm in below-freezing temps, control feel is not good and I hate plugging in all those wires. My solution is Held "Warm n Dry" gloves with thin glove liners. That combo is good for me down close to freezing point, which is where I stop riding.

BIG CAVEAT on my advice, or that from any other rider: we all have very individual bodies, and we all ride different bikes. What works great for me or another rider very likely won't work great for you. You just have to see what makes some sense, and then try it - preferably close to home - in different weather conditions, so when you make the big road trip you are prepared with gear that actually works for you.

Ezwicky, my apologies for not reading your posts closely enough before posting the previous post. I think mesh pants are "a solution in search of a problem." In my opinion, our legs do not need ventilation, no matter how hot or cold, but we may well need insulation for both heat and cold. So experiment with first the rain liner in, and then add the thermal liner at varying temps. (I should do just that - perhaps the thermal liner would keep me cooler in really hot summer temps.)

With the rain liner in place and a heated jacket, you should be set for everything, including some rain. For heavy rain, you either need to treat the garment to repel rain, or else buy a rain jacket. I haven't washed or treated my suit since it was new a few years ago (my bad) and my rain jacket leaks at the seams. And my bike is now in the shop.

Yes, I'm an expert on all things about motorcycles - except when I haven't had a few drinks.

I've recently been reading everything I can on heated gear. Warm N Safe (makers of First Gear, and I believe, Powerlet too) has the only liner that is waterproof. Mind you not all their liners are waterproof, just the Generation WP liners. Apparently, WnS is the innovator and Gerbing "gets ideas" from them. Gerbing has a solid reputation and carries a lifetime guarantee while WnS has lifetime on the electrics. Can't go wrong with either but I find myself favoring the WnS route at this time. I understand that First Gear is made to a price so they don't reflect WnS's latest and greatest.

Back