• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Luggage Mounting Brackets for an R65LS

kentuvman

Hi Gang,

I'm trying to locate a set of mounting brackets for my '82 R65LS but I'm not sure what they're supposed to look like.

The R60/5 came with a set of Krauser bags in good shape and mounts but this bike is LWB and R65 is SWB.

Any help appreciated! I did see some on Ebay but again, not sure what will work - also emailed flyingtpot.com as they advertise in airhead newsletter and sell racks for airheads.

Thanks!

Ken...

I bought some Krausers a few years ago for my LWB /5 and they turned out to be for the R65; as it turned out the seller was unaware of the SWB/LWB situation and assumed they "would fit any BMW"

I took some shots for the seller so I could return them. Maybe they will help you out. They don't "fit-up" like the other airheads... the forward tab mount on the top of the passenger peg frame bracket. But knowing this maybe you can round up some more readily available LWB hardware, shorten the front legs, and rotate the front tab 90? when you graft it back on. CAKE!!! ... take ya twenty minutes... tops!!!
icon_wink.gif

IMG_0907_zps437e7cb8.jpg

IMG_0905_zpsc2354ee6.jpg

IMG_0904_zps77a8f7df.jpg

IMG_0902_zpsfcf46921.jpg

It has been a few days since I fooled with my wife's R65; but I surely could swear it was a different animal all together than the slash anything bikes. Was thinking a different frame, different accessories, all that stuff........I could be wrong; but........God bless.......Dennis

Ken...

I bought some Krausers a few years ago for my LWB /5 and they turned out to be for the R65; as it turned out the seller was unaware of the SWB/LWB situation and assumed they "would fit any BMW"]

Thanks for the compliment Lew but there's no way I could ever retrofit the racks in 20 minutes - maybe 20 years!

The picture you posted is just the mount I'd like to find - I put out a request on IBMWR and will find out if Bob's or another dealer might have them. My Krausers have the latch that hooks into the piece shown on your first picture - reminds me of the piece that mounts on a household door frame that catches the locking mechanism.

I'll post a picture of my bag & rack mount goes with the r60/5 - I'm hoping I can find a mount that will work the the Krausers as they're in pretty good shape

Pictures show the krauser latched and unlatched into my existing frame for the bags but for the r60/5 which is a LWB model.

Attachments

• baglatched.jpg
    baglatched.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 27
  • bag unlatched.jpg
    bag unlatched.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 27
Back